Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

x37-47 / 2554-60 / C39 / ST280 - Small Turbo Comparison Thread

Based

So the only problem with the x37 is it runs out of fuel? Would the stratified xtra fuel system allow you to make more power?

Lets not act like the other slower hybrid option doesnt have problems. From bad oil seals to someone leaking oil and could of ended up real bad. Pumaspeed is a legit company who does actual R&D. That doesnt mean you wont have problems with the x37/47 etc. Shit happens sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

JasonHaven

I guess this is what happens when there's competition.

By most accounts, both hybrid options seem to be of good quality, with a couple unlucky people having a problem with one thing or another.

I can't wait to see more results from both the X47 and the C39, and the continued development of this style of turbo. I'm in the market in the long term, so these developments are exciting to me. Hopefully no one gets run off by unnecessary drama.

I just want to restate what I said in my earlier post, that, despite having had problems because of a casting flaw, wherever it was cast, I'm happy with the X-37's performance after we got the coolant leak sorted out. It does seem that Pumaspeed is now taking the American market seriously with the X-47. I just regret having had to shell out the extra $$ to remedy the defect. In the greater scheme of things, not a big deal.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
So the only problem with the x37 is it runs out of fuel? Would the stratified xtra fuel system allow you to make more power?
Not quite. Throwing aux fuel at a hybrid turbo won't do much for you. There's one member I can think of that tried it. He sold his car without much word of it. You run out of turbo before you run out of fuel. Meth is used to prevent knock when timing is pushed. So basically, you get about 250-260whp of turbo and to go higher the rest is timing and meth.

Some Guy On The Internet

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Not quite. Throwing aux fuel at a hybrid turbo won't do much for you. There's one member I can think of that tried it. He sold his car without much word of it. You run out of turbo before you run out of fuel. Meth is used to prevent knock when timing is pushed. So basically, you get about 250-260whp of turbo and to go higher the rest is timing and meth.

Some Guy On The Internet
Absolutely true.

Some Guy On The Internet
Correct, if you are meeting the AFR target for the designated airflow then adding more fuel does nothing. At this point a higher octane is needed or something like meth. First criteria is airflow, the next would be fuel, and then timing. So once your designated AFR is reached at this point only advancing the timing will gain more power in terms of tuning(more complicated but keeping it simple) . Advance too much and you create knock, this is where octane comes in and why running E blends yield more power due to their knock prevention.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Meth also helps cover a poor intercooler choice. And fills the gap in ANY fueling issues you have at that level. 360whp on a single meth fogger, no Aux fuel.

So many benefits to meth, and it's so under rated on these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfblue15

1000 Post Club
Meth also helps cover a poor intercooler choice. And fills the gap in ANY fueling issues you have at that level. 360whp on a single meth fogger, no Aux fuel.

So many benefits to meth, and it's so under rated on these cars.

You know as well as I do that meth a sketchy form of aux fueling at best. To achieve a reliable 330+whp on these cars aux fuel is necessary. Sure, water meth supplied what you needed for fuel for a little while but, we all know how your old motor ended.
I love water meth as much as the next guy but I realize it's meant to add octane and a small bit of fuel system "range" over stock. It is not an auxiliary fueling solution. I'm sure on a small hybrid the stock fuel system and water meth is more then enough, but if you want big power the Aux fuel kit is where it's at.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Just food for thought fellas- where are the dunk graphs? Either I'm blind or this is one forum with the most amount of talk and the least amount of data (dyne time)

Could you imagine an organized thread where each turbocharger has its own dyno sections?

I think it would settle a lot of bs and more notably a hell of a lot of time that you guys keep posting back and forth.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Just food for thought fellas- where are the dunk graphs? Either I'm blind or this is one forum with the most amount of talk and the least amount of data (dyne time)

Could you imagine an organized thread where each turbocharger has its own dyno sections?

I think it would settle a lot of bs and more notably a hell of a lot of time that you guys keep posting back and forth.

Nobody wants to pay for a dyno. Everyone uses v dyno. They're out there just have to look, but I agree, a well organized dyno graph thread would be very helpful

Nobody wants to pay for a dyno. Everyone uses v dyno. They're out there just have to look, but I agree, a well organized dyno graph thread would be very helpful
I basically have unlimited free access to a dyno from my tuner, now I just need to decide on a turbo. Whatever I eventually go with, that turbo will get graphs out the ass.

... if everyone just ships me all their turbos I'll take care of the rest haha [shakehands]

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I find it very funny and somewhat ironic that people will pay over $4,000 for a turbo setup but don't want to pay around $100 for dyno pulls...

As I suggested earlier, I think a dedicated dyno thread, sectioned off by each turbo would really provide black and white answers to many people vs all these debates that have been going on lately.

I know I'd definitely love to see some?

Good like finding 5 different hybrid turbos to bolt to the same car on the same day on the same dyno with the same impartial tuner on the same fuel.

Other wise.... it's kind of rough with such a narrow max performance between all of these turbos.

Ask what a Cobb stage3 car will dyno. Your answers will vary by 30whp on the stock turbo.
Fair enough. But I wasn't suggesting nor expecting someone at the same time with 5 different set ups to dyno. But more like people gathering their own dyno data and posting it up.

Ps I also pmd you twice.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Even If you had 5 graphs for each turbo showing different fuels, etc. it would give people a general idea of what to expect

grnmachine02

Why are we over complicating the dyno thread thing? It's not that hard. One thread for turbo A, one thread for Turbo B etc. If we get a decent sample size of graphs, you can have at least an idea of what kind of power to expect. If the majority of graphs are all somewhere between 220-250 hp, then chances are you will make the same. Obviously, there are exceptions and no two cars are the same so there will be the odd freakishly high and disappointingly low numbers.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Why are we over complicating the dyno thread thing? It's not that hard. One thread for turbo A, one thread for Turbo B etc.
Specific turbo threads listed below...Some of these threads are fairly well organized with dyno / v-dyno results posted and some not so much...

Official Pumaspeed X-37 Hybrid Turbo Thread

Cyborg Upgraded Stock Turbocharger System

DHM "Quick Spool" GT290r Turbo Kit Release!!!

PERON P3xx Twin-Scroll Turbo Thread

Turbo Upgrade - GT2554R or GT2560R? Expectations?

Big Turbo Results Thread

PumaSpeed's New X-47 Hybrid Turbo Thread