Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

INSTALLED - Meister R Coilovers/ Impressions, Pics, Etc.

J2FoRS

Did they do an alignment post install? And [MENTION=4680]MeisterR[/MENTION] in reference to your comment on settings for track vs street. How much does fine tuning the settings post install affect alignment? I know coilovers have come a long way, so not sure of the repercussions alignment wise vs custom tuning your set up at home. Also, at the highest ride height setting, is the car equal to stock height? Lower? Higher?

MeisterR

Vendor
Did they do an alignment post install? And [MENTION=4680]MeisterR[/MENTION] in reference to your comment on settings for track vs street. How much does fine tuning the settings post install affect alignment? I know coilovers have come a long way, so not sure of the repercussions alignment wise vs custom tuning your set up at home. Also, at the highest ride height setting, is the car equal to stock height? Lower? Higher?
Normally unless the steering is way off, I say give about 1 week so the suspension and everything else will settle in before you do the alignment.
Alignment are base on static position, so ride height plays a role, but damping adjustment do not.

So for example, you install the coilovers and your alignment will be out.
You done an alignment, then lower the ride height; the alignment will be out.
You done an alignment again, go on a track day and adjust the damping stiffer, it would not change the alignment at all.

I would say the highest ride height will be close to stock, not more than -20mm at most.

Jerrick

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #24
I took the car out this morning on one of two of my preferred driving/testing routes, which equated to a 55 mile round trip for this particular run. The car now exceeds public road limits, and the only way that I can gauge the limits (as a responsible adult who values other people's safety) is to take the car to the track.

As stated in previous post I have additional suspension/chassis bracing on the car beyond these MeisterR coilovers, and I originally started my personal pathway of chassis tuning via upgraded bracing because I found the car to have too much low speed understeer from the factory. I came out of a 2010 Mazda mx5 sport that I had been tweaking for 5 years, and I knew that chassis tuning could correct what I didn't like about the FiST. Chiefly I have been working toward smooth and stable corner entry/exit, very limited understeer, and no bad manners from the rear while at speed mid corner.

I have owned the FiST new since April of last year, and I have about 4900 miles on it as of my most recent drive today. I have been continually perfecting the handling based off of the public road (s) that I took the car out on today. With the addition of these MeisterR CRD+ coilovers, here are my impressions.

1. The car has much better and more stable turn in response, and the speeds that I used to carry in to turns are now not enough for the new handling limits. The car turns in smoothly and accurately, sets itself in to the corner predictably with control, and then as I increase speed through the apex it tucks in to the apex and makes it very apparent that I wasn't carrying enough speed for the new found limits.

2. Composed is a good way to describe the turn in, and the whole car feel solid and unified. Everything feels tight and cohesive, so it works as a well put together machine should.

3. I might be describing this incorrectly, but prior to these coilovers and on the long left and right hand 70-75 mph tight sweepers, I used to could feel that the rear would want to start "walking out" if I carried too much more speed in to that corner. Today I carried 80 mph in to the same corners and never felt that sensation from the rear. Again, this tells me that the limits are now much higher.

4. High speed stability is stronger too, and I didn't exceed 120 but at higher speeds the car is planted and composed.

5. I can hear the rear suspension a little more now than I could with the factory setup, but it's not intrusive or a sign of anything wrong. I just noticed it from time to time today and had never noticed it before. It's very minor, but I'm paying attention to these things since its new.

One of the things that I told Jerrick when he wanted my feedback after the 1st test drive from install, was that the FiST was such a good handling car and that with the chassis bracing that I had on it, it was going to be difficult for me to gauge what was better. After all, how do you improve on something that is already so much fun? Well, today I found this out for myself and I am very pleased that I purchased these coilovers.

FYI - I paid full price for these coilovers, and this review is because I want to give one, and I want for the community to have good info. I hope this helps thumbsup

Ryan

Thanks for the detail review Ryan.

I too chose chassis bracing to optimize the handling characteristics that Ford has tuned into the chassis. Your comment 3 was spot-on!

Jerrick, PM'd for order details.

KKaWing

Different car, and different "spec" Zeta-R in this case... but dayum, there is a reason why Nurburgring "proven" is such a powerful marketing tagline. Just coils, r-comps, and dtc-60 pads will lead to blowing doors off other cars.

[video=youtube;RnBGhaBGwLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnBGhaBGwLk[/video]

MeisterR

Vendor
Different car, and different "spec" Zeta-R in this case... but dayum, there is a reason why Nurburgring "proven" is such a powerful marketing tagline. Just coils, r-comps, and dtc-60 pads will lead to blowing doors off other cars.
The Zeta-R was the older generation that had been supersede by the ZetaCRD+ we are currently offering.
The ZetaCRD+ are pretty much better in every way. [biggrin]

If you look at The RingBanana, we done a few things with them.

Standard car base lap: 9.21
Standard car with nothing changed but MeisterR coilovers and new alignment: 8:54 (27 seconds difference)

Standard car base lap with R-compound tyres: 8:59
Standard car base lap with R-compound tyres, MeisterR coilovers, and new new alignment: 8:39 (20 seconds difference)

This is not scientific, but it does show the impact good suspension and alignment can provide.
And this was tested twice, using low grip and high grip tyres.

But those guys i can say for sure have balls of steel, because if i was driving like that, they will be cleaning me off the floor with a mop. [8]

Jerrick

haste

1000 Post Club
Supposedly, this is a stock Fiesta ST doing 8m 15 sec lap ...

[video=youtube;uwPmkzZOhDI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwPmkzZOhDI[/video]

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #29
Thanks for the detail review Ryan.

I too chose chassis bracing to optimize the handling characteristics that Ford has tuned into the chassis. Your comment 3 was spot-on!

Jerrick, PM'd for order details.
Glad it hit home for you, and please give your thoughts once you get yours installed

MeisterR

Vendor
Supposedly, this is a stock Fiesta ST doing 8m 15 sec lap ...
Yep, Gab can drive for sure.

I actually ask him if we can do anything with the Ford Fiesta ST.
But as the car is owned by RSR Nurburg (which is a ring rental company), he really can't as it isn't his car.

Talking to him he said there are gain to be have from better suspension.

What he said was:
I definitely think the car would benefit from a set of track oriented suspension! The car moves about a lot.
It is certainly designed from the engineering side to be like that, playful and interesting even at lower speed with considerable pitch and roll so it is also safe.
For the track, it is certainly underdamped and soft
But the Fiesta ST is a very capable car without a doubt.

Jerrick

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #31
I want to go "all in", and I am taking my car to a place in Houston called "EVS Motors" where they will perform corner balancing and alignment. I am also going to have them adjust the ride height to their suggested spec for the balancing, and I will take before and after photos for the ride height.

I want to go "all in", and I am taking my car to a place in Houston called "EVS Motors" where they will perform corner balancing and alignment. I am also going to have them adjust the ride height to their suggested spec for the balancing, and I will take before and after photos for the ride height.
Using the vehicle scale at the local recycling center (and creative vehicle placements on the scale), I worked out the corner weights (with a 166 lb driver [^] ).

LF 906, RF 834, LR 614, RR 566.

I was surprised that the factory suspension diagonal weights are 0.4% from each other! (Replace the 23+ lb. battery with a 5 lb. Shorai LFX litho-iron battery and it'll be perfect...)

Awaiting shipment, delivery and weekend(?) install of MeisterR coilovers to check the weights again.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #33
Good to know, and a lightweight battery will definitely be in the build up once the OE one goes out :)

I am also going to have them adjust the ride height to their suggested spec for the balancing, and I will take before and after photos for the ride height.
Try to make sure the side of the car is in the sun, not in shadow, when you take the pics. In the same place and posted with your original side shot, would be nice.

Looking forward to seeing them.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #35
Try to make sure the side of the car is in the sun, not in shadow, when you take the pics. In the same place and posted with your original side shot, would be nice.

Looking forward to seeing them.
I am at the performance shop (EVS Motors in Alief, TX) now, and I asked for them to adjust the car based on the corner balancing results and to use their judgement for the ride height that will yield the best handling. IF, they adjust the ride height I will post some photos of how the car sits and without the shadow effect.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #37
Funny enough, for the best corner balance and handling the technician said that he raised the front "slightly". No reduction in ride height, but I was super impressed with my vehicle weight including a nearly full tank of fuel. 2563 lbs!

Now I'm just going to enjoy the coilovers and see how the new found handling improvement grows on me thumbsup

Attachments

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Funny enough, for the best corner balance and handling the technician said that he raised the front "slightly". No reduction in ride height, but I was super impressed with my vehicle weight including a nearly full tank of fuel. 2563 lbs!

Now I'm just going to enjoy the coilovers and see how the new found handling improvement grows on me thumbsup
What weight reduction have you done?

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #39
What weight reduction have you done?
Lighter weight parts here, no rear seat, rear brackets, or spare tire there. Nothing special really, and I am quite surprised at the final tally. I was speculating at around 2600lbs before the coilovers, and the coilovers are noticeably lighter than the stock suspension.

Similar to how noticeably heavy the factory wheels are when compared to a lot of the aftermarket 17" options. My car is a "base" model 2015 FiST, with no sunroof or any above and beyond frills.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Lighter weight parts here, no rear seat, rear brackets, or spare tire there. Nothing special really, and I am quite surprised at the final tally. I was speculating at around 2600lbs before the coilovers, and the coilovers are noticeably lighter than the stock suspension. Similar to ho heavy the factory wheels are to a lot of the aftermarket 17" options. My car is a "base" model 2015 FiST, with no sunroof or any above and beyond frills.
Ah... I should really have my car weighed. Maybe I'll go all in on some corner balancing after I drop down to 15" wheels. Currently on TD 17"s which are lighter than stock, lighter tires than stock, no spare stuff, so I guesstimate 2650. I'd def like to come in under 2600 (without me in it). Glad to hear these coilovers are lighter, I've been toying with the idea of picking up DHMs lightweight rear bumper beam. I want to keep my rear seats in on pure preference. Personally, im only looking for a .5" drop.