Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FSWERKS short shift and solid bushings review

I installed my FSWERKS short shift and solid bushings today and all I can say is this was an awesome upgrade. It was pretty simple to install (once you got the intake, battery, and battery tray removed) and with short shift set on 25% reduction it makes a huge difference in driving experience, not just from a performance standpoint but even just for everyday driving. I would recommend this to anyone looking make their shifts more crisp and solid and the price wasn't bad either. Also with the install of the bushings, I found that I didn't need to remove the whole shift bracket. I just loosened all three bolts and one at a time removed each bolt and replaced the bushing then tightened them all down once I was finished.

One other weird thing that I noticed was that after I installed everything and put everything back together, I noticed that the auto up feature of my driver's side window no longer works. The auto down works just fine so I'm not sure what exactly happened during the install but I need to try to figure out what caused this.

Bluedrank

Personally this is one mod I'll be skipping. Another member here connected the dots and found that basically every member who was having trouble with their transmissions popping out of gear had some type of short shifter installed. Causation or correlation, who knows. I just know I'd rather not find out on my car.

You wont have any problem unless you reducer too much the throw. I think that most people that have the poping issue is those hoo have combine the transmission with the interior lever. It is mechanical. Reduce too much and the gear will only partially engage on the synchro .

I also don't think the bushings will help much. There is virtually no movement in the stock setup. I have the boomba setup with maximum shift reduction, and have no issues last 4k miles. No popping out of gear. Shifts excellent, with no noticeable increase of shift effort. My stock zx3 shifter now feels like I'm driving a truck!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Love my FSWERKS short shifter, the shift throw at 25% reduction is what it should have been from the factory.

My kit feels like bolt action compared to the stock butter setup and the stock bushings are so squishy they allow the bracket to wiggle and add slop

My kit feels like bolt action compared to the stock butter setup and the stock bushings are so squishy they allow the bracket to wiggle and add slop
Funny, I could not move the shifter base at all by hand with the stock bushings in place. Once the screws tighten down, there is just no play. I think you could remove all the rubber, and still not move it once tightened. Not even sure how the stock rubber bushings are supposed to work. As I tightened the screws, it clamped down on the metal sleeves. The solid ones would, however eliminate the possibility of the base shifting, if subjected to heavy and often shifts.

Funny, I could not move the shifter base at all by hand with the stock bushings in place. Once the screws tighten down, there is just no play. I think you could remove all the rubber, and still not move it once tightened. Not even sure how the stock rubber bushings are supposed to work. As I tightened the screws, it clamped down on the metal sleeves. The solid ones would, however eliminate the possibility of the base shifting, if subjected to heavy and often shifts.

Im not positive but they probably use lock tight and dont tighten the stock ones as much as you have and maybe you found a cheaper solution just tighten the hell out of the stock bushings

The ones mentioned are on the transmission bracket where the short-shift installs under-hood. I found no need to replace the interior shifter bushings; they are sufficiently firm/stable.

Also with the install of the bushings, I found that I didn't need to remove the whole shift bracket. I just loosened all three bolts and one at a time removed each bolt and replaced the bushing then tightened them all down once I was finished.

One other weird thing that I noticed was that after I installed everything and put everything back together, I noticed that the auto up feature of my driver's side window no longer works. The auto down works just fine so I'm not sure what exactly happened during the install but I need to try to figure out what caused this.
Nice tip on the bracket install, wish I would've tried that! Also, like others have said there is a reset procedure for the window, however mine reset itself after a day or two. That will happen any time your battery is disconnected.

I too have the same combo, however I installed the bushings months after the short shift adapter. I got the adapter on a scratch/dent deal back in January. Out of pure boredom and curiosity I ordered and installed the bushings last week. This setup has been my favorite mod, I don't feel like I'm driving a row boat anymore. The bushings may have a placebo effect, but things are a TINY bit crisper after installing them. The adapter is night and day though, absolutely a must have mod. From what I understand, the stock bushings will wear out over time. In theory, if you replace them at 5k with aluminum you may notice nothing, while if you replace them at 50k it will blow your mind.

OP
F
Thread Starter #16
Nice tip on the bracket install, wish I would've tried that! Also, like others have said there is a reset procedure for the window, however mine reset itself after a day or two. That will happen any time your battery is disconnected.

I too have the same combo, however I installed the bushings months after the short shift adapter. I got the adapter on a scratch/dent deal back in January. Out of pure boredom and curiosity I ordered and installed the bushings last week. This setup has been my favorite mod, I don't feel like I'm driving a row boat anymore. The bushings may have a placebo effect, but things are a TINY bit crisper after installing them. The adapter is night and day though, absolutely a must have mod. From what I understand, the stock bushings will wear out over time. In theory, if you replace them at 5k with aluminum you may notice nothing, while if you replace them at 50k it will blow your mind.
Yea I found the "how-to" online and fixed my auto-up feature, very simple actually.

I can't tell if it is from the bushings, the adapter, or a combination of the two but the shifter feels a lot more notchy now and the engagement of each gear feels much more positive.

anyone notice the top and bottom mating pieces dont seem to match exactly? they are cut with a different curve... or.. do I have a defective one?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
anyone notice the top and bottom mating pieces dont seem to match exactly? they are cut with a different curve... or.. do I have a defective one?
Probably cause the bracket it sandwiches is that profile. Works fine on mine . kind of agree with the 15% setting being optimal .

Probably cause the bracket it sandwiches is that profile. Works fine on mine . kind of agree with the 15% setting being optimal .
I emailed fswerks with some photos, the fit and finish just looks very poor... Its sorta dinged up and the misalignment on one side is huge while the otherside lines up just fine.

I am planning to run 25% since i have a custom 4" piston knob from WCLATHEWERKS.

Has anyone had issues shifting into first after installing theirs? I did 25% plus the bushings. The other throws are all nice and crisp with the typical motion but the slot for first seems narrow and off center. If I push left from neutral until I bump the side of the gate and then push up (normal shifting motion) it feels like it hits something and hangs and I have to back off and ease it over to the right and try again. Sometimes it takes multiple tries. I have found that I almost just have to push up at a 45 degree angle from neutral to get it to slot on the first try, rather than do the usual L pattern. Thoughts?