Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

x37-47 / 2554-60 / C39 / ST280 - Small Turbo Comparison Thread

This is the only C39 i have tuned on a chassis dyno. Stock Air box, Stock exhuast, and factory fit intercooler. Also the car did have a boost leak. Prob 10whp on the table max with that set up. We will hit the dyno again soon with exhuast, not stock air box and a bigger intercooler.

Stage2 plus ST280 93oct e30 by Russell Culver, on Flickr
I and im sure others look forward to those results.

My 1 issue with the c39 it makes full boost a 3.5krpm but theres like a lag or something. The car just doesnt pull until much later in the power band. I race a random 370z with unknown mods and i destroy it by 2 cars though.

I was going to get it tuned by you but i rather wait and get a different turbo 1st.

And SS you shouldn't be calling your own customers cheap just cuz of your beef with adam. I wouldnt have to defend myself and talk crap back

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thanks for pointing out the differences in price/power.

It's one thing to say that X is the best but another to point out what will work with your goals and a budget of Y. Not everyone can afford to throw $4,000 into a turbo setup for a sub $25,000 car.

Take my GT2554R for example, I know it's not the best, quickest spooling or highest power range turbo but I got it for a steal of a price from a local member, so I'm making the best of my budget.

DHM1

1000 Post Club

My 1 issue with the c39 it makes full boost a 3.5krpm but theres like a lag or something. The car just doesnt pull until much later in the power band. I race a random 370z with unknown mods and i destroy it by 2 cars though.

I was going to get it tuned by you but i rather wait and get a different turbo 1st.

And SS you shouldn't be calling your own customers cheap just cuz of your beef with adam. I wouldnt have to defend myself and talk crap back
The C39 hits full boost much sooner than that from the 3 that i have tuned. 3100-3200rpm in 3rd, in 4th its 2900rpm.

As for [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] i hope thats not what he is doing. We just hit our 300th ST tune and love every one of our customers just as if they where some off our big power builds. Right now i have [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION] in the shop doing a tear down for his new engine build that will have a x47 on it. All i can do is give our data and tell people what the difference between things are and recommend the best application. I have always learned if some buys something and they are not happy they will buy something else. So for those that get something like our ST280 or x47 and want more they will sell their old turbo and step up to the next level.

Russ

DHM1

1000 Post Club

The C39 hits full boost much sooner than that from the 3 that i have tuned. 3100-3200rpm in 3rd, in 4th its 2900rpm.

As for [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION] i hope thats not what he is doing. We just hit our 300th ST tune and love every one of our customers just as if they where some off our big power builds. Right now i have [MENTION=1650]Pete[/MENTION] in the shop doing a tear down for his new engine build that will have a x47 on it. All i can do is give our data and tell people what the difference between things are and recommend the best application. I have always learned if some buys something and they are not happy they will buy something else. So for those that get something like our ST280 or x47 and want more they will sell their old turbo and step up to the next level.

Russ

Russ
Did any of those have a ported manifold and/or had a turbosmart iwg. I was using ss custom iwg
And whats your definition of full boost? I seen people with different opinions. I do hit 20 psi a little sooner than 3.5k rpm. 25psi at 3.5k

Hi Boys
It's Tony from Pumaspeed

We are not known for spending time on forums unfortunately and especially Non European forums

I will happily answer all questions ref UK vs US cars and tuning and parts

I won't be looking here every hour on the hour as we actually do tune some cars through the normal working day

But email or pm is the best way to ask a question or two

Hi Boys
It's Tony from Pumaspeed

We are not known for spending time on forums unfortunately and especially Non European forums

I won't be looking here every hour on the hour as we actually do tune some cars through the normal working day

Welcome to the forums. Lot of people are looking forward to seeing results from the X47

Hi Boys
It's Tony from Pumaspeed

Hi Tony, welcome to the forums. Let me ask you something that i think a lot of people on here are curious about. The impression many of us have had for a long time is that the x-37 pushed the stock turbo to the limit, and anything more is not going to be reliable. Most people on here care a great deal about their car and thus are a little skeptical/hesitant to pull the trigger on the new x-47. Could you speak a little bit to the testing you did and perhaps the reliability that you expect?

Hey Tony, glad you're here.

Just want to let you know that I had a coolant leak from a casting flaw in the compressor housing which required me to pay to have my x-37 removed and new, stronger, bolts and crush washers installed to solve the problem. Someone told me that the housing isn't OEM, but came from China, but I have no idea whether that's true or not. For people who are their own mechanics this might be a minor problem, but as an ordinary customer, this became a major inconvenience and cost me some $$$.

Perhaps it would be helpful, given all the interest that the x-47 is generating, for you to spell out exactly what warranties apply to US customers and what exactly Pumaspeed will do in case of a problem such as I had.

Just to be clear: this isn't a case of sour grapes, I did pay to have the defect corrected and am really happy with the car as it stands (with your x-37, Quaife & accompanying mods the car runs great and is a blast to drive). I just think that it's really important for people to know, before buying, what support they can expect if something goes wrong.

Ref the China quote
100% no

ALL our core are genuine Ford OE.

We have never used any china centres as we need the whole old unit

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Good to see That Tony on here and clarifying the whole Core issue. That was SS that made that conclusion but what interest does he have?

None the less, just like the x37, I'm sure the x47 won't disappoint and just like the times in the past [MENTION=4033]Ish[/MENTION] will put her up against the best[emoji1307]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Guess it would be rude of me to ask why the center section/bearing housing on the X37 lacks the factory casting numbers the ford factory center sections have...

Guess I can post a video of the two ( since I happen to have an X37 and 12 factory ford turbochargers ), but that too might be a little rude as well...

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Good to see That Tony on here and clarifying the whole Core issue. That was SS that made that conclusion but what interest does he have?

None the less, just like the x37, I'm sure the x47 won't disappoint and just like the times in the past [MENTION=4033]Ish[/MENTION] will put her up against the best[emoji1307]

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club

I can go to harbor freight and buy a screw driver in the USA. Doesn't mean it didn't come from China :)

Hi Tony, welcome to the forums. Let me ask you something that i think a lot of people on here are curious about. The impression many of us have had for a long time is that the x-37 pushed the stock turbo to the limit, and anything more is not going to be reliable. Most people on here care a great deal about their car and thus are a little skeptical/hesitant to pull the trigger on the new x-47. Could you speak a little bit to the testing you did and perhaps the reliability that you expect?
We have looked deep and hard at the x47 development
There are many features that do assist in reliability such as a Full Back turbine wheel and total accuracy cnc machining
We spend many hours on track and even more hours on the road and dynos pushing to the limits to make sure these things are bang on.
For instance We tried the ne x37 for the focus RS mk3 last week to 180mph ( speedo indicated ) and over 400whp

Warranty problems can be dealt with quickly through your supplying dealer.

But we have only ever seen one issue and this was at first install . when we fitted it here to one of our 4 cars the turbo had no issues
We send a new unit out irrespective.

So far I can honestly say 100% record is 30 USA units and 60 plus European units of the 37 let alone x27

Obviously there are some members who are going to push it hard but we have run it at 2 bar to 7000 revs and the perfectly matched wheels are without problems.

The X37 pushed the limits for 38-39mm exhaust wheels only, the Fiesta responds perfectly to exhaust housing modifications, just look at the ATP and DHM kits, big turbine big power bigger lag.

It didn't push the limits of the ecoboost motor

If you want to
Move more air you have to increase the size of the holes for a given turbine speed

The X/47 increases sizes from 38-39mm to 45mm and for a given turbine speed will flow more naturally

It leaves more headroom to run the turbo lower for a given power or push the flow rate to add more.

Reliability has never been an issue for any of th X series in the last 3 years of testing
Fiesta
Focus
Fusion
Mondeo

All have the same quality internals and are custom balanced with a report that directly comes to me.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
My X37 is wrapped up ready to be shipped at my house, when a lucky buyer takes it off my hands. But when I get home, I'm make sure to post the clearest video I can for both turbos. For now.... this is a "likely blurry" OEM Ford Borg Warner turbocharger video. I'll re-upload it later so it's in HD as well as the video of the X37 bearing housing ( from the 5k mile X37 we had to replace the turbine shaft in ).

https://vimeo.com/196354989

To be clear... this is NOT me saying I've seen a durability issue with the X37. I have not. Nothing is 100% and I wrote this one we fixed off as a fluke because.... crap happens. Could have been anything from a spark plug going through the turbine to.... IDK...

We tested to 290 whp on Euro ECU
Let the boys who have them fitted and mapped this year in the USA tell the story
I'm looking forward to seeing the custom maps from Panda DHM and Tune+
The Cobb unit is so versatile in comparison to the Euro ECU

Jealous!!

DHM1

1000 Post Club
The X37 pushed the limits for 38-39mm exhaust wheels only, the Fiesta responds perfectly to exhaust housing modifications, just look at the ATP and DHM kits, big turbine big power bigger lag.

It didn't push the limits of the ecoboost motor

If you want to
Move more air you have to increase the size of the holes for a given turbine speed

The X/47 increases sizes from 38-39mm to 45mm and for a given turbine speed will flow more naturally

It leaves more headroom to run the turbo lower for a given power or push the flow rate to add more.

Reliability has never been an issue for any of th X series in the last 3 years of testing
Fiesta
Focus
Fusion
Mondeo

All have the same quality internals and are custom balanced with a report that directly comes to me.
Tony I don't talk bad about your products I would appreciate if you did the same. Our kit spool 1000-1500rpm faster than ATP and hit 20psi under 3200rpm. That's far from "big lag"

As for everyone arguing and bickering. Making claims to tarnish the next person just stop. That shit hurts everyone's business. In the end the product and content will speak for its self.

Russ