Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

want to run 15x7.5 rota slipstreams; are spacers needed to clear stock brakes?

LILIKE16ST

As the title states I am interested in running the rota slipstreams in 15x7.5 +40 offset on my 16 FiST with stock brakes. I just picked up the car brand new a couple days ago and I am new to the forum. I wanted to run these same wheels on my 03 svt focus which I am now about to sell and on those cars based on my research a 5mm spacer is needed to clear the stock brakes which I am pretty sure are the same size brakes that are on the FiST. You cannot beat the price on these wheels and I want to run a 195/55/15 bfg sport comp 2 on them. I am going to wear out the stock all seasons that came on the car with the black wheel option it has before I make the switch...but the switch is coming. I just need to know if anyone is running these wheels on their st and if a spacer is required to clear stock brakes. Thanks in advance!
Michael

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have not noticed anybody posting about that particular wheel size and offset but I would imagine it will clear though you could end up with a spacer.

See if you can get a wheel profile you can print out to exact scale, cut it out and see if it all clears, best way to be sure before ordering.

If not able to be sure see if you can send them back if will not fit, trade for something else, get just one to try, etc....

If you do run one make sure there is enough stud length to engage the lugs nuts properly.

That is a very wide tires so glad you are looking a 7.5" wheel for it, would be fine on an 8" wheel as well but the 7.5 should be great:)

OP
LILIKE16ST

LILIKE16ST

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...yes from what I hear those "195" are wider than stock 205s. Should do very good on a 7.5 inch rim. I'd rather run without a spacer but if I did need one it isn't a deal breaker....found some running 16 inch slips but not 15s. Aren't the brakes the same size on the st as the svt focus?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I wish I could help on the brakes but I only drove 5 miles on the stock ones then did my own front and rear BBK's.

In case you may want a front BBK later there is a 11.75" rotor BBK kit in the works that will fit under some 15x8 wheels, I am modding my setup that fits under 9" wheels so I can run some 15x8 wheels for my AS tires.

OP
LILIKE16ST

LILIKE16ST

Thread Starter #5
I don't plan to ever track the car and the stock brakes work very well for the street so the odds of me upgrading them are slim to none. The reason I want to run those 15s is I can take 35-40 total lbs off of my wheel/tire rotational mass which would obviously be a huge increase in performance all the way around....plus its unique as not many people run these 15s (I can't even find anyone running these on here) the tire selection is large and prices are cheap....I can get a full set of those bfg sport comp 2s in 195/55/15 for 331 shipped for the entire set online and they are the same diameter as stock so the speedo won't be effected....plus there's an entire inch more sidewall compared to stock and that would ride much better and protect the wheel plus I actually like the look of 15s on these cars they fit well. So even though I don't plan to track the car the benefits of the swap on the street are plenty to justify the 900 dollar price tag for both wheels and tires brand new. I just hope I can run them without a spacer it'd be nice if someone could chime in who has ran these on their FiST and has experience with the setup. Thanks for the help.
Michael

Bumping this. I used a .072 thick washer on each stud. The very edge of the front wheel makes contact with the edge of the wheel where it breaks to form the wheel lip. Cant think of a better description. Otherwise no problems. It should be said this wheel is NOT for Fiesta's with big brakes.

OP
LILIKE16ST

LILIKE16ST

Thread Starter #7
Yea most 15s won't fit with bbk without major work if even then. I think this is a pretty solid option for our bolt pattern considering its in the 13 lbs range (I think) and is 7.5 wide I'm surprised more don't run it. I ended up going with the 15x8 pro race 1.2s for the extra width and imo looks plus better strength etc for a slight weight penalty (weighed mine at 15.4 each before the center caps were on).

Yup. Other than the simple and very slight shims for the fronts, I was able to fit 225/45ZR15 Hankook Ventus RS3's with no rub or scrape.

OP
LILIKE16ST

LILIKE16ST

Thread Starter #9
Yup. Other than the simple and very slight shims for the fronts, I was able to fit 225/45ZR15 Hankook Ventus RS3's with no rub or scrape.
I like those wheels for sure. If the pro race wheels weren't available the rotas would be on my car as we speak. Do you have any pics of yours? I looked for pics of these on this car and could not find any when I was in the market over a year ago. I seen a few running the 16 inch version but not the 15.

I like those wheels for sure. If the pro race wheels weren't available the rotas would be on my car as we speak. Do you have any pics of yours? I looked for pics of these on this car and could not find any when I was in the market over a year ago. I seen a few running the 16 inch version but not the 15.
I just PM'd you!

Could you put the pictures up Scotman as I'd really like to see them as well.
Would make a lot of sense in comparison to hub drill [biggrin]

Could you put the pictures up Scotman as I'd really like to see them as well.
Would make a lot of sense in comparison to hub drill [biggrin]
I cannot gain access to my flickr account since the hacks. But you can google "2011 ford fiesta autocross" and find images of my blue flame SE hatch with those wheels. I might have posted a front wheel fit of the Rota Slipstream on the page but i cant recall tagging it.

Thats the pics. Between the hack and my changing devices, flickr currently will not recognise me. Back to topic. Those Rotas bolted up to the 11 Fiesta no problem. But on the FiST i had to place .072 thick washers on each front stud to give it just enough room to not have suspension contact the edge of the rim. Tire size was same on both. A 225/45ZR15 Hankook is a true steamroller tire its footprint is stoopid wide for a 15!

OP
LILIKE16ST

LILIKE16ST

Thread Starter #16
Nice I was looking at the flat black versions before I decided on matte black 15x8 pro race 1.2s instead. Those don't look bad at all more people should be running these imo. Did you happen to weigh them without tires? Weight from an eBay seller was claimed to be 12.3 and I've seen other places say like 13.7 I was just curious what they actually weigh. Either way it's a solid option and real good weight especially for a wheel that's wider than stock.

12.3 to 12.5 is what i found with mine. They are desirable for three reasons, to me. They are quite light AND inexpensive, which is a very rare combination. They are wide without having the effect of fitment issues like needing to pull or roll the fender edges or do excessive shimming. The styling is simple/generic and easy to clean or refinish. The whole style/stance thing is irrelevant to me. I like superlight wheels on fwd cars. These wheels are just about perfect from a weight and cost standpoint.

OP
LILIKE16ST

LILIKE16ST

Thread Starter #18
Nice. They also have gunmetal color for our pattern on 18racing.com both that and matte black and they're 146 each. Maybe other will starting going to these wheels more.

Because this item sold out several years ago they are unavailable in any color or finnish. Thus the reason for my discussion of them! They were offered in the past. But, they are not currently available to buy. My reasoning for bringing them back is because Rota/Cosmic Marketing has, in the past, already created them. Its not in any way a new product or design. Thus the effort and cost to bring them to market should not be any great expense to do. Its all about raising demand for a production run.