Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
For anyone that did have to deal with smog, inspections, etc......or gets busted or wants to make sure not.....

I took a good look at the stock DP, cutting out and replacing a few areas and trimming one part of the heat shield could results in greatly reduced restriction and still function and look stock.

This would work well with a modded stock turbo and ported manifold, very stealthy solution when all are combined.

I like the idea so much I might just mod mine later when I finish the last of the bigger car projects, truck and trailer, which are all nearly done now and the house which is almost ready to sell.

I would just do it to test but if close to the same results as my DIY DP with 5" 100 cell cat I might just run it.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have not heard back from Hardbar, I need to send a new message, please remind me, getting ready for two track days so no time right now if he does respond.

Rick

I have some logs posted under self tuning section, short version is my trial and errors data say get a good IC first if you are in a hot humid climate. Then downpipe. I currently run Cobb IC, 2J DP, Mountune Intake and Cobb S3 tune 93 gas with OEM exhaust. Plenty of juice for right now. My data show this setup does not benefit at all from the 3" cat back I had on, so I removed it, much stealthier now.

Doing your own DP install is difficult even with all the good guide info on this forum, but once you do it, future work is a lot easier, lots of little tricks learned by doing it help. Being rid of OEM cat heat shield helps too. Be sure to keep OEM exhaust manifold heat shield, I tried leaving it off and heat hurt performance, so back on it went...
Nice set up! This is almost exactly my plan minus the intake. Would love to hear the sound of it if you ever get down to Miami!
Did you see any gains with the intake?

Siestarider

Santa brought me intake & short shift last year, so intake was on b4 AP came out. I plugged the symposer after rear seat delete, and went to lighter 16" wheels and BFG Sport Comps to min cabin noise and increase compliance. Now the combination of intake, DP & OEM exhaust provides just the visceral audition necessary to know where revs are without looking. But being deaf above 4k Hz, I am not a good sounding board. Love this car.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Looking at getting a downpipe in the spring and wondering if there's any big difference between 2jr and Cobb's? Other than price.

I'd be getting the catted 2jr pipe.

Siestarider

2J DP does not have a mount bracket, some others do. Guess we will not know if bracket is necessary until someone breaks, but I would prefer a bracket.

Difference in sound between OEM and MBRP exhausts with 2J DP is huge. Too big for me, took 3' off and OEM much quieter. Performance unchanged.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
2J DP does not have a mount bracket, some others do. Guess we will not know if bracket is necessary until someone breaks, but I would prefer a bracket.

Difference in sound between OEM and MBRP exhausts with 2J DP is huge. Too big for me, took 3' off and OEM much quieter. Performance unchanged.
You say you prefer a bracket but I'm assuming you have a 2JR DP, hence your comment?

And does Cobb's have the bracket? I was thinking of getting the DP first, seeing how it sounds and performs and then go from there to decide if I wanted the catback or not.

Siestarider

My 2J DP does not have a mounting bracket like the OEM DP, I do not know about the others, but I know at least one alternative does have a bracket, cannot remember which.

Reading some of this makes me concerned about adding a down pipe to my car since I have the mbrp exhaust on it.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Lol, do it!!! Your neighbors will be okay...they will get used to it. In all seriousness though, this Fist with the Borla and race downpipe is no where near as loud as my 2011 GT was with the offroad Xpipe and Steeda catback. I know the mbrp is louder than the Borla, but I don't see it as being that much louder. I still need to hear your in person.

Lol, do it!!! Your neighbors will be okay...they will get used to it. In all seriousness though, this Fist with the Borla and race downpipe is no where near as loud as my 2011 GT was with the offroad Xpipe and Steeda catback. I know the mbrp is louder than the Borla, but I don't see it as being that much louder. I still need to hear your in person.
Downpipe is something I'll work on next year, last mod for this year is to mount my focus St intercooler to the car.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
RAAMaudo got his idea from me. :)
I will start building mine next month.

Dave