Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

x37-47 / 2554-60 / C39 / ST280 - Small Turbo Comparison Thread

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
If you want good consistent power from just 93 oct, I don't know that these turbos(X-37 & Cyborg) are going to give it to you, or at least not as much as most people are looking for. I have limited access to E-85, so I Just swap tunes on my AP. When going on a long trip, I just use the map switching feature(press cancel and then toggle up or down depending on which map you're currently running) and thats it. When I'm just driving around or going to the strip or track, I switch back to my E-30 map. Since I like power and I'm assuming most of us do, otherwise why would we be commenting in a turbo upgrade thread, I will be running meth also. It's pretty simple to set up and its boost dependant. So if you stay off the boost you won't be using the meth therefore it will last longer. I ran it in my Subaru and 1 gallon of meth would typically last me 3-4 tanks of gas depending on how heavy footed i was. Also most systems have a warning to let you know when you're running low. If you want power there are ways to get it. If you don't want to deal with anything more than pulling up to your gas station and pressing a button and filling up, then your power numbers will be limited. Something you'll have to deal with.

If you want good consistent power from just 93 oct, I don't know that these turbos(X-37 & Cyborg) are going to give it to you, or at least not as much as most people are looking for. I have limited access to E-85, so I Just swap tunes on my AP. When going on a long trip, I just use the map switching feature(press cancel and then toggle up or down depending on which map you're currently running) and thats it. When I'm just driving around or going to the strip or track, I switch back to my E-30 map. Since I like power and I'm assuming most of us do, otherwise why would we be commenting in a turbo upgrade thread, I will be running meth also. It's pretty simple to set up and its boost dependant. So if you stay off the boost you won't be using the meth therefore it will last longer. I ran it in my Subaru and 1 gallon of meth would typically last me 3-4 tanks of gas depending on how heavy footed i was. Also most systems have a warning to let you know when you're running low. If you want power there are ways to get it. If you don't want to deal with anything more than pulling up to your gas station and pressing a button and filling up, then your power numbers will be limited. Something you'll have to deal with.
Oh okay, thanks. Just looking for insight wherever I can get it. Pretty new to all this. I used to just drive a truck and all I wanted was a long travel kit to do what I wanted...then got sent to Europe lol.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
If you're good with around 240 whp then I think these turbos will fit the bill. If you're looking to put down 280+ whp on pump gas, its not going to happen. There are vdynos showing gas results as well as E-30 and Meth as well as 93oct and Meth, that way you can gauge what kind of power you can achieve with these turbos.

If you're good with around 240 whp then I think these turbos will fit the bill. If you're looking to put down 280+ whp on pump gas, its not going to happen. There are vdynos showing gas results as well as E-30 and Meth as well as 93oct and Meth, that way you can gauge what kind of power you can achieve with these turbos.
I'm going for about 250-260whp. I had seen on the tune+ site they got 264 out of an x-37 on 93. I'd like to be pulling 255 on 93 or 95. I'm not trying to run a tune that will kill my car in 15k miles so I was thinking 260 on 95 would be reasonable. Maybe I should go go about 260 on 93+meth. So much more research to do to look into meth kits and installing myself, common problems, etc.
I should probably just take another month or two to research it better and go for 93+meth.

Siestarider

Before I had my Cyborg built, I asked SS if he thought I could get 230/250 hp on 93/E30. He said yes, with a real tune. So I plan to use 93 on street and E30 on track. Those are my goals, but still being held up by suspension mods I want to evaluate before adding hp for track. Just Cobb S3 is plenty for street, and more than I use except for special occasions.

If my hot side pipe comes in before coils, I will probably change the plan, mount Cyborg and get on with tuning. I am starting to remind myself of an old middle school taunt: big talk, little do.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I'm going for about 250-260whp. I had seen on the tune+ site they got 264 out of an x-37 on 93. I'd like to be pulling 255 on 93 or 95. I'm not trying to run a tune that will kill my car in 15k miles so I was thinking 260 on 95 would be reasonable. Maybe I should go go about 260 on 93+meth. So much more research to do to look into meth kits and installing myself, common problems, etc.
I should probably just take another month or two to research it better and go for 93+meth.
I've used he Aem meth kit in the past. It'll run you approximately $450. It's not overly complicated, depending on your level of mechanical/electrical ability. It comes with instructions and there are plenty of YouTube videos detailing install on a myriad of different vehicles.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Before I had my Cyborg built, I asked SS if he thought I could get 230/250 hp on 93/E30. He said yes, with a real tune. So I plan to use 93 on street and E30 on track. Those are my goals, but still being held up by suspension mods I want to evaluate before adding hp for track. Just Cobb S3 is plenty for street, and more than I use except for special occasions.

If my hot side pipe comes in before coils, I will probably change the plan, mount Cyborg and get on with tuning. I am starting to remind myself of an old middle school taunt: big talk, little do.
I know what you mean. Once you have your cyborg installed and tuned, be sure to post some info. We live relatively close to one another and I'll be installing the cyborg in another 3 weeks. Curious to see how they compare. Who do you plan on using for tuning?

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Yeah I pulled the trigger on one of these and I hope it will be worth the money, I'm limited only to 93. I chose the 37 over the SS because I talked to a guy who had the SS cyborg and he said on 93 it would barely pull on his buddies stage 3. He recommended the 37 to me. Let's hope it's powerful enough on 93

Siestarider

I know what you mean. Once you have your cyborg installed and tuned, be sure to post some info. We live relatively close to one another and I'll be installing the cyborg in another 3 weeks. Curious to see how they compare. Who do you plan on using for tuning?
I have been following you, hoping you would go first. I have already been robbed by Panda, went back to Cobb S3. From what I have read, its either Tune+ or DHM for Cyborg.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I have been following you, hoping you would go first. I have already been robbed by Panda, went back to Cobb S3. From what I have read, its either Tune+ or DHM for Cyborg.
I have no problem going first. As soon as my turbo is ready, I'll report back and start my thread.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I think you guys would have to agree that I've been pretty respectful of the X37 and not bashed it or been critical of anything to do with it.
And I'll continue to do so.
But I do want to bring up something because I'm positive almost no one is aware of this, and I wanted to bring it to light to help X37 users out. This is a fact. Some may feel its good idea to correct it, some may feel its not worth the trouble or bit of money. I'll leave that upto you guys. So here we go...

The stock turbine wheel 32mm by 38mm.
The stock exhaust manifold outlet is 33mm and the stock turbine exhaust inlet is 35mm. This is was not the end or the world for ford to use small ports like this because it matches the stock turbine size and stock compressor wheel flow capabilities in general.

That being said... With Pumaspeed upping the compressor wheel by 8mm and upping the turbine wheel another 5mm you end up feeding a 38mm by 43mm turbine wheel ( appox ) with a bottle necked manifold outlet and pinched turbine inlet, both of which are smaller than the turbine wheel.

Its not the end of the world or anything, but... If you really want to push an X37, it maybe worth your time to consider it.
I cores on manifolds and could have a week or less turn around time on porting your turbine in most cases.

Just something for you guys to be aware of. Not trying to steal any business or make any claims, just thought I'd put that info out there so people are aware and if they want to do something about it, my options are pretty reasonable. And... If you don't want to use me as a solution, you can be prepared yourself to remedy these flow restrictions yourself before your new turbo shows up.
But just be very aware, I spend 12+ hours on a turbine/manifold port job for an internal wastegate setup. And I'm extremely used to doing these.

This also applies to guys with ATP kits. Manifolds still have a 33mm output feeding 53mm turbine wheel, and I'd match the adaptor for free if you send it.

Stock

About where I take them.

ATP guys wonder why they can't match aftermarket manifolds with response...

So what are your impressions? Any before and after numbers?
Well I'm only on the third revision of the 93 octane tune so I'm not running big boost numbers yet, but from what I can tell so far the car holds power a lot better in the higher RPMs. I don't think anyone who goes with these hybrid/cyborg turbos are looking for big power. I honestly got the cyborg because I knew I would have a more useable powerband. It won't turn the fiesta into a drag/straight line car, but I imagine the better power band would help a lot in auto-x and on the track. I never got a before dyno but I imagine my stage 3 dyno numbers would look about the same as anyone else's. I'll see what I can do about getting it on the dyno once the 93 tune is finalized and again after E30.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Well I'm only on the third revision of the 93 octane tune so I'm not running big boost numbers yet, but from what I can tell so far the car holds power a lot better in the higher RPMs. I don't think anyone who goes with these hybrid/cyborg turbos are looking for big power. I honestly got the cyborg because I knew I would have a more useable powerband. It won't turn the fiesta into a drag/straight line car, but I imagine the better power band would help a lot in auto-x and on the track. I never got a before dyno but I imagine my stage 3 dyno numbers would look about the same as anyone else's. I'll see what I can do about getting it on the dyno once the 93 tune is finalized and again after E30.
Thanks for chiming in.

I have my first revision from Adam sitting on my car now for my cyborg. Had someone else install it and tune it and I am getting a "miss fire" up top, so it's been on 17 pounds of boost for 2 months. I went external waste gate and all. I had to order new plugs because the person who installed mine gapped them at .21 for what reason? No idea. So when I went to regap mine to .26 i broke the tip on 1 and messed up another by throwing on the ground because it was so damn hot. So I ordered tune+ plugs they will be in tomorrow. Hoping like hell after installing them and tuning with Adam the car will run right. I'm on E30 by the way. I'm gonna have him do a 93 tune for me to if this works out

I have my first revision from Adam sitting on my car now for my cyborg. Had someone else install it and tune it and I am getting a "miss fire" up top, so it's been on 17 pounds of boost for 2 months. I went external waste gate and all. I had to order new plugs because the person who installed mine gapped them at .21 for what reason? No idea. So when I went to regap mine to .26 i broke the tip on 1 and messed up another by throwing on the ground because it was so damn hot. So I ordered tune+ plugs they will be in tomorrow. Hoping like hell after installing them and tuning with Adam the car will run right. I'm on E30 by the way. I'm gonna have him do a 93 tune for me to if this works out
I still have the waste gate in the turbo, but I have the turbosmart wg actuator. I had the denso plugs from tune+ installed at the same time as the turbo. I'm at around 21psi max right now. I've just been super lazy with running logs and I'm honestly trying to find a place closer to home that I can do a third gear pull without attracting too much attention. I get tired of having to drive out to the country lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I for one would be all over porting the stock manifold and the WG on an E37 setup, I have already done this work on the Cyborg I had before I went to the EFR, now with the GT2560R on tubular manifolds.

SS rates are damn reasonable considering how much work this takes but it is kind of a fun DIY mod so I highly recommend going either route.