Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GoPro mounting?

I am looking forward to taking my fiST to the track as well as to the canyons, I'm wondering if anyone has ever mounted a GoPro to their car? I have the suction cup but am wondering if anyone has actually used it on any part of the exterior body? I personally am interested in the lower to the ground view on the front left panel so you get the wheel turning in the shot. Anybody who has either mounted a GoPro using a clip or suction cup anywhere on the exterior of their ST, what precautionary steps did you take not to scratch the paintwork as well as protect your GoPro? What mounting methods or angles have you experimented with?

i mount my suction cup on the front bumper. i installed the tow hook and had a safety zip-tie encase it came loose but it held on tight.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Here is what I made out of parts I had laying around.

Dave

Pete

I clean the area first with invisible glass to make sure there is no dirt. Then give a little spray to the suction cup without wiping it and stic it on. No scratches, and it has withstood my track day abuse with speeds just over 100 mph. Stood on all day as well with 7 sessions going out to the track.

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #5
I clean the area first with invisible glass to make sure there is no dirt. Then give a little spray to the suction cup without wiping it and stic it on. No scratches, and it has withstood my track day abuse with speeds just over 100 mph. Stood on all day as well with 7 sessions going out to the track.
That's pretty impressive, I would imagine it wouldn't last that long but perhaps I just need to trust the suction cup more, after all I know they even mount them on planes. Good to know you've done this.

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #6
Here is what I made out of parts I had laying around.

Dave

Pretty cool, I like the angle but is it high enough? Ever tried mounting it to the drivers side seat and extending the stick? If so does it stick out of the window? And what exactly did you mount it to? It looks like it must stop at the metal rods of the headrest?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Pretty cool, I like the angle but is it high enough? Ever tried mounting it to the drivers side seat and extending the stick? If so does it stick out of the window? And what exactly did you mount it to? It looks like it must stop at the metal rods of the headrest?
It is made from aluminum round bar and yes it mounts to the headrest posts with "U" bolts.
It is at a perfect height but if you raze the headrest it would be higher.
The bar could be made in any length however, I think it would hit the "B" pillar if you tried to put it out the window.

Maybe I will work on a collapsible bar and see if it can be made to go out the window.
Funny, while typing this sentence I just thought of a good way to do it.

Dave

I use a Sony HDR-AS200V, but same thing; just higher quality and an integrated GPS. :)

I mount mine on the rear passenger window looking towards the windshield when I autocross. It helps me not only see the course, but also my inputs. It is worth noting that keeping the mounted window rolled all the way up is best with the front passenger window mostly up, as it tends to buffet the camera otherwise and cause weird noise and vibrations for the camera.

I don't typically like mounting the camera outside due to wind noise, though if you must; a place to avoid is putting it in the top corner of the windshield. That seems to be where a good portion of the air is directed over the car. Same with the little front side window near the mirror.

Also, they make this now (A bit pricey), which is similar to what D1JL made, but with a lot more adjustability.

https://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Tac...liid=I3DB08HIEP21DD&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

OP
ActiveArchST
Thread Starter #10
I use a Sony HDR-AS200V, but same thing; just higher quality and an integrated GPS. :)

I mount mine on the rear passenger window looking towards the windshield when I autocross. It helps me not only see the course, but also my inputs. It is worth noting that keeping the mounted window rolled all the way up is best with the front passenger window mostly up, as it tends to buffet the camera otherwise and cause weird noise and vibrations for the camera.

I don't typically like mounting the camera outside due to wind noise, though if you must; a place to avoid is putting it in the top corner of the windshield. That seems to be where a good portion of the air is directed over the car. Same with the little front side window near the mirror.

Also, they make this now (A bit pricey), which is similar to what D1JL made, but with a lot more adjustability.

https://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Tac...liid=I3DB08HIEP21DD&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
Very cool, thanks for the tip. For the time being, I've just been mounting my GoPro usIng the suction cup directly onto the inner front windshield looking out over the hood, seems to be working fine.. for now.

The link to the mount you provided is exactly what I'm interested in, I'll definitely pick one up before heading to the track for the first time in a few months. Seems like you really can't go wrong with that angle, especially if you want to get some input on your reactions while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a picture of where my homemade mount for my GoPro is mounted inside my car, but it's basically right under the passenger headrest. I've noticed my videos there become extremely washed out. If you see my video of one of my track days, I can barely see outside of the car. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/3O9QDJbYgOk

I used the suction mount on the passenger fender by the tire during another track day, and it held up with no issues. I made sure to clean that area a little bit like Pete stated above and it held up.

CoachMK21

I don't have a picture of where my homemade mount for my GoPro is mounted inside my car, but it's basically right under the passenger headrest. I've noticed my videos there become extremely washed out. If you see my video of one of my track days, I can barely see outside of the car. Here's the video: https://youtu.be/3O9QDJbYgOk

I used the suction mount on the passenger fender by the tire during another track day, and it held up with no issues. I made sure to clean that area a little bit like Pete stated above and it held up.
I've had a similar issue with my GoPro video's in the past. I've been told it's because the camera view is not centered in the windshield opening. I guess if it's off slightly, then the camera focus' on the interior and the bright outside becomes washed out.

I used to mount mine via suction cup on the lower door and I would just wash it off with some water first and then stick it on, never had it fall off.

That made for a good angle, but I installed a gopro mount on the front and it produces the most fun perspective I believe (not the most useful for studying your past runs/lines though).

13040998_246410305712221_2076073511705167545_o.jpg