Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Pressure washing engine bay ?

After the salty winter we had here north of the border, I was looking at my engine bay and there are salt deposits on pretty much everything.

I was thinking lathering the whole engine bay with soap (the kind I use to wash the car), letting it sit a couple minutes and using my pressure washer to clean everything out.

The fuse box is in the car, so it seems that I only have to worry about the intake box ? Even then, the clamshell design seems pretty waterproof to me.

What are your thoughts ?

I would be careful as the ECU is attached to the battery tray. There are some covers but they don't look very water proof, might have cover up with plastic to prevent from getting near the ECU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itll be fine just dont shoot it directly with the pressure washer. We do it at work all the time itll be fine :)

OP
Volumetrik
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, what type of product should I use ?

Degreaser or just any old plain car wash soap ?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Gunk makes a product that's a shiner and degreaser....work's pretty good for a DIY product. I'd use the gel to clean and then the shine.

Here ya go.....

OP
Volumetrik
Thread Starter #8
Picked up a can of Gunk Heady duty gel. I will post back results with before and after pics !

Thanks for all the responses.

If u don't mind paying: Let the dealer do it.....I've done it before....always done well......just make sure you have a good dealer support (hard to come by these days)

The way I do it...

Drive to a car wash
Leave car running
Pop hood and spray engine with a degreaser (engine cleaner, power purple, simple green, etc...) from the top down including the underside of the hood
Close hood and give the car a spray down or wash (this allows the degreaser to steam and work harder)
Lift hood, hit the engine from about 2 feet away with soap from the washer, from the top down
Repeat with the rinse or normal water
Close hood and drive around for a bit to get the excess water off and blown out
After engine is all dry, spray with Time Shine or Gunk engine shine