Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Uber Drivers?

I just did my first day of Uber and have to say that our Fiesta ST is the perfect car for it! It's small fast and cheap on gas so I can actually make some profit! I was way skeptical at first and didn't want any strangers riding in my car but after putting on seat covers I don't really mind it. I work as a Valet at a high end Resort and I'm used to driving guests to and from restaurants and taking them within a fair distance of the Hotel and it pretty much was the same as driving them around in my car. I'll see how it goes and how much money I really can make and see if it's worth it. I figured i make a lil bit more money after my day job.

Be weary about insurance coverage. Look it up on Google. I read a discussion on Facebook about it, but you're technically not covered by any insurance when you are driving to a person with the app on and have no one in your car, and if your insurance finds out you are an uber driver you could be dropped.

That being said, no way I'd want a bunch of strangers in my car.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Be weary about insurance coverage. Look it up on Google. I read a discussion on Facebook about it, but you're technically not covered by any insurance when you are driving to a person with the app on and have no one in your car, and if your insurance finds out you are an uber driver you could be dropped.

That being said, no way I'd want a bunch of strangers in my car.
^^^

I've read that some insurance will drop you if they find out you're working for uber. I do think in recent months this has changed and certain states/insurance companies allow it now. I would check to make sure.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I would also be concerned about your driver's license and registration.
I am not sure if things have changed recently but California requires a "Livery" license to carry people for a fee.

Dave

Uber exists by flaunting everybody's laws, everywhere in the world; declaring their laws do not apply to them because they're a tech company (does that mean internet bank fraud is legal?).
Most insurance companies will declare your regular car insurance null and void if you have an accident while using your vehicle for hire.
If your customer is hurt they will end up suing you, personally, for everything you have for the rest of your life.
Over time, you will discover that after car payments, insurance, maintenance, gas and depreciation, the only one making money is Uber.
I can't see a Fist being the perfect car for this, wouldn't want to be on of three crammed in the back seat!
Wait 'til someone pukes in your Fist!
Good luck!

I just joined with Uber and did my first pickup tonight, an easy 10 bucks for a few miles. Not a bad little job to make a few bucks and the FiST worked great!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
One of the oldest and most viable adages "if it sounds to good to be true, it is" I would do this unless absolutely sure you are covered, as mentioned, it can get nasty for a very long time if anything happens, worth it?

Hey [MENTION=3341]sinister0079[/MENTION] , [MENTION=4917]Joes2016ST[/MENTION] and any other Uber drivers:

How's the Uber-driving going?

Members have said they are going to do this, but nobody has really reported back.

Did you figure it out? How long did it last? Anyone puke in your car?

Let us know your experiences!

I did it for a short time then I stopped. I didn't have anyone that barfed in my car though. I think your chances of that are high if you do it around early morning hours taking people home from bars. I was thinking though about starting it back up because I need some extra money.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
To an insurance company you are nothing but an easy paycheck; someone to be bent over on a bi-annual basis. If there's an easy way out, they will take it. If there is a hard way out and you're low-income, they may take the bet that you won't afford legal representation. If you openly lie on record, (statement to police for example,) you could be bent over on a weekly or biweekly basis; depending on how often your paycheck appears.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I know this thread is a bit old but I need to clear up a few things said in this thread. Among other things I drive for Lyft and have friends who drive for Uber both Uber and Lyft provided full coverage insurance wise for two phases of the process. The phase when you have been pinged for a ride and the phase when you have a passenger in the car. Now the first phase when your app is on is also covered by a limited liability policy from both companies. Now some drivers opt to get rideshare insurance which gives you more coverage in the first phase. This does cost a bit more and there are limited companies providing it.
Yet lets get onto the real question. I have seen and know a few FiST's being used for Lyft and Uber.

I personally have come to the conclusion I would not want to use my soon to be FiST for it though. Mainly because if you do it a fair amount it puts a lot of miles on your car fast and creates a lot of wear and tear.
I currently use a 2012 Focus purchased specifically for Lyft. I am thinking of trading it on a low mileage Ecoboost SFE 3 cylinder Fiesta 2016.
The main thing one would be concerned about is backseat space and trunk space for Airport runs. Those are other details though.