Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

x37-47 / 2554-60 / C39 / ST280 - Small Turbo Comparison Thread

ya knooooowwwww, I was reading about the FoST kit on their site just yesterday to get some idea of what our kit would be like. And yea, it's a BT kit but I was hopeful. Thanks for crushing my dreams lol Their kit woulda been soft anyway ;) !
To me the MRX FoST kit is the way to go for BT. The 6258 EFR fits very well with the 2.0 and creates a powerband like a Hybrid does for the FiST. The FoST has some big bottlenecks as well, the head being one as is the fuel system. They pushed that kit pretty decent but it still has some left in it for a bolt on. Also there is a good comparison thread vs the Full Race 6258 kit and Mountune defiantly puts together an all you need high quality kit at a decent price.

I wouldn't say crushing your dreams but think farther. If the C39 doesn't deliver this may be a back up. The MRX BT kit should be that happy medium between a Hybrid and laggy BT. I could be wrong but they hit that market with the FoST and going off what they said it seems they may see an opportunity to reach the 330whp crowed on pump and decent spool. I honestly think the Hybrid MRX kit won't be enough considering the other options out right now.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
With Adam no longer messing them, and Pumaspeed seemingly MIA...

I don't see an issue letting everyone know that I can build them a X37 with big inlet for $1275 and $250 core.

I would recommend a Tune+ wastegate if Adam still sell them, and spark plugs ( for all hybrids ). I can still sell someone an EFR 19psi wastegate, but the turbosmart/Tune+ is nicer looking, and worth the little extra cost imo.

I'll be happy to delete this if anyone is bothered by it. But seems like the alternatives are not really options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Adam no longer messing them, and Pumaspeed seemingly MIA...

I don't see an issue letting everyone know that I can build them a X37 with big inlet for $1275 and $250 core.

I would recommend a Tune+ wastegate if Adam still sell them, and spark plugs ( for all hybrids ). I can still sell someone an EFR 19psi wastegate, but the turbosmart/Tune+ is nicer looking, and worth the little extra cost imo.

I'll be happy to delete this if anyone is bothered by it. But seems like the alternatives are not really options.

Seems like a good option now considering you provide awesome customer service. I love my X37 but Pumaspeed was indeed terrible to deal with.

I never even disassembled mine to see what the differences are, but doesn't the X-37 have a CNC machined compressor housing? And if so would this be done on the SS-37? (SourSkittle X-37 - boom, there's your name for it)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
CNc is just an automated machining process. It's programmed from a human, giving human inputs. If the human has any errors, it's will be repeated every time. The only real benefit to CNC machining is it saves the machinist time.

And to make my point... My current volvo comp housing was CNC machined. I bought the compressor housing, compressor wheel and turbine wheel as a set (at a price that truly was unbeatable ). When it was checked at my machinist, they said it was not machined perfectly with the same tolerance the cyborgs are built to. The company ( don't even ask guys ) that did the machining pumps these housings out using a CNC lath.
#1 the housing seems to be working fine. No issues so far.
#2 we assemble the bearing housings and then machine THAT TURBOCHARGER COMPRESSOR COVER to THAT COMPRESSOR WHEEL in THAT BEARING HOUSING.

If you disassembled a X37, it would be machined. No way to tell if it was guided by a computer/PLC type brain or a human.

So ours are def not CNC machined. And the X37 may or may not be CNC machined. But the truth is... Prob doesn't matter.

The pumaspeed bearing housing IS an aftermarket bearing housing, NOT an OEM ford/Borg Warner housing. But that also doesn't seem to matter as the X37 doesn't seem to have any bearing issues.

All that being said... I don't think it's going to matter. The larger compressor wheel we put in, I feel, really is going to take these type turbos to the next level. X37 or Cybrog39 are both the same price to build for us :) but I'd rather see people get the turbo that can go further or at least make more power on normal fuel.

If any of you X37 guys want the larger compressor wheel, we can do that as well, it's not very expensive.

JasonHaven

Bummer that no more are coming through Adam.. hopefully Pumaspeed continues to offer it by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger. If not, hopefully SS is still around offering the Cyborg, since Mountune apparently isn't bringing their hybrid to the States.

(no offense on being 'third' SS, its just the whole established company vs one person thing, I've heard nothing but great things about you)

CNc is just an automated machining process. It's programmed from a human, giving human inputs. If the human has any errors, it's will be repeated every time. The only real benefit to CNC machining is it saves the machinist time.

And to make my point... My current volvo comp housing was CNC machined. I bought the compressor housing, compressor wheel and turbine wheel as a set (at a price that truly was unbeatable ). When it was checked at my machinist, they said it was not machined perfectly with the same tolerance the cyborgs are built to. The company ( don't even ask guys ) that did the machining pumps these housings out using a CNC lath.
#1 the housing seems to be working fine. No issues so far.
#2 we assemble the bearing housings and then machine THAT TURBOCHARGER COMPRESSOR COVER to THAT COMPRESSOR WHEEL in THAT BEARING HOUSING.

If you disassembled a X37, it would be machined. No way to tell if it was guided by a computer/PLC type brain or a human.

So ours are def not CNC machined. And the X37 may or may not be CNC machined. But the truth is... Prob doesn't matter.

The pumaspeed bearing housing IS an aftermarket bearing housing, NOT an OEM ford/Borg Warner housing. But that also doesn't seem to matter as the X37 doesn't seem to have any bearing issues.

All that being said... I don't think it's going to matter. The larger compressor wheel we put in, I feel, really is going to take these type turbos to the next level. X37 or Cybrog39 are both the same price to build for us :) but I'd rather see people get the turbo that can go further or at least make more power on normal fuel.

If any of you X37 guys want the larger compressor wheel, we can do that as well, it's not very expensive.

Thanks for the explanation. Curious to see how your new Cyborg39 performs!

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Bummer that no more are coming through Adam.. hopefully Pumaspeed continues to offer it by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger. If not, hopefully SS is still around offering the Cyborg, since Mountune apparently isn't bringing their hybrid to the States.

(no offense on being 'third' SS, its just the whole established company vs one person thing, I've heard nothing but great things about you)
I find it highly amusing that you're still considering getting the Pumaspeed X-37 through Pumaspeed, even after Adam stated that dealing with them and their horrible customer service is he reason he's not selling them anymore. Not only that but other forum members that have dealt with them also stated that they get no replies to their inquiries. If you want one of these turbos, do yourself a favor and get it from Sour Skittle. His service is top notch and it's built here in the USA. No ridiculous lead times, no sending email after email that goes unanswered. PM him and you'll get a response in an hour or so. Had my Cyborg done with all the options including ported exhaust manifold. Everything was done in 9 days. He's been selling his Cyborgs for over 2 years on this forum. Haven't met one unhappy customer yet. I'm not getting anything from endorsing him, or his product, but when I'm sold a great product with great service, I'm going to tell people about it. Same goes for my new tuner, Ken @ OZ Tuning. Awesome guy and awesome tuning skills. Both highly recommended.

Rhinopolis

After Brian releases his C39 and hard data is available showing the gains, I might consider asking what upgrades he can offer on my X37. I really don't want to mess with methanol injection or an auxiliary fuel system, and if Brian can modify the X37 to provide enough of an increased performance while utilizing E30 above my current performance level, then I will be interested. As everyone has said, 300/300 to the wheels sure makes for a nice rounded number.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I'm patiently waiting for cyborg39 results as well. Not that I'm getting the turbo, but I'm interested to see how much ass it kicks

some thoughts on the aftermarket bearing end of things> I haven driven my car to Colorado and back. non stop on the way back. that's nearly 20 hours driving at a geezer speed. although I don't beat on it every night I have raced the car several events and occasions. if mine was gonna give me grief it would have by now. bigger intercooler on days warmer than 70 is my only concern/complaint. I suspect any turbo upgrade is gonna find mountunes aftermarket unit a problem. bobn

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Personally, I'm looking for a solid well built hybrid turbo solution that can demonstrate a relatively quick spool response [0~20psi < 1.5 sec @ 2800~3000rpm max] and also maintain ~24psi boost out to 6500rpm ...

So far the only hybrid I've seen with hard data posted from other members that comes fairly close to these metrics above is the x-37 hybrid...And aside from some complaints of poor customer response from PumaSpeed there are also others that have no complaints and once their x-37 hybrids have been installed most do seem to be quite pleased with the overall performance results...

I do look forward to seeing more hard data posted from other hybrid turbo members such that we could compare results to determine what best suits our own performance metrics and goals...

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Well Bryan ordered my upgraded turbine last week. Once it's in, I'll drop off my car to him so he can upgrade my turbo including the GFB DV+. Car was already leaking boost past 27psi. ONce i'm done tuning Ill take it to the dyno since it's 10 minutes from my job. We'll see what numbers it puts up. Bryan says its 300whp capable. I'm thinking I'll see around 270ish WHP on E-30. Be great if It put up more with my current mods. Just trying to be realistic. Whatever it puts up, I'll post my results so people have an idea and we have a baseline to compare others to.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
some thoughts on the aftermarket bearing end of things> I haven driven my car to Colorado and back. non stop on the way back. that's nearly 20 hours driving at a geezer speed. although I don't beat on it every night I have raced the car several events and occasions. if mine was gonna give me grief it would have by now. bigger intercooler on days warmer than 70 is my only concern/complaint. I suspect any turbo upgrade is gonna find mountunes aftermarket unit a problem. bobn
Thank you for sharing !!! ( no really, not being sarcastic ).
I completely agree with you on the Cobb/Mountune sized intercoolers. But that is part of the deal with these type of turbos. That's why I recommend the DHM race coolers to everyone.

As for fueling, I told me ( not 3-4 days ago ) that they are powering cars to 320-330whp on E30 !! I'm not personally making that claim. Just mentioning that a really good tuner said that to me.

The X37 to Cyborg conversion is pretty reasonably priced. And I'm doing them cheap to get them in more people's hands, which will hopefully lead to broader understanding of what the turbos are doing, and capable of.

I can tell you guys that I fully expect the Cyborg39 to spool almost identical to the X37. I know the wheel weights on the compressor side and the turbine design also lends it's self to better spool up. And there are technical reasons why all this should be true, but it's all a bit much to get into :) But I'm pretty confident in the response.

I cannot wait for the results. I am a current cyborg user myself, and I am in love with it. Brian has been an awesome guy. Hell I still text him all the time with questions and just for silly stuff, and guess what? Every single time he answers and always gets back to me. Just an all around awesome guy. My cyborg is not being pushed by any means, but it runs good. if the X39 does what Brian says. guess who is ordering the x39 and selling their cyborg? this guy. My cyborg will be super cheap to. I would love to have some more power. And to be honest, the cyborg is the best fit for me and by far my favorite customer service person I have ever dealt with.

JasonHaven

I find it highly amusing that you're still considering getting the Pumaspeed X-37 through Pumaspeed, even after Adam stated that dealing with them and their horrible customer service is he reason he's not selling them anymore. Not only that but other forum members that have dealt with them also stated that they get no replies to their inquiries. If you want one of these turbos, do yourself a favor and get it from Sour Skittle. His service is top notch and it's built here in the USA. No ridiculous lead times, no sending email after email that goes unanswered. PM him and you'll get a response in an hour or so. Had my Cyborg done with all the options including ported exhaust manifold. Everything was done in 9 days. He's been selling his Cyborgs for over 2 years on this forum. Haven't met one unhappy customer yet. I'm not getting anything from endorsing him, or his product, but when I'm sold a great product with great service, I'm going to tell people about it. Same goes for my new tuner, Ken @ OZ Tuning. Awesome guy and awesome tuning skills. Both highly recommended.
I'm considering it mainly because my tuner (Adam) seems to prefer them, and up until recently they seemed to have good reviews as a company.

I'm pretty far off (still) from pulling the trigger, and I have a feeling I'll be changing my mind by the time I do, especially as I'm reading more haha

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I cannot wait for the results. I am a current cyborg user myself, and I am in love with it. Brian has been an awesome guy. Hell I still text him all the time with questions and just for silly stuff, and guess what? Every single time he answers and always gets back to me. Just an all around awesome guy. My cyborg is not being pushed by any means, but it runs good. if the X39 does what Brian says. guess who is ordering the x39 and selling their cyborg? this guy. My cyborg will be super cheap to. I would love to have some more power. And to be honest, the cyborg is the best fit for me and by far my favorite customer service person I have ever dealt with.
No need to sell! You can send him your cyborg for the "39" turbine side upgrade for cheaper... ask Bryan about it!

No need to sell! You can send him your cyborg for the "39" turbine side upgrade for cheaper... ask Bryan about it!
Oh I know. we talked about it already. but then I would have to pay a shop to take mine off throw my stock back on, send Brian mine, and then do the same again for the new one. it would end up costing me more for him to upgrade mine, then to just buy a new one and sell mine on the side for a few hundred bucks.

I wish I could just do this, it would be easier for sure. but well see what happens.

If the upgrade provides any consistent and measurable difference over my current x37, I'll buy it just for the sake of Bryan's customer service and supportive forum presence. If people will touch 300+ with X37 spool characteristics, this will be a winner for sure.