Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

installed drop coil and something is WRONG

ok I see but what rastok said is if he rotate it completly until the coil spring end touch the rubber stop the coilbspringbis rubbing against the fender edge and the only way he found to avoid it from rubbing is by turning the spring like he did...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
ok I see but what rastok said is if he rotate it completly until the coil spring end touch the rubber stop the coilbspringbis rubbing against the fender edge and the only way he found to avoid it from rubbing is by turning the spring like he did...
And that's why I'm saying that something is installed wrong.

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #23
there is no possible way... when the bottom of the spring is all the way against that ''stopper'' it will rub on top... the bottom of shock assembly is bolted to the hub and the spring sits inside it, you cant do nothing agaisnt that.... then if the spring is all the way at his place it will rubs on top.. the top hat has zero effect on this... idk if im clear and you understand my english is not really good...

the only thing could be wrong spring or bad design...

another thing, about camber plate.... this would make sence... when i first reinstalled the shock in I didnt pay attention but the 3 top hat bolt are really small compare to the holes drilled throught the shock tower.. so there is a good 1/8 inch of play there... the second time after i did fixed the spring I took good care of pulling the strut the maximun away fron the body where it was rubbing.. maybe that helped too.. when you thing about it it was not rubbing alot maybe just that would have been enough....

me32

1000 Post Club
Based off the pics provided it seems the spring itself is not sitting properly on the strut. Is it possible that the springs sent are not the correct ones? It almost looks like the spring is too short in the pic.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just to beat the dead horse into total submission, the lower portion of the spring is not seated against the strut stop. You must use the stop or the spring will eventually find it's way to it and rub again. Seat the spring properly in the strut and then turn your attention to the top mounts. As dyn085 said, the top mounts will have a "lean" to them. That lean is meant to pull the spring away from where you are rubbing.

Hey in the Suspension lowering spring treads I saw this from that member:

mweidner311 said:
02-27-2016 11:14 AM
Anyone experiencing spring bind with any brand of lowering springs? I put a set of Vogtlands on and they're binding bad.

The Vogtland springs I noticed are missing the rubber spring isolator many manufacturers put on one of the top coils.

Just curious if anyone has the same problem with other brands before I pull the trigger on a different set.

I noticed Suspension Techniques wasn't on the list on page one. I'm contemplating picking those up since they're manufactured by KW.

Edit: looks like it was "user error". I dug into them again today and noticed one of the coils on both sides was rubbing on the wall of the strut tower. It removed some paint from the tower and powder coating from the springs.

I loosened up everything and grabbed the top of the strut and pulled towards the outside of the vehicle while tightening up the top mount nuts. It looks like the little amount of play in the top mount holes was all I needed.

I have zero issues now after pulling both sides as far out as I could and bolting the top up before tightening up everything below.
Last edited by mweidner311; 02-27-2016

** rastok your not the only one you got this problem**

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #30
good to read... i did exactly the same as this guy while tightening the top screws.... ill leave the spring like that i guess even if they find their way back against the stopper it wont rub anymore.. quik question is my aligmennt guy gonna play with those screws while doing the allignement...

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #31
the top hat has zero lean what so ever.. maybe all other cars you saw in your life had but our doesnt...

dyn085

2000 Post Club
the top hat has zero lean what so ever.. maybe all other cars you saw in your life had but our doesnt...
Why are you only focused on the top hat and completely ignoring the bearing? Is the bearing flat, where it meets the spring, or is it contoured to accept a spring? The bearing is what centers the spring on the strut (and has the 'lean') and most everyone refers to the bearing/top hat as one assembly using either term.

Everything you're saying sounds like an installation error. I know you don't want to hear that but if you put your pride aside for just a minute you'll understand that we're trying to help you, not bash you. There's always the possibility of manufacturer error but I don't recall a single Vogtland owner on the FiST having this complaint/issue.

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #33
I know your trying to help me, and you do, and i really appreciate it trust me, its not a pride or ego thing ... i really loook and inspect carefully inside out this hat/bering part and i saw any angle/lean where the spring '' should '' sit in... its snowing like crazy now where is live when its back to normal weather ill take the thing apart again and try to get this thing to work properly with the bottom of the spring at the right spot.. like the other guy said and I notice by myself too the top screws has play in them maybe its just a question on 1mm and you need to pull the strut towards the putside while tighting it...

Butterybunz

I'm experiencing a similar issue after my ST Coilover install. I will take the suggestions in this thread when I pull out the front coilovers this weekend. I am getting a binding/clunk sound when making low speed turns.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
[MENTION=829]rastok[/MENTION], yours is probably doing it because you didn't set the spring against the stop, so it's shifting around on the strut.
[MENTION=1664]Butterybunz[/MENTION], How low do you have them set? Even though manufacturers will tell us that they can drop x amount, there is usually an ideal setting and then there's the "too low but within advertised range" setting. If too low, the spring will be compressed too much and bind when you turn it. This is simply because a compressed spring is stiffer (rare but windings might touch) and fighting you as you turn the wheel. Hence the boing bong bong you get when turning. I have a set of BC racing on wife's grocery getter and it drove me f'in nuts for months. Ultimately, raising the coils just a tiny bit to unload them a touch shut it the hell up.

But remember, coils can be noisy. Aftermarket suspension is PITA folks...but soo worth it [driving]

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #38
Nah, you got everything upside down there..

I had rubbing BEFORE I turned the spring to the position they are now.. Now I have no more running.. What we are trying to figure out is why it had rubbing BEFORE I had to turn the spring.. I'll try to put them back to where they belong and tighten the top screws while pulling the strut away from the shock tower.. Maybe it's a close call and that's all you have to do..

Butterybunz

My problem was fixed this past weekend. It was my fault, I did not tighten the big bolts that connect the strut to the hub correctly which resulted in them loosening over time and causing the noise.