Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sonic LT 1.4L to the Magnetic ST

Hey all. I've been a die-hard bowtie man since I was 12 learning how to drive a stick in an Iroc. The bailout just crushed me. I bought a used Sonic anyway before I knew the ST existed. I found one and the Ford guys paid off the Sonic gave me $1000 down from the rebate incentives and pretty much paid me to drive my sonic for a year and got me into the little monSTer with no down payment. It's being delivered as I type this up. I can't wait. Never thought I'd be this exited over a Ford lol

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Welcome aboard,

Hey all. I've been a die-hard bowtie man since I was 12 learning how to drive a stick in an Iroc. The bailout just crushed me. I bought a used Sonic anyway before I knew the ST existed. I found one and the Ford guys paid off the Sonic gave me $1000 down from the rebate incentives and pretty much paid me to drive my sonic for a year and got me into the little monSTer with no down payment. It's being delivered as I type this up. I can't wait. Never thought I'd be this exited over a Ford lol
welcome mate i was a chevy tech for about 3 years you are gonna love the st. I was debating about an sonic rs and the st. test drove the st and never looked back.

welcome mate i was a chevy tech for about 3 years you are gonna love the st. I was debating about an sonic rs and the st. test drove the st and never looked back.

Zormecteon

Growing up I was always a Chevy guy, not a Ford one, but in the 1980's I bought my first Ford. The ST is the third in a row. I don't trust GM build quality, and Chrysler has an even worse track record in that reguard. I learned my lesson about the cost of foreign car parts and labor with the VW Rabbit I had when I bought the Ford Tempo. The big change came during the 1980's when the then head of Ford went to Bondurant's driving school and found out how bad his products were from both and ergonomic and dynamics point of view and thereafter send ALL of the top executives to driving school to learn how what they should be able to do. They also at that time decided to build cars and sell them for a fair price rather then trying to build a car to hit a "price point". Those two actions have made all the difference every since.

MPA

Welcome!

I test drove a '13 LT with the 1.4T/6 spd a few years back. Cool liittle car.

How did you like the Sonic overall? Thinking of getting a used one for my wife (prob the 1.8/auto though)

OP
Smitty2016
Thread Starter #15
I love the Sonic. It's a fun little car with the right drivetrain. Decent in the snow with stock tires, avg. about 40mpg mix when I keep my foot out of it. Got +/- 45 on flat hwy. No mods. Sound system sucks. Don't let them swindle you into the "premium" sound system. It's two 20 watt speakers in the rear door that are pointless. Going for the ST for the performance DD and Ford didn't have to get bailed out.

MPA

I love the Sonic. It's a fun little car with the right drivetrain. Decent in the snow with stock tires, avg. about 40mpg mix when I keep my foot out of it. Got +/- 45 on flat hwy. No mods. Sound system sucks. Don't let them swindle you into the "premium" sound system. It's two 20 watt speakers in the rear door that are pointless. Going for the ST for the performance DD and Ford didn't have to get bailed out.
We're going to get a used one if we do, but that's good info on the uprated system.

I think Chevy missed out by not trying to make the Sonic RS more like an ST.

OP
Smitty2016
Thread Starter #17
Agree 100% If they would have put their 2L turbo in it I might have bought it instead.

OP
Smitty2016
Thread Starter #18
I picked it up. Holy crap.... Should have bought this in the 1st place. Never got over 3500rpm (breaking in the motor) and still a huge difference. It's gonna be sooooo hard to keep my foot out of it for 1k miles.

Zormecteon

Go ahead and spin it up to redline during the break in period, ... ..Just be sure that it's fully warmed up (run at least 15 minutes) before you do. If you never rev it all the way during break in, it won't want to after the break in period.

OP
Smitty2016
Thread Starter #20
Makes sense to me. My drive to work and from work is about 1/2hr so that works out perfectly. Lots of curves to take the rpms all over the place then I get on the hwy once it's warm n away I go. Been bouncing between 60mph and 70mph in 5th and 6th.