Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.6 Ecoboost "Lifetime" Timing Belt

Yeah....aren't timing belts supposed to be switched out every 30k miles or so, or am I just really old now?!?

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Yeah....aren't timing belts supposed to be switched out every 30k miles or so, or am I just really old now?!?
You are really old now lol! My previous experience with timing belts are every 60K-80K depending on make or 5 years, whichever came first. I personally like timing belts better because..

A) on some cars you can actually pop the cover off and "check" them
B) less valvetrain noise
C) usually less of a pain in the ass to change
D) usually cheaper parts
E) no need to deal with crap tensioners or guides

I think because our motors have the belt sump lubricated, it should in theory last up to the 150K mark :)

You are really old now lol! My previous experience with timing belts are every 60K-80K depending on make or 5 years, whichever came first. I personally like timing belts better because..

A) on some cars you can actually pop the cover off and "check" them
B) less valvetrain noise
C) usually less of a pain in the ass to change
D) usually cheaper parts
E) no need to deal with crap tensioners or guides

I think because our motors have the belt sump lubricated, it should in theory last up to the 150K mark :)
Lol I guess I am. I still don't understand how a belt can be sump lubed. Rubber and lube on a belt don't really seem to go together to me....lol.

OP
airjor13

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
Lol I guess I am. I still don't understand how a belt can be sump lubed. Rubber and lube on a belt don't really seem to go together to me....lol.
Me either! This is the first time I have ever seen this set-up, the belt could be a composite material, not rubber. I will have to go to the parts department to pick one up just to see what it looks like and what I will be in for!

Awesome pics, thank for showing that. So is there a cover over the entire belt normally then? I'd assume so.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Asked this question across a few boards but no definite answer. If someone works for Ford corporate or at the dealership, can you answer if the timing belt for the 1.6 Ecoboost is really sump lubricated and "lifetime"? It might be just me, but every time I see the word "lifetime" applied to an maintenance item, it usually means 100K service [thumbdown]
Ours according to the manual only lasts 150,000 miles.

The 1.0L Ecoboost runs in oil and I am sure I read some where the 1.6L runs the timing belt in oil as well.

http://www.ngfeurope.com/~/media/NGF%20Europe/Site%20Content/News/Automotive%20Design%20Europe%20Feature.ashx
Yeah, I've read about the 1.0... But just looking at all the pics of the 1.6, and cannot see how the oil would get there.. the crankshaft is sealed off, and so is the sump.. unless they have a jet and drain system or something...

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Looking at the images, 1.6 does appear to be a dry belt set up with a conventional oil seal on the crankshaft before the timing belt.