Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal 595 SS tires 215/40/17

MPA

I have some federal 595 rsr tires as well. Great bang for the buck tires
Same here - 2,300 on mine so far, and really happy with the grip. In the rain I slow it way down though, and stay out of the left lane on the highway where the standing water mainly collects.

Heading to the Smokey mountains in a few weeks, and looking forward to it :)

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Same here - 2,300 on mine so far, and really happy with the grip. In the rain I slow it way down though, and stay out of the left lane on the highway where the standing water mainly collects.

Heading to the Smokey mountains in a few weeks, and looking forward to it :)
Same here.. Won't drive like a dummy with these tires in the rain

Zissou

Strictly compared to the OEM Bridgestone RE050a tires, how do they compare in these categories? You don't have to be too scientific, i.e. I'd be happy with "about the same" or "less grippy". Feel free to add any other attributes!
And are these the all season Federal 595 SS or summer Federal RSR? I see the price of the RSR is much cheaper than the RE050a, so I'd expect a compromise somewhere. Is the 215 width of these Federals the same true width as the OEM 205 RE050a? I know it's a different number stamped in the sidewall, but manufacturing tolerances vary so 205 in one tire might be just as wide as 215 from a different brand. Rick taught me that.

Entirely subjective scorecard:
Grip - lateral:
Grip - forward:
Grip - wet:
Road Noise:
Lifespan:
Looks:

Thanks! This will help those of us shopping for tires in the near future!

MPA

I'm running the 205/45/16 595RS-Rs

Grip - lateral: more than stock

Grip - forward: more than stock

Grip - wet: Hard to say since I don't really push the car in the rain. On simply wet ground and driving like a normal person, I'd say the same, but I try to avoid standing water for sure because they can hydroplane pretty easy

Road Noise: With windows up, I notice no difference. with windows down, wind noise > tire noise. Regardless, I've never had an issue with tire noise on any car I've had

Lifespan: no idea - I only have 2,300 on the RSRs, and had 5,200 on the RE050As. I have winter snows I'll put on when it gets cold, so if I can get 12,000-15,000 out of them I'll be happy

Looks: Better IMO, the RE050As to me don't have an aggressive looking tread pattern

Zissou

I'm running the 205/45/16 595RS-Rs

Grip - lateral: more than stock

Grip - forward: more than stock

Grip - wet: Hard to say since I don't really push the car in the rain. On simply wet ground and driving like a normal person, I'd say the same, but I try to avoid standing water for sure because they can hydroplane pretty easy

Road Noise: With windows up, I notice no difference. with windows down, wind noise > tire noise. Regardless, I've never had an issue with tire noise on any car I've had

Lifespan: no idea - I only have 2,300 on the RSRs, and had 5,200 on the RE050As. I have winter snows I'll put on when it gets cold, so if I can get 12,000-15,000 out of them I'll be happy

Looks: Better IMO, the RE050As to me don't have an aggressive looking tread pattern
100% what I was looking for - thank you!

I'll def have to check these out when it's time to replace the original tires. I'm at 13k on my 2014, though I have a set of touring all seasons for the mild VA winters that have about 5-6k of those miles. I'm hoping to get about 10-15k out of the OEMs based on current tread depth. Though that depth seems to be accelerating it's wear with more mods... that exhaust is going to be trouble for my tire life once my car is making a ruckus. [burnout]

MPA

Here's a tread comparison picture - forgot I shot some comparison pics when they arrived

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Just ordered some Federal SS595s in 215/40/17 to replace my 33k mile Potenzas.

I'll post some comparo pics as well. Gonna mount them on 17x7.5 wheels too. I hear they run wide, so i want to see how big they end up being compared to the stock 205/40s.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Their 595 Evos run the widest actual tread width in that size of all of the various Federals, and with the exception of the 200 tread wear Yoko AD08R (which is but 0.2" wider), is one of the widest tread widths in a 215/40-17, PERIOD (the Dunlop Star Spec 2 is also 8.0" in tread width).

I bought the slightly (by 0.3") narrower tread width, and 40 less tread wear rated, RS-RRs because some on here were complaining that the Evos had kind of a "squirmy", or "mushy" turn-in response for some reason.
(My RS-RRs are mounted on 17x8 TD Pro race 1.2s.)

Last edited:

MPA

I ended up getting 15,367 miles out of those RS-Rs. They were still a little above the wear bars when I swapped them out.

I replaced them with another set, but was going to try the new Firestone Indy 500s. Tire Rack had a 30-60 day backorder, and I needed the tires sooner due to my car needing an inspection.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I ended up getting 15,367 miles out of those RS-Rs. They were still a little above the wear bars when I swapped them out.
Not too shabby for a tire which is still rated on their site (maybe they did not get around to changing it yet?) @ 140 tread wear! [thumb]

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im trying to post pics of the 215/40s on my car, but the hosting sites are a pain in the ass.

DaveG99

[MENTION=4248]RubenZZZ[/MENTION] Lets see them!

Anyone care to compare the RS-R vs the RS-RR? Also how does the SS compare to the previously mentioned 2? Im guessing the SS has less grip?m Looks like some federals may be my next tire.