Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LCA Options?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Energy Suspensions sells the bushings separately, Inner rear vertical is a bit costly but somewhat adjustable and a monoball made from what might be delrin, the rear front is regular urethane with a sleeve in it for the pivot point, just do not tighten to tight or it can bind a bit.

The ball joint could be pressed out with the right tools if one can find a replacement joint to press in or even better cut off the end, weld a new one on for threaded ball joints, you can get race grade joints for low cost, adjustable ones if one wants to lower the car quite a bit.

Of course tubular ones would be very cool, less weight and half of that would be unsprung weight.

If I went that route I would want the best of all options so the cost would likely be a bit high, my last set was for an E36 race car, $1100, ouch!

I will stick with stock ones put on heat shields when I finish up the brake ducts in a day or so:)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I don't need no $1100 controls arms, lol. I'd just like something that keeps control arm deflection in check to calm any wheel hop at the drag strip on street tires....

Cyborg turbo, TBE, panda TR6 intercooler, drop in green filter.
245whp 293Tq V-dyno
13.3@104mph

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Engine and trans mounts, control arm bushings, far more important that the stock ST control arm as it is pretty solid compared to many I have worked on.

I did take a good look at them on my car to see if I needed to add some dimple die reinforcements but decided I did not need to do so.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Unless they are showing a generic picture the rear bushing is not the same, on the ST it is a vertical bushing, not horizontal.

Unless they are showing a generic picture the rear bushing is not the same, on the ST it is a vertical bushing, not horizontal.
Ah, I just checked the WS fiesta lower control arm and it is indeed horizontal. I was convinced coz the Hardrace lower control arm linked earlier were horizontal too :( (edit: nevermind, I'm confusing myself) :*(

Maybe the bushings could be interchangeable, I'll have to look harder into this.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #27
Update: Ordered the Hard Race LCA's.. Ford wants almost double of what Hard Race wants for OEM LCA's so...
They're out of stock and making new batch, I should expect to receive mine sometimes mid-August.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
It would be interesting to know how stiff the bushings are compared to the ST bushings which are likely quite a bit stiffer than the none ST ones.

You could do a simple test when you get them if yours are still good, put a tool on them, see if they feel stiffer moved in different directions, etc.

------------------

NOTE, I saw these on the site, they would be great on any lowered car as will improve geometry and also keep geometry better for those wanting to go lower than possible with the stock ball joints.

It would be great if they press into the stock control arms, which I have mentioned are quite stiff for factory arms, if so or with a little work can be done to make it happen I will have to get a set if I keep the car which I will do depending on where we end up buying property, to rugged for the car it will have to have a new home:(

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It would be interesting to know how stiff the bushings are compared to the ST bushings which are likely quite a bit stiffer than the none ST ones.

You could do a simple test when you get them if yours are still good, put a tool on them, see if they feel stiffer moved in different directions, etc.
Would a tire durometer gauge work for the above?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
That is a great idea if the range goes far enough and I would imagine it does:)

One thing about stiff bushings in stock designs is they stiffen up as they rotate and add load to the suspension but normally in a pretty linear way, why I prefer monoball which is not a good thing on the street.

Second best is monoball in urethane, Teflon seals, etc...then we get to sleeved urethane.

My car has a mix of all of these or close enough to be considered about the same and works very well, so far.

Update: Ordered the Hard Race LCA's.. Ford wants almost double of what Hard Race wants for OEM LCA's so...
They're out of stock and making new batch, I should expect to receive mine sometimes mid-August.
Just wondering if you have received the LCAs yet and how do they compare to stock?

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #32
Just wondering if you have received the LCAs yet and how do they compare to stock?
Two and half months since order... Still haven't received it... Fuckers have my non-refundable deposit too. So I can't do anything but wait.

From: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-ford-fiesta-st-hatchback-photos-and-info-news

"the suspension has been revised. Specifics for the latter are scarce, but include new knuckles that quicken the steering ratio to 13.6:1 from the regular Fiesta?s 14.3:1."

I don't know how this works, but they did change the geometry with the revised suspension.

I would stick with ST specific LCA or look at replacing ball joints/bushings with upgraded materials.

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #35
I went through a reseller locally, and apparently the price he gave me at the time was OK for HR. But exchange rates changed and the price was too low for HR to accept and they are refusing to give him the order. Most likely will be cancelling it.

Over the weekend I changed out my brakes and while down there I noticed that both my lower ball joint boots are melted/ torn open and grease is everywhere. What have people with this problem done? Replace with stock and then wrap the ball joint is some kind of heat shielding?

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #37
Over the weekend I changed out my brakes and while down there I noticed that both my lower ball joint boots are melted/ torn open and grease is everywhere. What have people with this problem done? Replace with stock and then wrap the ball joint is some kind of heat shielding?
That's my plan. Been driving over 15k km on this though, still no noises or clunking. Still waiting for my hard race LCAs...

Has anyone removed/ replaced the lca? How much of a project is it? Do they come off of the subframe pretty easily or do you have to really pry/ tug to get them off?