Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MAP exhaust drone

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Installed a MAP cat back a week ago and since day one the drone has been unbearable. The boomiest drone you've ever heard. Especially at 3500 pm. Acceleration or deceleration, it's insane.

So I contact Adam at MAP for any advice. Good guy. He took the time to admit that I was the fourth FiST owner to call about it. He was honest and told me he had no solid answer for me. Gave me the few tips he could and asked that i call back with my findings. He was genuinely concerned with making it right.

So I was installing a Depo IC and piping yesterday. As I got the car up, I noticed a large puddle of water under the rear most exhaust clamp. Odd. I finished with my IC install and turned my attention to the catback. Pulled the 'S' pipe out and both clamps. The clamp b4 the muffler was soaked! When trying to reinstall that clamp, i noticed it was a bit more snug than the other one. So I looked into the pipe and it was slightly oval!

I put it all back together, extra tight and also holding the piping together while clamping to make sure the pipes touch inside the clamp. Let the car run for a minute or two and sure enough, a fast drip starts out of that same clamp. Dammit I have an exhaust leak on a week old system. Barely 200 miles. This explains the maddening drone.

I'll let you guys know what Adam has to say about this.

MS67

That would have to be a HUGE leak to cause a significant drone...usually a leak will make a tapping/fluttering sound. Curious to see how this pans out.

DP03

Yea, I doubt a small leak is causing the drone. I assume you've made sure none of the exhaust is touching any part of the car except the hangers?

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #4
The leak is large enough to leave a footprint sized puddle wherever I park.

I called MAP again today. Adam agreed that small leaks wouldn't necessarily cause a drone. But I have an oval pipe mating with a circular one. He says the misaligned pipes may be the cause. The clamp is unable to seat properly, touching only 2 points of the faulty pipe and not the entire circumference. This could cause a resonance/drone. It's a theory anyway. We'll know for certain if it's the cause of the drone in a few days/weeks. There sending me a replacement pipe section.

MAP has been great so far. At first he wanted me to sent the pipe back but I explained this is my DD and the stock exhaust is cut in half. He promptly transferred me to cust service where Aaron quickly agreed to get a replacement out to me. Let's hope it's days and not weeks before I get it.

I ordered mine memorial day weekend. I'm hoping to have better luck. It sounds like they're working with you though.

I'm curious did you use the stock hangers?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The leak is large enough to leave a footprint sized puddle wherever I park.

I called MAP again today. Adam agreed that small leaks wouldn't necessarily cause a drone. But I have an oval pipe mating with a circular one. He says the misaligned pipes may be the cause. The clamp is unable to seat properly, touching only 2 points of the faulty pipe and not the entire circumference. This could cause a resonance/drone. It's a theory anyway. We'll know for certain if it's the cause of the drone in a few days/weeks. There sending me a replacement pipe section.

MAP has been great so far. At first he wanted me to sent the pipe back but I explained this is my DD and the stock exhaust is cut in half. He promptly transferred me to cust service where Aaron quickly agreed to get a replacement out to me. Let's hope it's days and not weeks before I get it.

Have you been running your A/c? If so it's most likely water from the evaporator after you park it. IMO.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
Not the a/c. I've watched it drip right from the clamp.

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
I ordered mine memorial day weekend. I'm hoping to have better luck. It sounds like they're working with you though.

I'm curious did you use the stock hangers?
No I ordered the Cobb hangers at the same time. Highly recommended. The oem hangers are shit. I pulled them right off with my bare hands.

No I ordered the Cobb hangers at the same time. Highly recommended. The oem hangers are shit. I pulled them right off with my bare hands.
Yeah I ordered, and have them already. Just waiting on the exhaust. Was just trying to cover all the bases regarding your issue.

FistSt215

I'm lucky that mbrp supplies heavy duty urethane hangers with the exhaust and save me 45 bucks on the cobb hangers

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
Tell me you guys see the difference!!

Pic A

Pic B

OP
LilPartyBox

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
Ok so I'm not crazy. Aaron @ MAP is telling me he doesn't see the problem.

Anybody else care to comment? Looks like I may need a few more 'votes' to convince them.