Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mechanical Changes/Improvements to FiST Through the Years?

me32

1000 Post Club
Great thread Capri to ST. My 11/16 FiST feels different than the 17 for sure. The 17 almost feels sloppy in comparison. Jumping out of the 16 into the 17 you can really tell. My wife didn't even notice a difference until I mentioned it, then she drove them back-to-back and said the 16 feels more precise. She did say after driving the 17 for awhile the differences wear off, and the car feels the same... so there's that.
Maybe check the part number on the struts and springs on both cars.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #63
Great thread Capri to ST. My 11/16 FiST feels different than the 17 for sure. The 17 almost feels sloppy in comparison. Jumping out of the 16 into the 17 you can really tell. My wife didn't even notice a difference until I mentioned it, then she drove them back-to-back and said the 16 feels more precise. She did say after driving the 17 for awhile the differences wear off, and the car feels the same... so there's that.
Thanks Truth in Ruin, when I saw your suspension softening thread, I thought the info in that one might add some helpful information to this one.

Instant read MPG seems to have been added at some point, there is a thread where an earlier owner says he'd like to have it, and a '16 owner noted that his car did. My '16 has it.
My 2016 has the instant MPG, average MPG and all that jazz but a 2017 I checked out at a dealership did not have it. When I pushed in the end of the left stalk, nothing happened on the info screen. I can't speak for every option included on the 2017 (as I don't own it) but mine at least is Recaros, sunroof, etc... all options I guess.

felopr

2018: going for a 3 cylinder engine...
wait that is not an upgrade...

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Ecu harness next to the battery is different on my 2017 than any pics I have seen of other years. Previous years appeared to have a lot of slack and be wrapped with light colored foam looking tape. Mine is wrapped super short and tight with black tape.

It looks like the OP might have stopped updating the original post because it does not mention the ambient lighting. Also, it is not mentioned here but the glovebox light was also eliminated in 2017.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #75
It looks like the OP might have stopped updating the original post because it does not mention the ambient lighting. Also, it is not mentioned here but the glovebox light was also eliminated in 2017.
Hey, thanks for calling my attention to this, I have fallen down on my thread maintenance duties. I will go back to the first post and report these changes.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #76
This also motivated me to organize the OP better, so I put it in alphabetical order by part, and highlighted the parts referred to in bold type. This will hopefully make it easier to use.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #77
UPDATED ORIGINAL POST to add information about the cylinder head change for '16 following coolant loss/overheating in some earlier cars which led to a recall, and changes in and above glovebox for '17.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
The newer ones also have a little ridge inside the mirrors on the a pillar. They're supposed to help with wind buffeting when the windows are down. I think that started in '16.

Sorry, no pic.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've seen that the '18 FiST has a back-up camera, which makes me so jealous!

Any other changes in 2018?
Pretty sure that's it. I can't see them doing much now that they'll be discontinued.