Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 fiesta st overheating

Gonna post some numbers for reference.
2016 - 17,000 miles - bone stock.

Readings taken with BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices and the free Torque app.

Capture+_2017-07-15-13-12-50.png
Just started car. Temp gauge is at 4 bars, which means it has a range from at least 129 f to 219 f, a 90 degree range. Thanks for nothing.

Capture+_2017-07-15-13-23-35.png
10 minutes on the freeway at 70+, taken in motion

Capture+_2017-07-15-13-28-12.png
Off freeway, about 1 mile of stop and go, taken right when I stopped at my destination which was a feed store with asphalt lot.

At this point I let the car idle with A/C on in the lot and started taking readings at 5 minute intervals.

Capture+_2017-07-15-13-32-22.png
5 minutes idling

Capture+_2017-07-15-13-37-15.png
10 minutes idling

Capture+_2017-07-15-13-42-15.png
15 minutes idling

Capture+_2017-07-15-14-03-57.png
Heading home, 10 minutes at 70+, taken in motion.

In my case the stock cooling package seems fine, however the air box really heat soaks in a hurry.

Attachments

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THANKS for those shots above! [thumb]

It seems that our factory fan, on the high speed/AC setting IS very efficient, given it kept the coolant temps below 205 at idle with the AC on. [:)]

I want to be able to turn the high speed fan setting on without the air having to be on, just in case, at least until I can get a better radiator. ;)

FWIW, I started diagnosing my car for overheating, and my ppt lead me to replace the rad. Before I did that, I vacuum bled the system and I did get some air out, so I'm going to try that and if it's still overheating ill replace the rad.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

In my case the stock cooling package seems fine, however the air box really heat soaks in a hurry.
The stock airbox takes air from the top of the radiator panel, hence the heat soak especially when not moving. The Mountune/ST200 modified airbox adds an additional intake from the vicinity of the fog light. Even my home made version reduces intake temps considerably when stationary. The Bigmouth intake also aids in intake temp reduction.

^^^THANKS for those shots above! [thumb]

It seems that our factory fan, on the high speed/AC setting IS very efficient, given it kept the coolant temps below 205 at idle with the AC on. [:)]

I want to be able to turn the high speed fan setting on without the air having to be on, just in case, at least until I can get a better radiator. ;)
Found a couple sources stating the stock thermostat starts to open at 180f and is fully open at 207f.

I also did a test with the A/C and thus fan OFF while idling, hit 219 and the fan did not kick on. That's as far as I wanted to push it.

Wonder if the AP give access to fan control.

FWIW, I started diagnosing my car for overheating, and my ppt lead me to replace the rad. Before I did that, I vacuum bled the system and I did get some air out, so I'm going to try that and if it's still overheating ill replace the rad.

Hey Pete was year and any mods?

Curious if some over heating issues are mod related, such as a huge bar and plate FMIC blocking the stock cooling package.

The stock airbox takes air from the top of the radiator panel, hence the heat soak especially when not moving. The Mountune/ST200 modified airbox adds an additional intake from the vicinity of the fog light. Even my home made version reduces intake temps considerably when stationary. The Bigmouth intake also aids in intake temp reduction.
If you could post a pic of what you did that would be great.

No physical mods and overheating has happened in traffic so the tune is unrelated. I looked at my freeze frame data and it was within factory parameters. I'd be more inclined to believe it's improper bleeding from the factory leaving a small amount of air in the system.

Mine is a late 16.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Curious if some over heating issues are mod related, such as a huge bar and plate FMIC blocking the stock cooling package.
That specific mod has been mentioned before on here as a possible specific cause of overheating. It was said to help charge temps, but that it could block air trying to get to the radiator. I believe that was said by [MENTION=1907]VirtualRonin[/MENTION] on the Overheated? thread, and I thought it was a helpful piece of information.

Its not an unreasonable argument either. The rad was designed with a specific amount of airflow, a thicker/denser intercooler in front of it would definitely effect cooling.

Pete, since I am in the desert my A/C and thus fan is almost always on.

How about you being up north?

I know it seems counter intuitive but the stock fan shroud seems to work well when the fan is on and the only I have been able to get the fan on is to turn the A/C on.

There is a recall for the high speed fan relay, so you may have an issue. My fan comes on after a certain temp whether ac is on or not. Also it's been over 30*C here for over a month and we have mountains. My ac is on 98% of the time.

The stock shroud is well designed, that's why it works well. Your fan should come on without the ac though.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
There is a recall for the high speed fan relay, so you may have an issue. My fan comes on after a certain temp whether ac is on or not. Also it's been over 30*C here for over a month and we have mountains. My ac is on 98% of the time.

The stock shroud is well designed, that's why it works well. Your fan should come on without the ac though.

What year cars is the recall? My 2016 shows no recall on it based on VIN search. Any clue?

It might have only been a ssm. I'll look when I get to work this morning. It was done on my 16 at 20km before I took ownership. It was delivered to a different dealer and transferred to mine at 80km when I bought it.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I checked the NHTSA web and the 2016 Fiesta ST has never had a recall of any kind so far. So it must have affected earlier years if it was a recall or a service bulletin for customer service problems of overheating. So far so good on recalls!

People on here really need to stop just looking for problems where there aren't any. If your car hasn't overheated, don't worry about it. If it has, bring it to the dealer. Believe it or not, some of us professional mechanics actually know what we're doing for a living.

When I pull up my OASIS on my vehicle, it has had Recall 16B11. They won't let it go through unless it's a valid recall for the VIN. I don't know what more you want me to tell you. Someone complained that their fan only comes on when the AC is on. I replied with what I have based on my own personal vehicle and my access to Ford data. My 16 has had that particular recall number done and it specifically relates to the problem someone was asking about.

Also, I have no idea how that one poster had to bring it to several dealerships before someone replaced the rad. It's the final step of the PPT for the overheating code that gets set. After you verify the thermostat, bypass valve, and all other components.

People on here really need to stop just looking for problems where there aren't any. If your car hasn't overheated, don't worry about it. If it has, bring it to the dealer. Believe it or not, some of us professional mechanics actually know what we're doing for a living.

When I pull up my OASIS on my vehicle, it has had Recall 16B11. They won't let it go through unless it's a valid recall for the VIN. I don't know what more you want me to tell you. Someone complained that their fan only comes on when the AC is on. I replied with what I have based on my own personal vehicle and my access to Ford data. My 16 has had that particular recall number done and it specifically relates to the problem someone was asking about.

Also, I have no idea how that one poster had to bring it to several dealerships before someone replaced the rad. It's the final step of the PPT for the overheating code that gets set. After you verify the thermostat, bypass valve, and all other components.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The last time I had it at the dealer (for the free alignment check they offer), they checked for ANY recalls/TSBs/SSMs/etc., and they could not find ANY at all for my car and it's VIN.[:)]

The last time I had it at the dealer (for the free alignment check they offer), they looked up ANY recalls/TSBs/SSMs/etc., and they could not find ANY at all for my car and it's VIN.[:)]
Then none apply to your vehicle. I'm not sure what you're getting at here.