Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mechanical Changes/Improvements to FiST Through the Years?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Thanks, I see that now. When I first saw the change reported in the '19 manual, I hadn't fully thought through what a big deal that would be if it was true, with some reporting overheating issues and changing out to Mountune, Mishimoto, and other aftermarket radiators.
It's true that Ford sometimes has incorrect specs in the manuals. As an example, I had found that the part number for the air filter was listed incorrectly in the manual for my '16, the one listed was actually for a Focus ST.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/incorrect-air-filter-p-n-in-st-manual-for-2016.21416/

I guess we'll just have to see if this reported change is in fact correct.
Yep, just really weird they would change the spec the last 2 years but not a larger radiator... I guess we can chalk this one up to another Ford mistake...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Thanks, I see that now. When I first saw the change reported in the '19 manual, I hadn't fully thought through what a big deal that would be if it was true, with some reporting overheating issues and changing out to Mountune, Mishimoto, and other aftermarket radiators.
It's true that Ford sometimes has incorrect specs in the manuals. As an example, I had found that the part number for the air filter was listed incorrectly in the manual for my '16, the one listed was actually for a Focus ST.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/incorrect-air-filter-p-n-in-st-manual-for-2016.21416/

I guess we'll just have to see if this reported change is in fact correct.
I have switched out to a Mountune its in my build thread and I have a 18. I did that because I was planning out but I did actually have a temp spike and warning light overheat on the stock radiator. So I am having a hard time believing they made it larger.

Plus....

It is now in my closet and it is a 1inch. Its not larger. Its the same size as previous years.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #124
Thanks for all the input guys, so it's pretty clear the radiator hasn't changed over the years,so either the new higher capacity coolant spec from the '19 ST Manual is a mistake, or there is an increase in coolant capacity which comes from somewhere else, possibly the coolant reservoir as suggested earlier.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
Still waiting for ron to make one that's not stupid expensive. Maybe I'm just cheap. My 15 has never overheated in 98k miles in social heat.[emoji1696]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Still waiting for ron to make one that's not stupid expensive. Maybe I'm just cheap. My 15 has never overheated in 98k miles in social heat.[emoji1696]
They are totally overlooked because distance and shipping costs, but PumaSpeed has a number of radiator options and even with shipping from the UK the prices aren't too bad... also, their lowest level one, which at least is thicker and a 2 row can be bought for $284 unbranded on eBay.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
They are totally overlooked because distance and shipping costs, but PumaSpeed has a number of radiator options and even with shipping from the UK the prices aren't too bad... also, their lowest level one, which at least is thicker and a 2 row can be bought for $284 unbranded on eBay.
I did not know that. Thx. Mine has never overheated heated in the social SoCal heat, but I just dont like the dinkey oe radiator. I would feel comfortable with a simple 2 row.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just FYI that radiator does not have a bleed valve like the stock, mishi and mountune offerings. You would have to hope that the expansion tank bleeds the radiator out eventually.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Didn't they newer cars also get a redesigned coolant tank after the recall/TSB happened for Overheating? Could it be possibly bigger to accommodate more coolant? Food for thought.....

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Just FYI that radiator does not have a bleed valve like the stock, mishi and mountune offerings. You would have to hope that the expansion tank bleeds the radiator out eventually.
What do you mean? There is a pitcock or whatever right on top. Confirmed by someone who has onec and is clearly visible.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Didn't they newer cars also get a redesigned coolant tank after the recall/TSB happened for Overheating? Could it be possibly bigger to accommodate more coolant? Food for thought.....
Nope, the recall itself is literally for replacing of the hard plastic lines ( with rubber ones) that can break, leak and also, with no low coolant warning, can overheat very quickly with no notice and cause a fire hazard. They also use a180 thermostat and add the missing sensor but that is only on '14 to early '15's and the coolant capacity didn't show as changed until 2018.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What do you mean? There is a pitcock or whatever right on top. Confirmed by someone who has onec and is clearly visible.
It must be in a different location than stock, but its entirely possible that it does exist. I remember looking at the pics and not seeing one.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Nope, the recall itself is literally for replacing of the hard plastic lines ( with rubber ones) that can break, leak and also, with no low coolant warning, can overheat very quickly with no notice and cause a fire hazard. They also use a180 thermostat and add the missing sensor but that is only on '14 to early '15's and the coolant capacity didn't show as changed until 2018.
Err... yes and no? The recall replaced the lines and tank, because of a design flaw in the cylinder head. The old lines are otherwise identical to our stock lines and are at no greater risk of breaking than ours. This was a band-aid solution to replacing the cylinder heads on the older cars with the new design. The old heads overheated and potentially could crack at an oil galley just above the turbo manifold, causing a fire. They do add a sensor (that is not present on newer cars) and the coolant capacity stays the same.

So basically instead of fixing the coolant consumption issue that the cars have, they added a sensor to tell the owner when it was low and needed to be filled.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Err... yes and no? The recall replaced the lines and tank, because of a design flaw in the cylinder head. The old lines are otherwise identical to our stock lines and are at no greater risk of breaking than ours. This was a band-aid solution to replacing the cylinder heads on the older cars with the new design. The old heads overheated and potentially could crack at an oil galley just above the turbo manifold, causing a fire. They do add a sensor (that is not present on newer cars) and the coolant capacity stays the same.

So basically instead of fixing the coolant consumption issue that the cars have, they added a sensor to tell the owner when it was low and needed to be filled.
Yes, the cylinder head had a design flaw as well, but the hard plastic lines becoming brittle and breaking is definitely a part of it. Without the low coolant sensor, it can overheat without warning and once that has happened then the plastic lines are more likely to fail as well. I'm sure with how warm our cars run even when not overheated that they can become more brittle over time as well... So if you mean that the hard plastic lines are just as reliable if the car doesn't overheat, then maybe, I personally doubt it over time, but they are definitely part of the mistake and I wouldn't want them in my car that would now be a full 5 years old.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Hey maybe I'm wrong but to me it looks like it's on the bottom which would make it a drain.
I have zero problems being wrong but if that is a bleeder valve where is the drain?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk