Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

redmoe

^^^Is this with a FACTORY replacement Ford part, or one of the upgraded aftermarket units? (Sorry, I did not look back through the whole thread.)

In any case, are you (or the dealer) SURE that the system was bled/'burped' properly, and over days of use, after that initial install/fill?

It’s a Mountune replacement that I did a vacuum fill on. The pics are from a couple weeks of letting the remaining air work it’s way out. I guess it’s possible there could be some air left but the progression of coolant loss over time is pretty consistent.

So I'm told the head gasket "went bad" and it's being replaced with another. They say the head and block are fine. They cannot however explain the root cause of the overheating again. Get it back in a few days and we'll compare the temps before and after and see if any difference. Not holding my breath.

Yes. Doesn't include 2016. But it does say that lack of coolant is the cause....which begs the question, why is coolant level low? It should not be consuming ANY coolant if properly working.....and neither of my cars ever showed consumption of coolant before a failure.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
It’s a Mountune replacement that I did a vacuum fill on. The pics are from a couple weeks of letting the remaining air work it’s way out. I guess it’s possible there could be some air left but the progression of coolant loss over time is pretty consistent.
Probably just a leak from the install. Crawl underneath and see if you can spot it.

redmoe

I have scoured it and can’t find a leak funny part is the level was back up when it checked it before leaving work (9+ hr sitting). I think I am getting fooled by coolant hanging out in the bypass valves. I just picked up a pressure tester so I will give that a go as a sanity check.

Attachments

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
just quit looking at it. it obviously didn't leak/burn anywhere unless somebody broke into your car, popped the hood and topped off your coolant reservoir lol

green_henry

1000 Post Club
just quit looking at it. it obviously didn't leak/burn anywhere unless somebody broke into your car, popped the hood and topped off your coolant reservoir lol
It's true. I had my Mountune radiator installed today and the coolant level changes almost every time I pop the hood -- but always remains above MIN [8D] I'm going to keep an eye on it but I noticed the same issue with the OEM radiator

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
The cooling system is doing what it is supposed to do. As it heats up and expands, then cools down and condenses, fluid is pushed into the reservoir or back into the radiator to ensure the radiator stays full at all times. It is working as designed. Don't sweat it mang.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ok...UPDATE...Dealer just called and said along with the bad head gasket, the "camshaft is cracked, needs a new head".

Now, I've worked on LOTS of cars and never once have I come across a cracked camshaft. I've seen them disintegrated when an engine imploaded, I've seen the journals damaged....but never cracked. And then why the entire head replacement? My guess is they damaged it when reassembling the engine. I think they either dropped it or more likely cracked a cam cap when incorrectly torquing the cam bolts resulting in the need for a new head. This is beyond silly and now car in shop another week.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Ok...UPDATE...Dealer just called and said along with the bad head gasket, the "camshaft is cracked, needs a new head".

Now, I've worked on LOTS of cars and never once have I come across a cracked camshaft. I've seen them disintegrated when an engine imploaded, I've seen the journals damaged....but never cracked. And then why the entire head replacement? My guess is they damaged it when reassembling the engine. I think they either dropped it or more likely cracked a cam cap when incorrectly torquing the cam bolts resulting in the need for a new head. This is beyond silly and now car in shop another week.
I know it sucks to be without your car, but in the long run I would be a lot happier with a new cylinder head.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

me32

1000 Post Club

Your better off with a new head complete

Just checked out my radiator shroud and saw that one of the louvres on the left side had been stuck open. Popped it back into its hinge. I reckon like that it wasnt really pulling the same amount of air through the radiator

me32

1000 Post Club
I actually like them to root cause thing thing and tell me why three completely stock motors that are babied and cared for continue to self destruct..just throwing parts at it isn't good enough anymore.
Why wouldn't you file a lemon law if 3 engines completely self destruct

Ive got more issues. Just ran at autox today, and saw it go up to 5 of 8 bars. No problem.

Running the AC driving in traffic, slowly crept up to 6 bars. Stopped and let it go down to 4, then got out to get a sandwich. When I got back in, all 8 bars were lit and the car was fussy. Quickly went back down to 4 bars.

Im done dicking around. Its under warranty and im taking it in, on a hot summer day.

That said, i have modified the car a bit. What all should I return to stock before I take it in? Unmarry AP, stock air filter, stock spark plugs. Do i need to put the stock catback back on? Overall, pretty bummed about this happening to the newest car ive owned.

UPDATE ... I pick up my new 2018 FoST this week.

Ford is taking the '16 FiST back. They are unable to fix the car and I insisted that I did not want it.

I am sad because when the FiST is running, it is FUN....but it's now been another 6 weeks without it and I'm done having to be known on a first name basis by the entire service department staff.

Ive got more issues. Just ran at autox today, and saw it go up to 5 of 8 bars. No problem.

Running the AC driving in traffic, slowly crept up to 6 bars. Stopped and let it go down to 4, then got out to get a sandwich. When I got back in, all 8 bars were lit and the car was fussy. Quickly went back down to 4 bars.

Im done dicking around. Its under warranty and im taking it in, on a hot summer day.

That said, i have modified the car a bit. What all should I return to stock before I take it in? Unmarry AP, stock air filter, stock spark plugs. Do i need to put the stock catback back on? Overall, pretty bummed about this happening to the newest car ive owned.
Sux man. That is the exact heat soak recipe! Be persistent with the dealer and escalate the issue. My guess is that they will keep it overnight to run a leak down test and find coolant in number 3 or 4 cylinder. Get it in as early as possible because mileage is definitely a serious consideration in a buyback situation.