Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

No fog lights with high beams???

I noticed last night that when I put on my high beams, the fog lights automatically turn off.

Sup wit dat?

If I'm ripping it on unlit country roads, I want all the light possible! Even if the fog lights wouldn't make a large difference with the high beams on, it bothers me that I am not in control of that function.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It makes total sense. You would NEVER use high beams in foggy conditions as it would just reflect the light back to you. So, they took the liberty of programming it so it kills the fogs if you find conditions allow for high beams. Fogs won't give you any real light anyway. They are set to reach maybe 6 ft in front of the car or something like that. They're mostly for show, imo. i use them only in the rain to be more visible.

It makes total sense. You would NEVER use high beams in foggy conditions as it would just reflect the light back to you. So, they took the liberty of programming it so it kills the fogs if you find conditions allow for high beams. Fogs won't give you any real light anyway. They are set to reach maybe 6 ft in front of the car or something like that. They're mostly for show, imo. i use them only in the rain to be more visible.
My LED fog lights give me plenty of light and reach out very far with a nice tight cutoff. It's generally just a matter of jumping a relay and nothing to involved. I just haven't seen the need to do it yet, living in the city I've yet to need that much light.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Already having lights that are too bright and/or mis-aimed I see a lot of people running fogs. (if somebody manages to blind you sitting high-up on a motorcycle, and they're not in a truck, you know there's something wrong) Having heard how hard they can be to replace, and expensive to buy on other vehicles, haven't bothered running them except to test that they work. Basically the only difference I see, is that they light up more of the road directly beneath and to the left/right of the bumper. The normal beams do everything else.

LILIKE16ST

Every vehicle I've ever owned with factory fogs had this exact function you speak of. Its not uncommon at all but you can do some wiring gagitry and make them be able to remain on with highs but I don't see the point. I think the fogs are mostly for looks...I have silver star axe heads a d fogs.which are brighter than stock and I still feel fogs are mostly for looks....I plan on either an led setup later on or HID. I'd like to have the diode dynamics led fog light kit and a set of euro hid projector headlights and HID bulbs....6000k on everything I think that would be a sweet setup....anyways with the fogs being mostly for looks and high beams only being on in remote areas out away from everyone (hopefully) then I don't see the need to have them in with the highs....there's something somewhere on this forum that will explain how to do the wiring to keep the fogs on with highs though if you so choose.

V_2

The fog lights turning off when your high beams are active allows your eyes to focus better further down the road, which is presumably why you have the high beams on.

I did this mod on my Sentra a few years ago and it was pretty simple once you knew what relay to jump the wire to. I want to say when I did mine it was using voltage from the headlights to complete the connection utilizing the existing controls.

On my 2000 zx3, it just took jumping the 2 parallel connections on the fog light relay to have full control of the fog lights. Doesn't work on the FiST. Fog lights remain on even with car off!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe it is part of the DOT/NHTSA laws that requires manufacturers to wire their cars this way from the factory.

Even if the auxiliary lights are DRIVING lights/lenses and not fogs, this is the case, I believe.

When I used to go through N.J. state inspection in my GTI with Hella 500 driving lights mounted under the bumper, they used to check to make sure that they shut off when the high beams were activated.

Sam4

Actually its a federal DOT law - no accessory (fogs, or whatever you call ours) lights with high beams. Also no accessory lights as primary lighting.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread revival.. Has anyone figured this out yet? Where is the fog light relay? I'd rather not wire another switch if it's unnecessary.

Edit: A solution can be found here

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I'd monitor both voltage readings and voltage drop on the positive and more importantly, negative side of the circuit with all these accessories running. Problems may not exist now, but problems can manifest as voltage drop gradually increases in the years ahead.