Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.6 Ecoboost "Lifetime" Timing Belt

Steve@Tasca

Vendor
Thanks, that's very helpful, I just got the car and have been making up a maintenance schedule. I usually go further than the factory recommendations.The factory 150K timing belt interval seemed way too long for me, I thought about planning to change it no later than 75K miles. Based on your post as a Ford insider, I will probably lean more towards 8 years, especially since I generally put low mileage on a car. I've only been driving about 5k miles a year, although this car is so fun and gets such good gas mileage for a fun car that I hope to put on more. But at 5k miles a year, that would be 15 years to 75K miles, way too long for a timing belt for me. I would rather over-maintain than under-maintain, especially when it comes to risking breaking a timing belt in an interference engine.

I'm curious, do know about what Ford dealers charge for changing a timing belt on a 1.6L Ecoboost engine?
It's always possible the design is much better than the old SVT but the system looks very similar, sorry but I have no idea about labor rates.

-Steve

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There are special service tools shown in the manual including a special cam locking tool, crank alignment tool, flywheel locking tool and a couple others. We'll see what happens when someone tries to do one on their own.

Found this bit of text in the manual for both standard and EB 1.6s so it appears I was wrong about the base 1.6 being non-interference. "NOTE: Do not loosen or remove the crankshaft pulley bolt without first installing the special tools. The crankshaft pulley and the crankshaft timing sprocket are not keyed to the crankshaft. Before any repair requiring loosening or removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt, the crankshaft and camshafts must be locked in place by the special service tools, otherwise severe engine damage can occur."

I'm not aware of any issues with "belt whip".

-Steve

THANKS!

Yes, it would make sense that even the NA 1.6 would be interference as well, since it is the same basic architecture as the EB 1.6.

Did I read the Ford site correctly in that our EB engines are 11.0:1 compression [crazyeye], or is that a misprint, and only the NA 1.6es are that ratio? [???:)]

10:1 if I read the manual correctly, 11:1 for duratec NA 1.6. If your saying the Zetec timing belt was hard, then I should be able to tell my 9yr old son to change the timing belt on the 1.6. All you have to do is line up the dots, arrows, notches, whatever, rotate the engine 360 degrees by hand and check the alignment references and fire it up.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
10:1 if I read the manual correctly, 11:1 for duratec NA 1.6. If your saying the Zetec timing belt was hard, then I should be able to tell my 9yr old son to change the timing belt on the 1.6. All you have to do is line up the dots, arrows, notches, whatever, rotate the engine 360 degrees by hand and check the alignment references and fire it up.
From the post abovenon-interference. "NOTE: Do not loosen or remove the crankshaft pulley bolt without first installing the special tools. The crankshaft pulley and the crankshaft timing sprocket are not keyed to the crankshaft. Before any repair requiring loosening or removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt, the crankshaft and camshafts must be locked in place by the special service tools, otherwise severe engine damage can occur."