Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spark Plug Install

So here is the deal. My dad and I are installing stage colder plugs from Tune+ but the plugs don't seem to be setting. We are getting, what feels to be, no torque when installing the plugs. They seem to start to tighten, but then it loosens back up. We can't pull it out with a plug socket so we would have to guess that they are in there really well. Anybody else run into this when changing plugs?

Mind you we aren't noobs by any means. Are these just that deep or ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Are you saying that they won't torque up at all or are your describing the feeling while threading them in? If it's the latter, that's normal. If it's the former...you're in for a bad day unless your OEM plugs can torque up.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
My normal plug socket doesn't fit when changing plugs on this car.

I use a normal 5/8 socket (I believe that's the size) to loosen and tighten the plugs.

I use the plug socket to take the spark plug out/start the threads. Then I have to switch over to the normal 5/8 socket again. Hope this helps

dyn085

2000 Post Club

I use a normal 5/8 socket (I believe that's the size) to loosen and tighten the plugs.

I use the plug socket to take the spark plug out/start the threads. Then I have to switch over to the normal 5/8 socket again. Hope this helps
Oh, I understand now. It has something to do with the head because I had to do the same. Spark plug socket to get the plug in/out but a regular socket to torque/break torque. I never took a micrometer to the outside of the two sockets but the spark plug socket definitely doesn't get all the way down.

OP
J
Thread Starter #5
We got the stock plug to torque down.

Does the socket plug make the plug just spin in the chamber? Hence the use of a standard 5/8 socket?

OP
J
Thread Starter #6

Does the socket plug make the plug just spin in the chamber? Hence the use of a standard 5/8 socket?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club

Try using a normal socket to torque it down. If not I would try to shine a light down there. Hopefully you didn't cross thread the head !

I had to do this too

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OP
J
Thread Starter #9
I would hope since the sticker went in that it wouldn't be cross threaded. I'll give this a shot with a standard socket and see what happens

dyn085

2000 Post Club

No, the head just doesn't allow the socket to come all the way down with the spark plug. Basically, you thread the plug further down than the socket can go before it will torque. It must just be a pretty close tolerance compared to the outside diameter of some spark plug sockets.

OP
J
Thread Starter #16
UPDATE: Got it all installed! The socket swap idea was golden. Used a small amount of anti seize as well. Drove for about 60 miles and it seemed to be running just fine. Didn't notice too much of a difference. Now once I data log after this oil change I can send the files to Adam and get my tune touched up! Thanks for the help everyone.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I just did mine this past weekend and never had issues. Stock plugs came out easy and the Tune+ plugs I initially installed with a 5/8" socket wrench attached to a 6" extension and tightened them by hand as far as I could, then did a final 1/4 turn tighten with a socket wrench.

jeff

2000 Post Club
No, the head just doesn't allow the socket to come all the way down with the spark plug. Basically, you thread the plug further down than the socket can go before it will torque. It must just be a pretty close tolerance compared to the outside diameter of some spark plug sockets.
I ran into this issue awhile back. Not all sockets are made the same. I also used a dab of antiseize.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/2671-Spark-plug-socket-size?highlight=spark+plug
Odd... The spark plug socket I use (5/8, Craftsman) does the whole job.
Thanks to all for this thread.

I just changed mine, very odd situation and I know I'm not the first. They come out no problem, but at least in my case, even using the proper size spark plug socket, they will not turn in all the way. The socket prohibits this. The shaft that the plug sits in is so narrow in circumference that the socket can't get in there and therefore the plug won't turn all the way. I ended up taking a dremel to my socket and shaved off a bit of the last 1/2" all around, making it slightly thinner, which allowed it to enter that channel/shaft and for the torque wrench to click. Car seems to run fine. Very odd...........word to the wise.

Maybe the craftsman tools others have referenced are made differently than what I have (off brand spark plug socket set) and therefore work....gonna have to get a set for next time.

me32

1000 Post Club
I have ran into the same deal as others. Takes a longer 5/8 socket with a tight tolerance. Other wise the spark plug won't sit all the way down. Also use antisize. It helps the new plug thread in smooth. I notice that carbon build up on the old plug threads