Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

installed drop coil and something is WRONG

hey guys, i finally installed my vogtland drop spring and now up front it feels like the springs are moving when i turn the wheels i can ear the springs move and making some weird sounds when i turn the wheels.... any idea of what could be wrong, ive dropped a few cars using springs and its the first time this hapends to me.. the top nut is in all the way and a could still move the top plate with my hand.. everytings is in at the right place and i have no rubbing.. ?

Hey rastok! I recently installed Vogtland lowered coil springs too and same to you I was able to move the top plate... I was uncertain if it was nornal or not...I haven't run my fist yet...still sit on the blocks in the garage but I'll follow up with you if I have the same issue...!
I have done some research before to install the coils bcse I found that part # on the front coils was in fact same as the Mazda 2 ones on the Vogtland coils springs catalog list...let me know if you find something else.

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #4
:/ doenst sounds like good news

i know theres has to be movement in the assembly to allow the wheel to turn but now with this noise idk anymore..

Fiesta St Part #953113 / Mazda 2 #958096. Let me know if you can take a look on you coil spring to see which # is indicating.

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #6
What do you mean? I ordered the fiesta st ones... 953113.. Was evennwritten on the box..

Yeah same for me I've ordered the ST ones 953113 but on each coil spring I saw a number written on. The rear springs was 953113 but front was 958096 which in the Vogtland catalog is for Mazda 2... They have the same compression ratio but that's what I've saw and if iy'd the same for you maybe it can be related.

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #9
ok good news, problem found, and fixed!! i took everything back out tonight and i found what the problem was. the first top coil of the spring was rubbing on the inside of the shock tower while turning the wheels... causing this weird noise.. i had to open the assembly and rotate the spring id say 1/4 turn so it would not rub anymore and tighten everything back solid... hope it stays there now... as for the top hat it will always rotate even if the shock top nut is tighten correctly. there has to be some sort of rotation happening to allow the wheels to turn... and for the spring numbers mine didnt had the same numbers on the back and on the front.. i guess no stress there!

here you can see the rotation i had to do

dyn085

2000 Post Club
You're going to want to rotate that spring back into the stop and adjust your top hat/bearing correctly, springs aren't meant to sit like that.

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #11
The top hat has nothing to do with where that spring will end up.. You can rotate the top hat 360 degree if you want its mounted on a bearing.. This is the only way to fix this issue ...

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #12
Or you tell me cuz I can't think of another option... Besides my big f****** hammer

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Silly question... But they wouldn't happen to be upside down would they?

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #14
Yeah I tried flipping them too.. The other way around the hat won't sit straight at all..

dyn085

2000 Post Club
The top hat has nothing to do with where that spring will end up.. You can rotate the top hat 360 degree if you want its mounted on a bearing.. This is the only way to fix this issue ...
I'm not saying the top hat has anything to do with the end of the spring because it's supposed to rotate, but there should be a correct alignment for it along with the position of the bearing. The bottom of the spring is what I was mainly talking about, that stop that you rotated it out of is supposed to keep the spring itself from rotating.

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #16
Yeah I understand but when the spring is against that stopper it will rub on top... But when you
Look carefully that stopper is just a thin flexible rubber that's really not holding much.. I'll keep an eye on the spring see if it moves from where I left it... So far I have no more rubbing so I'm happy..

ok good news, problem found, and fixed!! i took everything back out tonight and i found what the problem was. the first top coil of the spring was rubbing on the inside of the shock tower while turning the wheels... causing this weird noise.. i had to open the assembly and rotate the spring id say 1/4 turn so it would not rub anymore and tighten everything back solid... hope it stays there now... as for the top hat it will always rotate even if the shock top nut is tighten correctly. there has to be some sort of rotation happening to allow the wheels to turn... and for the spring numbers mine didnt had the same numbers on the back and on the front.. i guess no stress there!

** Ok good to know for the part #s ... I'll verify if my coil spring will rub when I turn my wheels completly and let you know if I have the same issue ! **

No rubbing for now when turning the steering completly left or right but my fist is on car stands ... I looked at the left coil spring when steering completly left or right and he's really close to the edge so it might rub when the car will be on his wheels with all the car weight putted on. Will see...

You're going to want to rotate that spring back into the stop and adjust your top hat/bearing correctly, springs aren't meant to sit like that.
Hey dyn085!
Do you mean like maybe adding a camber plate to be able to adjust the top plate position to allow the spring to be sit as he's supposed without rubbing on the fender edge?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Hey dyn085!
Do you mean like maybe adding a camber plate to be able to adjust the top plate position to allow the spring to be sit as he's supposed without rubbing on the fender edge?
No, I mean turning the spring clockwise until it hits the stop, which appears to be 3-4" away or so based on the pic. Springs want to rotate with compression so the stop ensures that the only rotation occurs at the bearing.

I haven't seen our bearing specifically, but they are usually made with an angle on the spring-side to center the spring properly.

Ford Community Posts