Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mechanical Changes/Improvements to FiST Through the Years?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
What size front bar did the ST200 get (so that I can measure mine when it shows up and see if it matches).

What exactly is meant by "cheapened dampers" in the later (2016) built cars in the list a few posts above?? [dunno]

What size front bar did the ST200 get (so that I can measure mine when it shows up and see if it matches).

What exactly is meant by "cheapened dampers" in the later (2016) built cars in the list a few posts above?? [dunno]
I'd save yourself the time. I'm pretty sure that change was just on the Euro-spec ST.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
That was from Post#7. The poster said he'd read of some blown dampers on '16's, and wondered if Ford had changed suppliers to cut costs. It appeared he was just speculating on that. I wrote down all changes and improvements that people mentioned. Some were confirmed, some were ones people just wondered about from things they'd read or from the feel of their car. This was in the second category.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That was from Post#7. The poster said he'd read of some blown dampers on '16's, and wondered if Ford had changed suppliers to cut costs. It appeared he was just speculating on that. I wrote down all changes and improvements that people mentioned. Some were confirmed, some were ones people just wondered about from things they'd read or from the feel of their car. This was in the second category.
OK, THANKS! [thumb]

Finally, I found a real mid year mechanical change. My wife and I both drive 2016 fiST's. Mine was a Dec '15 build and hers was built July '16. After measuring, hers has a 21mm front bar and mine has the 19mm bar. Suspension was "softened" says some posts around here but I can't tell much, even back to back driving it's still close. It's hard to tell them apart. You really have to take turns near the limit and even then it's not always apparent. My vote is it's an improvement all be it a very small one. She got it not long ago, I'll report back once I get more seat time in. Can you imagine.... she always wants to drive it!

Reporting back 5,000 miles later. I can tell hers (late 16) is a little softer and rotates more with less effort. While different when driven back to back, it is possible to tell. However, I doubt test driving two a week apart would show the difference.

Last edited:
OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Instant read MPG seems to have been added at some point, there is a thread where an earlier owner says he'd like to have it, and a '16 owner noted that his car did. My '16 has it.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #47
Bump to see if anyone knows of any more changes, especially in light of the recent recall for cooling issues on some earlier ST's.

Hey i felt like chiming in to say that my 2014 with recaros are heated and it cycles. I really like how it does it. Gets intense for a second then starts the cool down.

I own a Magnetic 2017 Fiesta ST. I think Ford eliminated the pen holder in the glove compartment for the final year of this generation.

Either that, or mine is erroneously missing one.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #53
I own a Magnetic 2017 Fiesta ST. I think Ford eliminated the pen holder in the glove compartment for the final year of this generation.

Either that, or mine is erroneously missing one.
I wasn't aware of a pen holder, where is it supposed to be? My '16 does have an elastic strap on the top of the glove compartment to hold manuals or whatever, is that what you're referring to?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I don't think my 2016 has a pen holder either. It does have an elastic strap.

Frankly it's a bad idea to keep a pen in a 140°F glove box anyway... unless you actually like a bunch of ink lining the bottom of it.

I hate to have to listen to stuff vibrate in the glove box and had lined it with felt in my previous vehicle. haven't had to do that so far in this one.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Great thread Capri to ST. My 11/16 FiST feels different than the 17 for sure. The 17 almost feels sloppy in comparison. Jumping out of the 16 into the 17 you can really tell. My wife didn't even notice a difference until I mentioned it, then she drove them back-to-back and said the 16 feels more precise. She did say after driving the 17 for awhile the differences wear off, and the car feels the same... so there's that.