Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Hawk Pads

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
For those running the Hawk 5.0 pads, did you use P/N HB725B.650 front pads? The internet lists two different 5.0 pads for the ST and most say the ST pads fit the regular Fiesta, which isn't correct.

I've used the Hawk HPS in the past on my Gti and Focus ST, I found them to be a great street pad. I picked up the Mountune RS-R pads for the front and rear, I have yet to install them but I'm pretty sure they are the same as the Hawk HPS/5.0 so I expect nothing but good things. I do like the OE pads initial bite but not the immense amount of dust.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I will be doing a complete review on the Hawk 5.0 pads shortly. So far, in the few days of driving with them, I give them two solid thumbs up and 5 stars. Still measuring the dust output, so that is why the review is not done yet. I don't know how the Mountune pads compare to the 5.0 pads, but if they use the same compound, they will be winners. I had Hawk HPS on my SVT Focus and loved them. My Mustang has Hawk HP+ pads and they not for normal driving use, but they are outstanding for autocrossing and light track use.

I've had the HPS5.0 for over a month now, front only, on slotted rotors. So far so good. I installed them myself and I was afraid I did something wrong at first because I had no breaking power (expecting a neck snapping brake at 20-0, but it was way too smooth), but it placed itself after a while. Not sure if it's the pad breaking in or the rotors or the brake fluid pressure adjusting itself, but now it brakes well.

So far, there is certainly much less brake dust for me. They brake really well and makes absolutely no noise (not that I expected any).

Since they were cheaper than the OEM pads, I recommend going with those. I don't know how they would fare on a track, but short of big brakes, these are probably the best.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
did you bed the pads and bleed the fluid? I did both and had a solid pedal and great brake feel after the bed process and allowing it to cool.

I just got white wheels, and week later ordered new pads. I went with Powerstop Evolution Z23. I will let everyone know how they work out.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Those were second on my list to get. I created a matrix of all the pads available, their price, performance, dust, noise, and compound. Each category was ranked and the data spit out the Hawk 5.0 as number and Z23 pads as second. Their price and low dust were ranked very high, but low on performance. I wasn't totally sold on a ceramic pad working when cold.

Here is a tip for white wheels, coat them with 3 or 4 layers of Carbon Collective wheel sealant. The stuff cut my cleaning time by over half. If the wheels stay dry, most of the dust just comes off with a hose. Many times I can just spray the wheels and wipe them off and they are clean. I haven't had enough miles on the Hawk pads to know how they dust.

Here is a tip for white wheels, coat them with 3 or 4 layers of Carbon Collective wheel sealant. The stuff cut my cleaning time by over half. If the wheels stay dry, most of the dust just comes off with a hose. Many times I can just spray the wheels and wipe them off and they are clean. I haven't had enough miles on the Hawk pads to know how they dust.
Thanks for the tip...can it be store-bought or online only?

I suspect the reason Ford gave the cars the gray wheel/ aggressive dusty brake pad with summer tire option was to mask the brake dust that would have been excessive on silver wheels[wink].

I love the 5.0 pads on my FRS and the brake dust is minimal.

A win win...

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Hated the 5.0 pads up front on my fiesta. Have a set of 99% new fronts if anyone wants a set for $40 shipped

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the tip...can it be store-bought or online only?
I ordered it online direct from Carbon Collective. I polished the wheels first, since they were in rough shape from the previous year, and then wiped them down with a wax/grease remover prior to applying the sealant. For newer wheels (mine are now 18 years old), I would just clean them, wipe down with a wax/grease remover or denatured alcohol, and then apply.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I suspect the reason Ford gave the cars the gray wheel/ aggressive dusty brake pad with summer tire option was to mask the brake dust that would have been excessive on silver wheels[wink].

I love the 5.0 pads on my FRS and the brake dust is minimal.

A win win...
Yep, and why the silver went away and black and grey became the wheel colors. The dust complaints were so bad, they just changed the wheel color to mask it. Same with the Focus ST.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Hated the 5.0 pads up front on my fiesta. Have a set of 99% new fronts if anyone wants a set for $40 shipped
Reason why you did not like them? I am going on just shy of one week with them and I find them to be great. That isn't enough time to really make a solid judgment on the pads.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Reason why you did not like them? I am going on just shy of one week with them and I find them to be great. That isn't enough time to really make a solid judgment on the pads.

I feel like they didn't work great unless you really were hard on the brakes. For just around town they were good.Stock pads just feel better to me.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Did you bed in the pads and clean the rotors or install new ones? I am finding the Hawk 5.0 pads to have a little less initial bite, which makes them smoother at low speed, and the same or possibly even better braking coming off the highway. I have had to retime my downshifts to account for the uptick in performance from highway speed. Around town the pads stop as good as stock with far less noise. Pedal pressure is strong. Now, my Hawk HP+ pads on my Mustang need heat to really work. They aren't that great when cold. The Hawk 5.0 pads are seeming to work great when cold. I haven't tried really cold ambient temps or track use.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
New rotors and they were bed in. I just couldn't stand the loss of initial bite and more effort needed pedal wise. I was looking for
More aggressive pad then stock so maybe that's why I felt little let down. I think they prob good option for
Most people.

kevinatfms

I'm with Plainrt. Mine have been a nightmare. Horrible pedal feel and terrible initial bite. Stock pads were much more aggressive at low speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
interesting, my 5.0 pads are outstanding with only a minor reduction in initial bite and easy to modulate pedal pressure for braking.