Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

91 vs. 93 octane OTS maps.

OP
S
Thread Starter #41
You may be right. Let us know how it goes. I'm flashing to 93 map as I type. Afraid I won't be able to use all of it though as its been raining in Cincinnati. Can't wait til the summer rubber goes back on in a few weeks.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Yesterday i switched back to 91map with 93oct and made my final decision to stay on 91map. I tried 93map for several weeks to give my ecu time to learn and i gotta say after switching down its a whole other ball game. Every gear pulls hard with minimal turbo lag. It just feels rev happy and wants me to race it. 93 was hit n miss for me, some times it would feel strong and other times not so. Higher gears were definately lacking power towards the end. Who knows, maybe its the gas stations cheating me by putting 91 in the 93 pump?

Yesterday i switched back to 91map with 93oct and made my final decision to stay on 91map. I tried 93map for several weeks to give my ecu time to learn and i gotta say after switching down its a whole other ball game. Every gear pulls hard with minimal turbo lag. It just feels rev happy and wants me to race it. 93 was hit n miss for me, some times it would feel strong and other times not so. Higher gears were definately lacking power towards the end. Who knows, maybe its the gas stations cheating me by putting 91 in the 93 pump?
Do you get the lag /spike on the 91 map like others are talking about?

-ry

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I definitely will. I just like the 93 on 93 right now but everybody is saying 91 on 93 is a better car. So maybe it's worth the try one week to switch to 91 and see how it performs. I just don't want to mess anything up, engine wise. I'm not that mechanically sound, so if something were to be wrong I probably wouldn't know either way. So that stops me from trying new things from time to time.

I tried the 91 map on 93 fuel, and it was overall pretty good. I then switched to 93/93, and it feels more powerful on my butt dyno, with less lag. As such, the power delivery doesn't feel as dramatic (I think lag adds some drama) but it feels stronger overall. Not sure though, but I'm going to keep running 93/93 for a few weeks, then switch back to 91.

Let me know if you notice any difference when you change.
Will do.

Also has anyone contacted COBB in regards to this, or have they stated anywhere they're looking into the different reports? I know a lot of this is unscientific butt-dyno at work, but IIRC Pelotonracer2 for one actually has dynos to show the 91-over-93 discrepancy. I'd be interested in their input. Doesn't help that everyone has slightly different mods, altitude, even max boost can vary by +/- 1.5psi on any given map for identical cars.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
If I recall, they commented in a thread before and stated you should always run the correct map and octanes. But no offense to them, they might have to say that to cover themselves as a company, you know.

I really have no idea but for now I'm staying with 93 on 93. I just don't want to mess with anything by constantly changing back and forth.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
What they mean is dont run a higher map with a lower octane. Keep both the same or the octane higher than the map. Dont go running 93 map with 87 or 91 octane.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Ok heard COBB may be coming out with revised firmware and vr.101 map updates so I will be waiting till next week to see and swap maps then ..

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I'm currently running 93 octane on 93 map. But people are saying 93 octane on 91 map is better all around.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Mostly just plug in the AP to your PC and hit check for update and watch the magik happen :)
Pay attention at the beinging as I think the last firmware the ask me to flash my car back to stock ford tune before updateing then reflash to whatever tune you wanted .. Think it is just a way to be safe when upgrading the AP.. Not big deal just follow the instructions and ask questions if you need too,,, :) we are here to help and COBB is very helpful from what I have seen...

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Sounds good. I haven't even installed the Cobb thing on my computer yet. You can find that on their site right? It's a pretty simple program to download and run?