Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mechanical Changes/Improvements to FiST Through the Years?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Mechanical Changes/Improvements to FiST Over the Years.

Carmakers usually make such changes,some small,some large as a car goes through its model year cycle,but they aren't always announced. Lots of folks are getting new RMM's,for example,it would be nice to know if Ford changed the RMM to deal with that issue. I have found that new model info tends to focus on things like a new color or feature, like Sync 3 on the 2016's,the only announced change I am aware of. On my other car, the ABS system was dramatically improved and upgraded one year,but I bet it didn't make it into the new model promo material. People like us who are really interested in the cars then usually have to figure out the mechanical changes and improvements on their own.

UPDATED LIST OF CHANGES AS OF 7/23 reported or speculated on :

AXLE SHAFT SEALS improved for 2016 to prevent leaks
BACKUP CAMERA added for '18
COOLANT CAPACITY reportedly increased from 6.1 quarts for my '16 to 8.5 quarts as reported in the '19 ST supplemental manual. It's possible that this happened earlier, I don't have access to a '17 or '18 manual, if anyone does, please report in. There is some skepticism about whether this really happened, or whether it's just a mistake in the Ford specs in the newer manual.
COOLANT OVERFLOW HOSE now made of all rubber
CYLINDER HEAD changed for '16, with new P/N (reported on the "what will be a future big-time issue" maintenance thread by a member whose head cracked-his car was reported to have a bigger turbo and maybe meth injection.) This fixed a fire risk which could come after the car overheated from a lack of coolant circulating. The overheating could lead to a cracked block and subsequent oil leak that could ignite. This led to a recall on some '14's and '15's. According to member Alkoran- Ford supposedly solved the issue from the 2016 model year on by modifying the coolant passageways (new part # for the head) so there's no hotspot causing failure.
GLOVEBOX- No ambient lighting above for '17- thread references a fix for this-
https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/12993-2017-Ambient-Lighting-No-Longer-Above-Glove-Box-!
Light eliminated for '17. I just rode in a friend's '17 and it appeared the elastic strap/manual holder on the top and the pen holder were also eliminated from the glovebox.
INSTANT READ MPG added by '16
INTAKE-
Plumbing CCV change
for 2016- Possibly to help prevent carbon buildup on Intakes
Here's a thread reporting Intake Tube change-
https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/6427-Intake-tube-change-for-2016
MAF monitoring/Intake (Air Box),and High Flow Induction Hose changed for 2016
MUFFLER [L]ater year cars seem to have a slightly more burbly rear muffler (part no. D2BZ-5A289-B rather than A). This was reported by member foodtruck in a 1/22 thread on exhaust upgrades. My '16 has that B part number.
REAR MOTOR MOUNTS stiffened for 2016, some follow-up from '17 owners reports this too.
SEAT HEATERS cycle On/Off for 2016 on Recaros(but also reported to do so on a '14 and '15)
SPEEDO OR TACH changed during 2014- redline changed
SUSPENSION-
Bushings
softened for 2015
Softer springs and shocks all round and a stiffer rear torsion beam and front anti-roll bar � both by 33 per cent � in an effort to improve both ride quality and handling precision for 2016
[Post #38 in this thread contains more information from a 7/16 Evo article about these changes.]
The suspension changes described above for models from '16 on reportedly originated in the European ST200 model and became incorporated into all the cars. @Dialcaliper recently (2/24) posted a link to some Ford promo material about the ST200 describing those suspension changes, and I am adding that here.
"The Fiesta ST200 utilises recently upgraded Fiesta ST suspension and Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) settings to improve ride quality and driving dynamics. A rear twist-beam with 27 per cent more roll-stiffness and a front anti-roll bar increased to 21 mm from 19 mm diameter support revised damper specifications for better impact absorption."
New shock P/N reported for '17. I've seen reference to a number of changes on the shock P/N's through the years.
THERMOSTAT changed to a 180-degree one from '18 on, as reported by @danbfree
WIND DEFLECTORS added to the molding between both front triangular windows and the main front windows, near the side view mirrors, during the '16 model year, as reported by @Intuit at Post number 176 of this thread.

Just FYI there's also a guy on the "what will be a future big-time issue" thread reporting over 164k trouble-free miles (even reports little stuff like window motors,start button and locks are fine) with basic maintenance but very frequent (~every 2-2.5k) full-synthetic oil changes! He's added a lot of power to the engine,still has the original clutch, and drives on some bad dirt roads with big potholes. His car is dry underneath,no leaks.That's great to hear.

I'll update the list of Changes/Improvements as comments come in or as I find things. If anyone sees any that I've missed, feel free to PM me and I'll add them.

Last edited:

Chuckable

Great question which I'm sure will be debated in the years to come. From what I've read on the internet (which must be true, right?) the suspension bushings were softened after 2014. I have no proof of that, of course. Otherwise, I don't even recall reading or hearing about any other changes besides Sync 3, which you already mentioned.
I'm subb'd for updates, though, because I'd like to know myself. [pcpunch]

Oh, and can I say that anyone who has an NSX and a FiST must have good taste [thumb]

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
there's one possible mechanical change,then-the softened-up bushings. I found a thread that said that had been confirmed by a race car driver who would know the difference. Thanks for the kind word about the cars.

Its funny that u bring up the rear motor mount. I test drove a 15 and could hear what people where talking about when it sounds like the engine is hitting the fire wall. I ended up getting a 16 and have not had that problem with mine. I also haven't smoked the clutch out on mine like I did to the one I test drove. I don't know if they have changed the rear mount on the 16 model or not but it would be good to know considering that a Cobb stage one package is in my future

I have a 2016 as well. Never been in a 14 or 15 so can't say anything about that. I feel like my car drives smooth. Even when pushing it a bit. I have a mountune rmm and short shift kit thats waiting to go on, just didn't have to time to do it yet.

I am also interested in hearing about any changes to the FiST.

Subbed for updates too.

I'm at 3,8xx miles in my 2016 and haven't heard anything like the engine hitting the firewall.

I am new to the Fist (and new to this forum) but have been reading about some folks experiencing blown dampers early on for 16's. I wonder if Ford changed suppliers to cut costs. Will keep my eyes on mine unless I swap things out for my own reasons. Considering Bilstien coils anyway.

It's interesting that you mentioned this as I experienced the same thing. I have a Stage 1 Stratified Tune with Flat Foot Shifting option. When I tested out the tune on my 16 FiST, I did not notice any clunking or engine hitting the firewall with redline Flat Foot Shifting. Just pure acceleration. Not sure if this is due to the OEM RMM being new (my car only has 1900 miles).

Its funny that u bring up the rear motor mount. I test drove a 15 and could hear what people where talking about when it sounds like the engine is hitting the fire wall. I ended up getting a 16 and have not had that problem with mine. I also haven't smoked the clutch out on mine like I did to the one I test drove. I don't know if they have changed the rear mount on the 16 model or not but it would be good to know considering that a Cobb stage one package is in my future

The other thing I will add to the list is the change to the intake for 2016. I'm not sure of the technical specs exactly, especially not having been under the hood of a 14 or 15, but it seems there was a change made regarding the MAF monitoring that makes fitments of 14 or 15 intakes not possible for a 2016 model.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
thanks all, getting some helpful information here. i have a number of friends who are mechanics, and it occurred to me that mechanics who are familiar with a certain car are often the best source of this kind of info.my dealer is quite small,and doesn't see very many ST's, but if any of you go to dealers that have mechanics who work on a lot of these cars, if you're interested ask them about mechanical changes which have been made.

so far we've got the following possible (not confirmed) changes reported or speculated on:

Suspension bushings softened for 2015
Rear motor mounts stiffened for 2016 (or maybe not)
Shocks cheapened for 2016
Speedo or tach changed during 2014- redline changed
MAF monitoring/Intake (Air Box) changed for 2016
Axle shaft seals improved for 2016 to prevent leaks
CCV change to the Intake plumbing for 2016- Possibly to help prevent carbon buildup on Intakes

keep 'em coming...

I have a 16 and I definitely experienced the engine slamming into the firewall (or whatever is directly behind it). I ended up getting a CP-E RMM and it no longer does it under hard acceleration and shifting. The shift feel got noticeably tighter as well.

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
mountune High Flow Induction Hose - Fiesta ST 2013-2015 - Does not fit 2016 Fiesta ST

this is copied from the MountuneUSA site, confirms a change for 2016 in the induction hose

Bluedrank

My understanding is that at some point the brake pads were changed as well. Maybe in mid 2015 if I remember correctly?

The original pads produced more dust and grabbed better.

My understanding is that at some point the brake pads were changed as well. Maybe in mid 2015 if I remember correctly?

The original pads produced more dust and grabbed better.
I think I saw somewhere, that the cars with summer tires get the older pads. My 16 gets dirty wheels, just 22 miles to work. Mostly highway. And they grip hard!
I have an early build 2016, and the rmm was soft, and banged on 1-2 hard shift. Installed powerflex street insert and full boomba shift reduction. Shifts PERFECT now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
I think I saw somewhere, that the cars with summer tires get the older pads. My 16 gets dirty wheels, just 22 miles to work. Mostly highway. And they grip hard!
I have an early build 2016, and the rmm was soft, and banged on 1-2 hard shift. Installed powerflex street insert and full boomba shift reduction. Shifts PERFECT now.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
That's right about the brake pads. I have the 2016 FiST sales brochure, and it shows "Power front and rear performance brakes with track pads" coming standard on the ST. As an available option it lists "performance brakes with low-dust street pads" coming with the optional all-season tires, so you get the higher performance presumably higher dusting brake pads if you get the standard summer tires.

I read here in the forum the heated seats got to hot and people had to turn them on and off.
On my 16 it cycle on and off by it self. Any one ells?

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
UPDATED LIST OF possible (not confirmed) changes reported or speculated on:

Suspension bushings softened for 2015
Rear motor mounts stiffened for 2016 (or maybe not)
Shocks cheapened for 2016
Speedo or tach changed during 2014- redline changed
MAF monitoring/Intake (Air Box),and High Flow Induction Hose changed for 2016
CCV change to the Intake plumbing for 2016- Possibly to help prevent carbon buildup on Intakes
Axle shaft seals improved for 2016 to prevent leaks
Heated Seats cycle On/Off for 2016 (but also reported to do so on a '14 and '15)

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Does anyone have a picture of their pre-2016 rear motor mounts? I will be taking pictures of mine soon so maybe we can compare to see if there's any differences between the 2016 and earlier year models.