Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

x37-47 / 2554-60 / C39 / ST280 - Small Turbo Comparison Thread

Gearbox88m

Active Duty U.S. Army
I'm liking the Revo numbers and reviews. I was debating going with a 2860 or 67 but seeing how the Revo makes such good power and still keeps the low end seems like a great deal.

In the sake of keeping this thread from fading out and in honor of the Vodoo turbo making it stateside ( thanks to Ron ) . What is everyone's initial thoughts on this turbo. I have been debating on which larger turbo to upgrade to day n night for a while from hybrids to the gtx kits and really liking this new option . Anyone here has it installed already? Looks like a great contender to the Revo...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
what is a nice small one for max 250-270 hp.
They keep pushing them bigger with long spool time, I asked the same question when I was new here 6 months ago and the answer is an x37, if you can find one asking around here or the FB groups. The current X47R will get you that much on pump gas at least and spool isn't much worse.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
In the sake of keeping this thread from fading out and in honor of the Vodoo turbo making it stateside ( thanks to Ron ) . What is everyone's initial thoughts on this turbo. I have been debating on which larger turbo to upgrade to day n night for a while from hybrids to the gtx kits and really liking this new option . Anyone here has it installed already? Looks like a great contender to the Revo...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
there is only one guy here on the forum really that has the VT330R that I'm aware of. Most of my customers are on IG and Facebook that have purchased this turbo. I can connect you with a few of them if you want for tips and reviews rather than from the guy that just sells them haha

Let me know.

LILIKE16ST

what is a nice small one for max 250-270 hp.
x37...for that power range it's perfect. I just installed one I purchased used. It came with a ported exhaust manifold, large inlet, and a turbosmart WGA for 1g shipped to my house. The guy on the forum I bought it from made 270 whp on 93 with it. I'm currently awaiting my first 93 octane tune revision from pd tuning...I should get to 250-260 to the wheels on 93 easily without pushing the turbo past it's limits (which some on here do...I will not). I'm then going to tune on e30...275 whp is the lowest I'm going to except because we have real good fuel here...and it's 93/e85 for our e30 not 91/e85 like some of the country does. I should probably be able to push it to 280+ on e30 while not overworking the turbo. For the money that's a steal. Highest I ever done on stock turbo with all my current mods minus the catless dp was 213 whp on e30...and that was with a stratified flash tune with 1 revision. It's amazing being able to pick up that much power for a grand. It's just unheard of and the best bang for buck turbo out there bar not no question. If you don't want to buy secondhand I'd recommend the x47...you can get it fully fitted like mine came for little over 2 grand which still isn't that bad considering the performance per dollar ratio. You can expect 10-20 whp more on the 47. The fuel system starts to max out as you approach 300 whp so I figure that's another reason to stick with the 37 other than cost. I can get the full potential out of it without going past the fuel systems limits on e30. Not that people haven't done this with the x47 but it's obviously a little easier to do on the x37 plus spool time is ever so slightly better than the 47 in particular with a ported manifold like I have. I'd love to have a tubular manifold simply because of how they sound if nothing else. Anyways that's my .02. I'll chime in with results once my tuning is finished! I'm working with Ryan at PD Tuning...he's an ecoboost wizard and I've already found out first hand how quickly he was able to diagnose a small issue I had before tuning could begin. Very happy with my choice to be tuned by him.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
x37...for that power range it's perfect. I just installed one I purchased used. It came with a ported exhaust manifold, large inlet, and a turbosmart WGA for 1g shipped to my house. The guy on the forum I bought it from made 270 whp on 93 with it. I'm currently awaiting my first 93 octane tune revision from pd tuning...I should get to 250-260 to the wheels on 93 easily without pushing the turbo past it's limits (which some on here do...I will not). I'm then going to tune on e30...275 whp is the lowest I'm going to except because we have real good fuel here...and it's 93/e85 for our e30 not 91/e85 like some of the country does. I should probably be able to push it to 280+ on e30 while not overworking the turbo. For the money that's a steal. Highest I ever done on stock turbo with all my current mods minus the catless dp was 213 whp on e30...and that was with a stratified flash tune with 1 revision. It's amazing being able to pick up that much power for a grand. It's just unheard of and the best bang for buck turbo out there bar not no question. If you don't want to buy secondhand I'd recommend the x47...you can get it fully fitted like mine came for little over 2 grand which still isn't that bad considering the performance per dollar ratio. You can expect 10-20 whp more on the 47. The fuel system starts to max out as you approach 300 whp so I figure that's another reason to stick with the 37 other than cost. I can get the full potential out of it without going past the fuel systems limits on e30. Not that people haven't done this with the x47 but it's obviously a little easier to do on the x37 plus spool time is ever so slightly better than the 47 in particular with a ported manifold like I have. I'd love to have a tubular manifold simply because of how they sound if nothing else. Anyways that's my .02. I'll chime in with results once my tuning is finished! I'm working with Ryan at PD Tuning...he's an ecoboost wizard and I've already found out first hand how quickly he was able to diagnose a small issue I had before tuning could begin. Very happy with my choice to be tuned by him.
Seriously, it must be nice to have a turbo upgrade to actually take advantage of a higher octane e30 tune as even 87 octane mixed to e30 will max out the stock turbo, LOL! And nice find on the x37, I'm hoping that the new FrankenTurbo in development will take over the "low end" of turbo upgrades, the x47 and now X47R and X57, etc all keep getting bigger and bigger without much left for close to stock spool options, Would be nice if they did an updated x37 and treat the numbers as size options and not new generations that keep getting bigger for those of us who want to keep close to stock spool!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So can anyone here list in increasing size/longer spool what the CURRENT small turbo options are? With so many new options, including some that are small but not hybrids, it would be nice for a first post update or something...

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
After going BT....I will never look back....do you really...really need boost in 1st and 2nd gear? No...it puts more strain on drivetrain down low. When are you honestly driving in 1st and 2nd anyways? Most of the time is spent 3rd gear and up when you think about it. That's when I'm really starting to RIP through the RPMs and MPHs. I thought that the stock Turbo is all I'd ever need...Then I took the chance...Glad I did....love driving it more and look for excuses to drive and datalog...Jason@dizzytuning is working with me...great guy ....very knowledgeable.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club
After going BT....I will never look back....do you really...really need boost in 1st and 2nd gear? No...it puts more strain on drivetrain down low. When are you honestly driving in 1st and 2nd anyways? Most of the time is spent 3rd gear and up when you think about it. That's when I'm really starting to RIP through the RPMs and MPHs. I thought that the stock Turbo is all I'd ever need...Then I took the chance...Glad I did....love driving it more and look for excuses to drive and datalog...Jason@dizzytuning is working with me...great guy ....very knowledgeable.
Yeah, for the kind of driving I do, I want some decent power down low, just willing to trade off *some* of that ridiculous excessive low end torque for more on top, just moving a nice little chunk from down low to up top would be ideal and at least a decent amount less of excessive torque traction and steering probs... But I definitely can respect where you are coming from, nothing wrong with how you want your setup for your use either, just a personal application preference thing and also agree that Jason is the bomb too!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Great thoughts. For reference my X47 spooled 100-200 rpms later than my stock turbo/stage 3 custom tune setup. I do have a custom ported manifold so that might have lowered it a few hundred rpm I am not sure. In any case the X47 truly is near-stock spool, 100-200 rpms isn't enough to notice, see the graph below where stock torque and HP kick in just a slight bit before the X47. Interesting to note.

Aaron you know I love you man and I think your setup is totally epic...however I'd say it's really about preference....in my case the hybrid is the right choice for my driving style, because I DO need boost in 2nd gear!!! 2nd gear redlines at 7,200 for me which is about 62 mph and that's where peak HP is. So...if I want to take advantage of all this power I added, I will be redlining often...which I do...it is fun....in 2nd gear....but then I'm at 60mph which unless I'm on the interstate is the max safe/reasonable speed on most roads, if not more than reasonable. All that's to say that 1st and 2nd are the gears I enjoy the most so for in my case the hybrid is the way to go because I get that low down spool and power that I just love. Sure maybe my car will break before yours that's definitely plausible....when that happens you can sell me your Typhoon and we'll have a beer.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Great thoughts. For reference my X47 spooled 100-200 rpms later than my stock turbo/stage 3 custom tune setup. I do have a custom ported manifold so that might have lowered it a few hundred rpm I am not sure. In any case the X47 truly is near-stock spool, 100-200 rpms isn't enough to notice, see the graph below where stock torque and HP kick in just a slight bit before the X47. Interesting to note.

Aaron you know I love you man and I think your setup is totally epic...however I'd say it's really about preference....in my case the hybrid is the right choice for my driving style, because I DO need boost in 2nd gear!!! 2nd gear redlines at 7,200 for me which is about 62 mph and that's where peak HP is. So...if I want to take advantage of all this power I added, I will be redlining often...which I do...it is fun....in 2nd gear....but then I'm at 60mph which unless I'm on the interstate is the max safe/reasonable speed on most roads, if not more than reasonable. All that's to say that 1st and 2nd are the gears I enjoy the most so for in my case the hybrid is the way to go because I get that low down spool and power that I just love. Sure maybe my car will break before yours that's definitely plausible....when that happens you can sell me your Typhoon and we'll have a beer.
Oh Jeffrey! I do alot of highway driving....that's why I think I like the GTX2860R gen2 so much as I'm hitting its prime right at the end of the on ramp and it's just like an Airplane taking off....it just builds and builds then off you go! The Typhoon the the other hand...completely different animal...4 speed Automatic...AWD...that's a true stop light warrior for sure....I'd drive it down to the Georgia line but it gets 14 mpg on it's best day! When your foot isn't buried into the floor boards at each stoplight.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

gtx3076

1000 Post Club

That graph looks perfect to me. I was torn between the X37 and the X47, but after look at the spool and where your peak torque comes in, I think it would be perfect for retaining DD qualities, and for hitting the many looooong on ramps and straight line roads Texas has to offer. If I lived in more hilly terrain I'd probably stay stock or go with the X37.