Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

91 vs. 93 octane OTS maps.

Hey for those of you who've tried both the maps, does anyone notice a serious difference in power delivery characteristics? I just gassed up on 91 (been running 93) and switched maps. It feels like the 91 map deliverz much smoother power and torque vs. The 93 map that just makes for rabid delivery with the power coming on extremely forcefully. It seems like the turbo spools much harder and faster, violently so. Any thoughts?

My butt dyno tells me what you just said
91 feels like stock but with more power and no torque limitation
93 feels like the car is going to explode with power and getting traction issues in 6th gear

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
93 feels like the car is going to explode with power and getting traction issues in 6th gear
Yea I managed to lose grip in 6th at 65 mph trying to pass some idiots who couldn't figure out how to drive in snowy conditons. 91 map feels smooth but I just don't like the loss of that rabid engine response. Its like a Jekyll and Hyde effect and scares the crap out of everyone who rides with me. Love it...the yuppy in the BMW 330i ZHP who tried to run a few days ago didn't lol. Dont think he understood what the little thing on my dash spitting out boost figures was.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Try the 91 tune with 93 octane... lol. On my car, the 93 map sucks. I get a huge dip in power going WOT (due to timing being pulled) and the curve never recovers to red line. My situation (and car) could be different though because it is not anywhere near stock. The 91 tune has torque steer from hell, the 93 map doesn't. 50-70 mph acceleration test in 5th gear is also 1.5 seconds quicker with 91 map. Also, the longer I keep the 93 map, the slower it gets. I left it alone for a month. [:p] Here is a dyno test of stock, v.s. 91 map, v.s 93 map. There's really not much difference between the 91 and 93 map as far as raw, peak power and only 3-4 hp difference under the curve. Nothing the butt-dyno is going to feel.

Attachments

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
.....and I've never had traction issues in 6th gear, but then again I don't drive my car in snow and ice... heh [;)]

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Im on the same with Peloton...91map on 93 oct is world of difference better tham 93map. Every gear just pulls hard and strong and don't even have to dig deep in the accel pedal. 1st gear feel good also with the car just wanting to be pushed hard as soon as I release the clutch.

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
I'm aware of the dyno charts but the butt dyno must be retuned I guess lol. I've only had the AP 5 days and I started on 93 map as I had 93 in the tank. Just gassed up yesterday and switched to the 91 map...got a whole tank to burn. Thanks for the advice guys about running 93 octane on a 91 tune. Ill try it as soon as I burn these fossils currently in the tank.

.....and I've never had traction issues in 6th gear, but then again I don't drive my car in snow and ice... heh [;)]
I thought you guys were crazy, and that was before I bought my own car, accessport and dyno testing. Now I know you are. My tests and seat of the pants show exactly what the Cobb dynos show.

My rec is to run the 91 tune with 91 and the 93 tune with 93. I trust the software put out by Cobb.

This is interesting,seems if you have an aftermarket exhaust it's better to run the 91 tune right? Most who have stock setup and maybe just a intake run 93 and claim it's great and pulls way better than 91,but then you guys who are running an aftermarket exhaust prefer the 91 tune, I guess all the added airflow has something to do with it,idk.

Stuntdoogie you have an aftermarket exhaust right?

Also,im confused peloton,your dyno map is clearly showing the 93tune is giving you most power,wouldn't you want to run this,but you did say it runs likes crap,wierd,why does it show better in the dyno result though [screwy]
-ry

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I donot have any boltons. Just the AP and wheels. Waiting in on Cobb before I make an exhaust move.

Wow I'm so confused,so spooledupst is stock and he is stating the 93tune runs great and strong,now your(stuntdoogie) also stock and claiming 93 run no where near as strong or good as 91? Hmmm,gonna have to see what works best when I get mine,

Where did you order your accessport from spooledupst ?

-ry

OP
S
Thread Starter #12
I have the AP and a K&N drop in filter...basically a COBB Stage 1 kit. I've run 93 octane first on 93 octane gas...thing was rabid and honestly I nearly killed myself with it by almost running into a bunch of trees midcorner. Then tried 91 octane map on 91 tune which is what I'm running til tmrw when I've gotta fill up. Less rabid spool but smoother power...dude in a Celica GT today didn't fare too well. Tmrw ill fill up on 93 but leave the 91 map on and see how that goes. Then I'll be trying 93 map with 94 tune from a local 76 station...inconvenient to get but worth the trial. Well see how things go.

I got my AP on Amazon from Works out in West Hollywood...paid $478.00 for it but had to do a big firmware update as it was a 2013 spec firmware. No issues and arrived in 2 days. Love having the Prime deal. No regrets...only issue I have is not enough grip in 2nd on anything higher than 15 psi and a $4000 tax return which I can't spend until COBB releases some more parts.

OP
S
Thread Starter #14
Any update on the 91 map on 93 gas SpooledUpST?
I'll be filling up either tonight or in the morning. I'm running my tank down to fumes to get as little residual 91 octane as possible. I'm down to 10 miles on the computer but I will go below that as I don't trust the little liar lol. Last time I ran down to 0 the pump only allowed me to fill 11.8 gallons before gas started spewing through the bypass tube and onto the inside of my left rear. I think I'll just carry my 2 gallon gas can in the back just in case haha.

I'll let you know as soon as I know. Btw, has anyone noticed that when the AP is first installed or when you change maps, the miles to empty on the car goes all wonky? The first time I I stalled it on a full tank my miles to empty went from a normal 360 or so to 588!!! The next time I did a half fill it said I had 150 miles to empty and after I turned the car on it said 256!!! Can anyone shed some light?

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Spooledup my miles to empty spikes very high also. Sincr day one of my AP install. Gonna try flashing back to stock and see if it still does it cause i have a dealer app sat and dont wan them to notice that.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Havnt driven my car since saturday and probably wont again till thur or friday so....ill let you know then.

OP
S
Thread Starter #19
Yes and no...yes because I can monitor my boost level all the time so I don't spool over 6 psi unless I want to. I've been averaving 27.7 - 28 as opposed to 26.4 when I didn't have it. No beacuse its really hard not to flog the car til the headgasket throws in the towel. Haven't tried the eco map yet...might give it a whirl for a tank someday

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Nice, let me know your results from the ECO map. I might try that also. Mine should be here sometime next week hopefully.