Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mechanical Changes/Improvements to FiST Through the Years?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Interesting tech. I thought they were measuring tire temp. Makes more sense that they'd be using this instead.

The rear motor mount on the 2016 is somewhat easy to max out at high RPM as well.

If I had to choose one mount as the "weak point", it would be the rear. I'm curious about how the rubber on that mount, compares to the other three. Stiffening it may transfer additional torsional stresses to the front mount, possibly roll off more to the sides?

I almost never drive the RPMs high enough to max it, so will leave it alone. Open differential typically breaks traction before RPMs get high enough anyway. It's really that centrifugal force of high RPM that maxes it.
The rear motor mount is also known as the "roll restrictor", and is certainly not specifically for high engine RPM. In general, it's a significant factor in maintaining traction for any FWD during all but the most gentle of acceleration as the momentum force naturally pushes the weight of the engine backward and off the wheels. Sure, it may transfer some additional force to the other mounts, but certainly not much as the vast majority of momentum places that force on that one mount. What I have noticed the most difference in is during engine startup I can now hear the exhaust rattle more, but comes across as a somewhat satisfying growl indicating the car means business, and is certainly not stock. :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah I think that even with the update the stock Mount is mediocre at best. I never really experienced a lot of wheel hop or banging with my stock now but even so the mount I have now makes the car feel so much better all the way around it's a must-have mod even if we will hop and engine banging the firewall wasn't an issue to begin with
I didn't experience engine banging but certainly excessive wheel hop after my tune with the stock mount, and now I am getting more tire squeal instead of wheel hop on aggressive launches and gear changes, exactly as I hoped for... but yes, also more rigid and precise shifting, with only a very mild increase in vibrations at the stock idle speed of 850, even with AC on... So very happy overall!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Interesting tech. I thought they were measuring tire temp. Makes more sense that they'd be using this instead.
Nope, NOT THAT device, but yes they and others also manufacture tire temp gauges, as well as many other devices.

I have their analog version of that to check the effects of age, and heat cycling on (yes, even street) tires. ;)

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #105
The engine coolant capacity was increased from 6.1 quarts for my '16 to 8.5 quarts as reported in the '19 ST supplemental manual. This will also be added to the original post.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
The engine coolant capacity was increased from 6.1 quarts for my '16 to 8.5 quarts as reported in the '19 ST supplemental manual. This will also be added to the original post.
Wow, that's a big find, I'm surprised this was never found before! So this means it likely went to the 2 row and/or 40mm, that's really interesting, time to research the different radiator part #'s!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Yeah that would be nearly a 30% increase. (28% to be more precise)
That doesn't necessarily translate to more cooling though, they're not going to make that change for nothing. On the scale of tens of thousands of cars to sell, logistically that adds up to A LOT more fluid to produce and store.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
That doesn't make sense. Not saying you're wrong, but why would they change that in the last model year?
The '19 is the same car as the '16, but with a camera.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I checked the supplement manual and for 2018 it also shows 8.5L, it's the 2014-2017 that are 6.2L... So now we know, not only did '18-'19 get the rear camera, they also got a larger radiator.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
That doesn't make sense. Not saying you're wrong, but why would they change that in the last model year?
Actually the '17 got a slightly softer suspension over the '16 and it's actually the '18 also got the larger radiator, you can verify all these facts easily with the online supplement guides for each year.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Actually the '17 got a slightly softer suspension over the '16 and it's actually the '18 also got the larger radiator, you can verify all these facts easily with the online supplement guides for each year.
Was that on all Fiestas, or just the ST? Seems like a change that big would be across the whole line.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
I tell you what, if there is a bigger oe radiator that the price is not through the roof! I want it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Before everyone gets all excited let's try to prove it first. Plenty of guys out in California with big car groups that could easily take the time during one of their car meets and do some measurements.
I spent some time last night looking at the Ford part websites looking up different years I got the same radiator for all of them, so it would be pretty risky to order one and assume it's going to be different.
The price is around $185 so it would be a bargain, but we need to prove it first.

Let's remember Ford couldn't even properly fill the transmission or give the correct capacity spec.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
^^^^^^ true. There is a big meet on the 20th of October out here in cali. There should be all years to compare.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Was that on all Fiestas, or just the ST? Seems like a change that big would be across the whole line.
This is a commonly known thing that during 2016, when starting production of the 2017 model that Ford gave the US Fiesta the same suspension as the Euro ST200, you can look up the spring rates in every year of the supplement guide and also different strut part numbers.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
^^^^^^ true. There is a big meet on the 20th of October out here in cali. There should be all years to compare.
Well, we already have people reporting on the FB groups, the '19 still have the same 1" thick radiator, I don't get why they would just change the coolant capacity spec for the last 2 years, very weird!

Last edited:
OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #118
I was surprised when I saw this, because it would be a significant change. My source, as I said, was the online '19 ST supplemental manual, compared to the manual for my '16. I thought this would be of interest to people because of all the discussions on overheating, so as @FordST said, let's see if it turns out to be true.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I was surprised when I saw this, because it would be a significant change. My source, as I said, was the online '19 ST supplemental manual, compared to the manual for my '16. I thought this would be of interest to people because of all the discussions on overheating, so as @FordST said, let's see if it turns out to be true.
I had just said right above that '19 owners have already reported the same 1" radiator... so if the '18-'19 got a higher coolant capacity, they went to bigger coolant tank or added secondary one but that doesn't look to be the case either... I wish we could contact Ford for an explanation!

OP
Capri to ST

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #120
I had just said right above that '19 owners have already reported the same 1" radiator... so if the '18-'19 got a higher coolant capacity, they went to bigger coolant tank or added secondary one but that doesn't look to be the case either... I wish we could contact Ford for an explanation!
Thanks, I see that now. When I first saw the change reported in the '19 manual, I hadn't fully thought through what a big deal that would be if it was true, with some reporting overheating issues and changing out to Mountune, Mishimoto, and other aftermarket radiators.
It's true that Ford sometimes has some incorrect specs in the manuals. As an example, I had found that the part number for the air filter was listed incorrectly in the manual for my '16, the one listed was actually for a Focus ST.
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/incorrect-air-filter-p-n-in-st-manual-for-2016.21416/

I guess we'll just have to see if this reported change is in fact correct.

Last edited: