Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

x37-47 / 2554-60 / C39 / ST280 - Small Turbo Comparison Thread

I posted a video on my YouTube channel recently and under "Mr. Rhinopolis", and if you skip to 4:20 in to the video (I talk way too much in my videos) then you can jump right to the action.

Perhaps what I do in that video will give you a metric that you can use to decide if a hybrid turbo is enough power for what you are wanting out of your ST?
Awesome, thanks man!

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I plan on doing a straight 93 tune and a 93 e20-25 tune. I've had good experiences at Cobb in Plano with tuning in the past. Hoping to make 215-220whp on pump 93.
Are you expecting those numbers on a stock turbo ?

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
At least your expectations aren't too high. I see a lot of people thinking they'll make 300 on 93 with the x37 (thanks to some marketing) and I've seen some say they want to make 275+ on the cyborg. It won't happen. I make 235-240 on e30 with my cyborg and I'm happy with it. That 240hp comes at 6500rpms (almost a 70hp increase over stock)

Don't get caught up with numbers. The car will be transformed no matter which turbo you choose

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
You'll make around 240WHP on 93oct depending on supporting mods. I haven't dyno'd mine since I'm still tuning, but I was putting down 205whp on 93 with stock turbo. I can tell you the cyborg pulls way harder than my stock turbo on E30. A few of he guys that have Cyborgs have varied on Vdyno. Avg should be around 240whp on pump depending on tune and mods. Think you'll be very happy. I love mine so far.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
At least your expectations aren't too high. I see a lot of people thinking they'll make 300 on 93 with the x37 (thanks to some marketing) and I've seen some say they want to make 275+ on the cyborg. It won't happen. I make 235-240 on e30 with my cyborg and I'm happy with it. That 240hp comes at 6500rpms (almost a 70hp increase over stock)

Don't get caught up with numbers. The car will be transformed no matter which turbo you choose
You'll make around 240WHP on 93oct depending on supporting mods. I haven't dyno'd mine since I'm still tuning, but I was putting down 205whp on 93 with stock turbo. I can tell you the cyborg pulls way harder than my stock turbo on E30. A few of he guys that have Cyborgs have varied on Vdyno. Avg should be around 240whp on pump depending on tune and mods. Think you'll be very happy. I love mine so far.
Car is being tuned on a mustang dyno. I figure 215-220 on a mustang dyno is 230-240 on a dynojet. Dyno numbers don't affect me to much. Im looking for a flatter power band for sure.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club

Car is being tuned on a mustang dyno. I figure 215-220 on a mustang dyno is 230-240 on a dynojet. Dyno numbers don't affect me to much. Im looking for a flatter power band for sure.

MD is a heartbreaker when it comes to final numbers but for tuning it's the best. Fwiw my 3600lb fbody only did 303rwhp on a MD but ran 12.2 in the 1/4, on par with a 340rwhp+ dynojet car.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
This I can vouch for. Turbo spools up around 400rpm later than stock. I'm seeing 20psi by 3300rpm and it doesn't taper till redline. Car is so much more fun to drive and feels good to not have to shift at 5500 rpm for lack of power. I'm not a big numbers guy either. I rather have a car that feels fast than one that is fast but doesn't feel it. I definitely feel the difference over stock, and I'm still on 93 tuning. I'm sure I'll be even happier in e30

haste

1000 Post Club
I have done a ton of datalogs with full bolt-ons always on the same road. Cobb stage 3 and 93 e10 pump gas and best HP I could muster was 197. I'm still tuning on the X-37 and am already hitting 251hp on 93 e10. I'm limited right now because I don't have the big bore elbow inlet for the turbo. I'm hitting 20psi at 2600rpms during a 4th gear pull from 2000rpms and it holds 25psi and higher from 3400 rpms on till it peters out due to my small turbo elbow, but even at 6900rpms(my set rev limit), I'm holding 23psi.

Next month, I'm planning to get silly with my car. If another forum member is willing to buy a Cyborg off me that'll be pretty much brand new after the test for the same price, I'd be willing to buy both a Cyborg and Pumaspeed, and dyno them. Same car, same mods, same tune, etc. I'll even try to do the dyno runs in as close to same weather as reasonably possible. Could possibly even try for the same day if the tuning can be sorted quick enough.

Adam would have to be onboard as well though. I plan to buy the lifetime tune from him, but still don't want to be rude and waste his time retuning my car after the experiment. Also not sure what would be a fair tune to use for both. We could settle this once and for all though.

Siestarider

Won't settle diddly. Someone will argue about tuning. Someone else will point out a dyno cannot replicate real tracking. Someone else will point out torque curves are a preference not an absolute.

I prefer VDyno and use of logs run on road to a "real" dyno. Better? No, just my preference. I like data, and the only comparison of interest to me is changes to my car and what they do to performance.

My absolute is did I set a new PB at track or not. More on me than car. Used to be totally on me. Getting a little better.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I have done a ton of datalogs with full bolt-ons always on the same road. Cobb stage 3 and 93 e10 pump gas and best HP I could muster was 197. I'm still tuning on the X-37 and am already hitting 251hp on 93 e10. I'm limited right now because I don't have the big bore elbow inlet for the turbo. I'm hitting 20psi at 2600rpms during a 4th gear pull from 2000rpms and it holds 25psi and higher from 3400 rpms on till it peters out due to my small turbo elbow, but even at 6900rpms(my set rev limit), I'm holding 23psi.
Very eager to see your final results posted!

So far the x-37 Hybrid has impressed me the most out of any other options that I've reviewed with respect to quality, value, and well matched / balanced performance, and appears to be the best suited turbo upgrade currently available that would most certainly satisfy all my needs...

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Only way I see it being a fair comparison is both turbos would have to be on same vehicle with same supporting mods and tuned by a third party that has nothing to gain by one or the other coming out on top. Someone like Randy from Mountune or stratified. Obviously would have to be done under same conditions i.e. Temp, humidity, load etc. Don't see this happening, and that's cool. I've never seen this as a who's got the better turbo thread anyway. Most people have gone with the X-37 and that's cool. I went a different route with the Cyborg for my own reasons. So far I'm happy with the results. To each their own.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Next month, I'm planning to get silly with my car. If another forum member is willing to buy a Cyborg off me that'll be pretty much brand new after the test for the same price, I'd be willing to buy both a Cyborg and Pumaspeed, and dyno them. Same car, same mods, same tune, etc. I'll even try to do the dyno runs in as close to same weather as reasonably possible. Could possibly even try for the same day if the tuning can be sorted quick enough.

Adam would have to be onboard as well though. I plan to buy the lifetime tune from him, but still don't want to be rude and waste his time retuning my car after the experiment. Also not sure what would be a fair tune to use for both. We could settle this once and for all though.
That is laughable.. He wouldn't tune the cyborg to touch the x37. He's selling the x37, why would he tune a cyborg to the same level? To give SS some sales? Gotta try a little harder. I think someone without a dog in the race (stratified, randy nobles, deadhook, freektune) would be better off tuning both to see some unbiased results

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Only way I see it being a fair comparison is both turbos would have to be on same vehicle with same supporting mods and tuned by a third party that has nothing to gain by one or the other coming out on top. Someone like Randy from Mountune or stratified. Obviously would have to be done under same conditions i.e. Temp, humidity, load etc. Don't see this happening, and that's cool. I've never seen this as a who's got the better turbo thread anyway. Most people have gone with the X-37 and that's cool. I went a different route with the Cyborg for my own reasons. So far I'm happy with the results. To each their own.
Agreed. Most people would be on the same page as us..

It looks like the x37 makes some more power due to obvious reasons, but not an extrodinary amount to the point where considering the cyborg is no longer an option. Both are good turbos and both are better than stock. What's the debate? Lol

Won't settle diddly. Someone will argue about tuning. Someone else will point out a dyno cannot replicate real tracking. Someone else will point out torque curves are a preference not an absolute.

I prefer VDyno and use of logs run on road to a "real" dyno. Better? No, just my preference. I like data, and the only comparison of interest to me is changes to my car and what they do to performance.

My absolute is did I set a new PB at track or not. More on me than car. Used to be totally on me. Getting a little better.
I know, I know. I was just throwing the offer out there. Wouldn't even bother me if a neutral tuner set up for both, but I'm not going to eat the cost for that as well.