Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tomei Titanium Cat-back Exhaust for Fiesta ST - Interest

Design Features

• Total voters

DP03

It was an 02 SS but swapped the 5.7 for. 6.0. All N/A. Like you I had trouble getting there. So swapped for a slightly larger motor and was able to squeeze in I was also running a meth injection kit to help.

After that I was satisfied and sold the car and bought a 350z for a track car. Road course. And have been hooked on road course racing ever since. I hate not having a track out here in Hawaii though. :/ so I'm just building the car slowly while I'm here and when I get back I'll see what she can do. And fine tune from there
Same here. Had fun drag racing, but those days are over for me. So much more enjoy road courses. I continued on with high hp cars after the SS, including two SRT8's. But other than my EvoX, and maybe my Neon SRT4, this is my first truly "nimble" car. Wish I could have the best of both worlds. For a reasonable cost, that is.

To attempt to stay on topic, this thread is about exhausts, and there is nothing like the sound of a big displacement motor. I don't care if they made an exhaust for the Fist out of solid gold, it's not going to sound anything like a nice V8. Just can't get there with 1.6L.

I'm currently eyeing up the GT350, but can't afford it just yet. That or a used Z06 will be my next fun car I think.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #102
Well, you can make the FiST pretty fast. And have a little of both worlds. Lol but I agree with you.

I completely agree with you on the big displacement sound. This will never sound like it. But I am pretty excited to hear what it sounds like with the Ti exhaust. IMO most exhausts that are made for the FiST sound very similar. One may be slightly louder, or quieter, but they all have the same ish sound. Except DHMs aluminum exhaust they created. But that would probably be too brittle for my use.

My next vehicle will probably be an ecoboost raptor. I'd have to get rid of my other toys to get another fast car. And I just can't seem to sell the 93 cobra. It's just so rare and beautiful and sentimental value. But anyway back to the exhaust thread. Haha.

I really think the Ti will have a different tone.

Borlas exhaust (at least from what I've heard online) seems to have a unique tone to it compared to many of the others out there

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have a perforated core SS packed 5x18" Vibrant resonator up front and a small oval Borla Race muffler in the rear, SS packed and perf core as well and my car sounds pretty dang good and not to loud. When shopping for a C6 Vette in 09 I drove one with a Borla but it must of been the one with barely any mufflers as it was painfully loud and I have heard others that sounded much quieter but still good.

Most Ti exhausts do sound great but I recall a new M3 that came to an autocross in 2003 with a big name very expensive Ti exhaust and it sounded more like rice than any car I have ever heard. The owner was a cool guy and just put it on the day before, the next day he sold it, it was horrible to say the least. I guess Ti is not the best medium for some engines or perhaps the manf only goes for the absolute most gain, least weight, highest price and forgets what a car should sound like.

Everyone seems to like this brand Ti so I hope it turns out to make everyone happy that gets it, if it does come out, that would be great:)

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #108
Green Fist added! :)
[MENTION=4672]SoyFiesta[/MENTION], Borland is one I have not heard in person. And I cannot seem to find any good videos. But I do believe you as I really like Borla/Magnaflow mufflers. (They are the same) always loved them on my cars. I have magna packs on my cobra and it doesn't sound like a normal 5.0 so I believe you. But would love to hear it in person. The ones I have heard in person all sound the sameish but with a different level of loudness.

I'd love to hear your car Rick! I had thought about making my own exhaust as you know we have talked many times and I would use the same magna packs that are on my cobra if I could. But I really want to wait for this Ti exhaust as I absolutely love their products. And they produce repair parts incase anything ever happens to the exhaust.

I have a perforated core SS packed 5x18" Vibrant resonator up front and a small oval Borla Race muffler in the rear, SS packed and perf core as well and my car sounds pretty dang good and not to loud. When shopping for a C6 Vette in 09 I drove one with a Borla but it must of been the one with barely any mufflers as it was painfully loud and I have heard others that sounded much quieter but still good.

Most Ti exhausts do sound great but I recall a new M3 that came to an autocross in 2003 with a big name very expensive Ti exhaust and it sounded more like rice than any car I have ever heard. The owner was a cool guy and just put it on the day before, the next day he sold it, it was horrible to say the least. I guess Ti is not the best medium for some engines or perhaps the manf only goes for the absolute most gain, least weight, highest price and forgets what a car should sound like.

Everyone seems to like this brand Ti so I hope it turns out to make everyone happy that gets it, if it does come out, that would be great:)
Would love to hear a sound clip. Pretty much decided to have an exhaust fabbed up if I can find someone local that is affordable.

Pete

If this turns out to be a 3" exhaust I would want the flange that bolts to the down pipe to be 2.5" so it can still bolt to the factory cat (california smog and what not when swapping back. Also Russ has told me on his down pipes that are 2.5" at the flange support over 400+ horsepower so there won't be a significant horsepower difference.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If the stock flange is large enough it could bolt to a 3" exhaust just fine, if barely covers not a problem to pass a test, etc...I do not recall now though as have not had a stock DP on the car since 293 miles on it over 2 years ago but somebody might have one they can at least measure up.

If no go one could try a gasket that covered the gap, put it on get checked, etc...that might hold up long enough.

Though an exhaust with a 2.5" inlet might still make 400+ HP it will still have an effect due to necking down from a 3" DP to a 2.5 inlet the way most if not all are done, sudden size change, etc...what that effect could end up being would also depend on other factors and testing could show it but not sure anybody has done that.

I chose to go full 3" with a very good inlet to the DP, angled 02 bungs, ported all the way through, 3" outlet to 3" exhaust inlet and as described likely the freest flowing exhaust done on this car yet, all for good reason, everything done well almost always adds up to increased performance at least some place in the power band and rarely any negatives.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #112
CP-E's exhaust is full 3" and bolts to the stock downpipe. I believe they have elongated bolt holes to accommodate the smaller down pipes. But you are correct 2.5" exhaust will support 400hp, so no worries. I too choose 3" though as better for later turbo upgrades. Etc

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Originally I was going to build a 2.5" exhaust and had all the materials on hand left over from previous projects so I called and talked to several manfs and they suggested that 3" was the way to go though is seemed rather large for a 1.6L engine. Now that I am running the 2560R I am sure it would of met my needs just fine, saved weight and much easier to build with the lack of bends and angle degrees mine has compared to commercial products out there.

Now I am running full Vband, manifold to turbo and WG on both sides, turbo to DP, DP to exhaust and one at the rear for muffler delete on track so I can hear the exhaust better. Vbands weigh less than flanges in most all cases.

Waterfan

Interested, pending design and price. Willing to pay fair value for a no-drone*, not significantly (or even noticeably) louder than stock*, durable and, most importantly, lightest weight option available.

Since I'm not ever going BT, 2.5" catback preferred

Tips? don't care, "go" first, "show later". (plus Ti is dead sexy looking anyway you slice it)

*assuming this means resonated

Waterfan

Another thought (I think this is correct?): FiSTers trying to stay SCCA H Stock Class can replace the catback and ought to be be quite interested in every possible ounce that can be saved.

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #116
Yes the stock turbo guys would definitely benefit from the 2.5" system the most. You are right, you can have a replacement filter, a cat back and I believe a front sway bar. I cant remember if its the front or rear only. but this exhaust being so light would help out the SCCA and NASA guys. trying to stay in their class. I will add you to the list [MENTION=1507]Waterfan[/MENTION].

On more news, I still have not heard from Taka or Tomei yet. I have however gotten in touch with another Ti exhaust maker and they are willing to make us an exhaust, but they need someone to send them an exhaust to "copy" and they can route the exhaust however it needs to be routed and then we can decide on muffled, resonated/muffled, and types of tips or diameter pipe. I do not know what the price on this would be however.

Where are they located? If it's in SoCal I would be happy to leave mine with them.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #118
Sadly it's in the UK. So it would cost us a fortune to get the exhaust shipped to them. You can buy Ti exhaust pieces from their site. and it has crossed my mind many times to just buy them and build my own. but I would prefer waiting to have Tomei finish theirs if they are going to follow through.

Oh wow. Definitely would cost an arm and a leg to get it there. Plus a testicle if they wanted it in one peice. But if their work is serious and the product sounds amazing, maybe it would be worth the couple hundred to send it out. He'll maybe they can make it a turbo back in all Ti if the product is worth it. Would a free exhaust come out of it?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

OP
TempeST

TempeST

Thread Starter #120
Hahaha arm,leg, and testicle. Well for what's it worth idk how many others would want to do this. And I can always email and get more details. But if we can all agree on someone's exhaust, I would happily chip in to get one shipped out to make an exhaust. Hell maybe they can do one in 2.5 and one in 3. And make the options on having resonated or not and dua tips or not. If there's enough Intrest in doing this, I will email and see what we can get together