Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Phreak's 2016 AutoX Season

What's the downside of not having centering rings when running wheels? I was looking at the J10s, so I am curious.

Great thread!

The air pressure you have written down, are they when the tires are still cold? If so, do you check it between runs to make sure they dont over-inflate or just let it be?

Are you planning on attending the Canadian Championship in Montreal this year?

Do you daily drive this car, or only track? Seems like the brake pads are considered a weak point when racing, have they worked well enough for you?

Thanks a lot for the response!

I am a novice in autoX, this will be my second season and last year, I ran the OE tires just to get to know the car and get some experience.

This year I got a set of RE-11's which I will have for my first event this coming sunday. I will probably use your PSI guidelines and see what happens. As for the roll over point of the tire, I couldn't help you there. I am in the same boat, I don't know what is acceptable/recommended if any. I'll try to keep an eye out for that this weekend.

Myself, I registered for the Championship just for some track time, see other drivers maybe ride in other cars. I know I won't be competitive but as long as I have fun I'll be happy.

Here is the link to the Facebook Event. https://www.facebook.com/events/1130589430314743/

GAbOS

I am super interested in this thread! Your attention to detail is bar none so far.

Please try to stay in Stock as long as you can. Just keep logging, even if it's a note about temps-by-hand.

What are the Koni's Model#, Length?

RE-11's were my first Autocross tire... they are a good choice! Very grippy and they last for a long time.

For pressures, they can change dramatically depending on the tire or even things like rim width.

For any new combination, I typically start at 5~10psi higher than stock. Chalk the tires, then go for my first run. You can get a feel for the tires on the run (greasy, too hard, too soft, etc), but the most important thing is to check to see how much chalk rubbed off. If it didn't roll over far enough, bleed off some air... if it rolled over way too far, then add air. It takes a bit of fine tuning, but that is my system.
Thanks for the answer.

I had the tires installed last night and my first event is this sunday.

Unfortunatly the forecast is calling for rain at this time... I hope I can have at least 1 or 2 dry run to get a feel for the tires.

As you said, I'll go 5psi over stock to start with, I got some tire marker and keep an eye on the roll over point.

Good luck with your new shocks!

Quick bump for this thread

So after discussing my tire pressure discrepancies (mainly that my pressures always seem to be higher than what other people run), it has been brought to my attention that my trusty old pressure gauge may not be as accurate as it could be... now this is something I just never worried about before, I always figured it might be out by 1psi or something in a worst case scenario. However, I conducted few tests against another pressure gauge and found that there was a discrepancy of nearly 4psi. Not good... not good at all.

So as part of my upcoming test & tune, I've placed an order for a Joe's Racing pressure gauge. I plan to compare the readings I've been taking with my other gauge to see if there is an issue.
http://www.joesracing.com/series-198267-joes-tire-pressure-gauge.html

I will let you guys know how that turns out
I've read that the "standard" tire pressure gauges (the ones that pop out) are not very accurate after a short time (from dirt, grease, etc), and to switch to a digital pressure gauge. I need to pick up a digital one for myself.

Siestarider

Great thread!

Now I have to run some gopro footage beneath car at next track day, I am on stock suspension and now wonder if I am lifting a rear wheel. Duh. We have the technology, I have used it on track, just did not occur to me. One of the great things about a forum, chances to learn.

Also interesting you run relatively higher air pressures. I am learning the car and tires want higher pressures than I expect. But a 25 min track session on a sunny 90F day will raise temps 10 psi, so I am now starting with 35 F 32 R. Ending up similar to where you are.