Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

My Audio Overhaul

It all started less than one month after purchasing my 2016. Bought a 2015 wiring diagram for about $50. Hoped Ford did not change the wire colors! Then soldered in some 9wire.

Then mounted an Audiocontrol lc7i and a pdx v-9 under the drivers seat.

Then built a custom box for 2 12" MB Quart flat subs.

And made a cover plate that is only 3/8" taller than the factory floor. Had to use a compact spare from my 2000 zx3.

And Polk db6.5 front and rear.

Very Nice install! I'm impressed you kept the spare and stuffed 2 twelves in there and barely took up any trunk space.

I have a few questions:
*Did you retain the Sync3 head-unit and then use the LC7i to feed the Alpine amp?
*Which Alpine is that? PDX series?

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #5
Probably spent about a grand total. I tried to do a budget build that could leave room to grow. The amp is an Alpine pdx-v9. 100x4 and 500x1, and is fed from the Audio control. Still stock sync3.(limiting factor)

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Do you have any videos of the sound system?

tojo

Looks great!
Wish I be that hands on, find I am wishing for more that the stock audio.
But not able to any thing my self. Still looking for a Audio shop near me to maybe do some things.

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #8
Overall, I am disappointed with the sound quality. Some songs sound great, and others are crappy. Even playing flac on the solid state drive. But I am not ready to change out the head unit.

Waterfan

Overall, I am disappointed with the sound quality. Some songs sound great, and others are crappy. Even playing flac on the solid state drive. But I am not ready to change out the head unit.
I understand the front stage stock mounting locations are fairly sub-optimal and may be compromising sound quality as much as (or more than) the stock HU. I wouldn't want to change the HU either.

Is the LC7 a DSP also? Maybe some clever RTA tuning can compensate for some of the weakness in the front stage?

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #10
I will eventually move the tweeters up closer to the quarter windows. Even thought about running in a network type of mode, since the amp has an x10 switch available for high pass.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Now that I have my system finished, I can quickly say it's not the SYNC3 holding back sound quality. Of course it doesn't have the EQ control necessary to perfectly dial in a flat response, but the resolution is there.

IMO your issue might be in the LC7i artificially creating low frequencies on top of the stock tweeter locations. The latter being the primary offender, as they're location is awful for sound staging and inherent time alignment. The base of the A-pillar is an excellent location for the tweeters, you'll just have to mount them there and run wires. With the LC7i, try turning the accubass all the way down and see if that makes songs more consistent sounding to their recorded intent.

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #12
I turned the accubass all the way down, and raised the gain in the amp a little. Sounds much better now. Thanks ryephile! Now gotta get on the tweeters!

It all started less than one month after purchasing my 2016. Bought a 2015 wiring diagram for about $50. Hoped Ford did not change the wire colors! Then soldered in some 9wire.

Then mounted an Audiocontrol lc7i and a pdx v-9 under the drivers seat.

Then built a custom box for 2 12" MB Quart flat subs.

And made a cover plate that is only 3/8" taller than the factory floor. Had to use a compact spare from my 2000 zx3.

And Polk db6.5 front and rear.[/QUOTE [MENTION=3817]briandee[/MENTION] - looks awesome! Where did you get the ins for the lc7i? Front speakers for line 1 input and rear speakers for line 2 input?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
briandee
Thread Starter #14
Yes, soldered in some 9 wire directly from the radios wire harness. I love the amp and lc7i under the seat. Shorter runs of wire than trunk mounting.

Yes, soldered in some 9 wire directly from the radios wire harness. I love the amp and lc7i under the seat. Shorter runs of wire than trunk mounting.

thats probably a lot better than grabbing the wiring as its coming to the doors.

I'm just spitballing this but is there an oem harness that i can buy to set up my wiring while still keeping the radio working?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Curious as to where you hooked the 9 wire into for the lc7i. Was going to do the same thing but I’m not sure which wires to cut into behind the head unit. Any help would be appreciated.