Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anyone tried the GFB DV+

Installed mine about three months ago. Also used a bit of motor oil. I don't notice any hissing or other strange noises.
I'm going to give it 4-6 months and take it off to inspect, clean, and relube. Others have posted that it collects dirt and starts to hang a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
If you don’t lube it it’ll start sticking. If you do lube with engine oil as the manufacturer instructs it’ll slide freely for ~10k miles before clean and lube.

I have been following threads about the GFB DV+ and I wonder if installing one is often a solution in search of a problem. I admit that I have not done a search here, but I follow posts here pretty closely and I don't recall reading about the OEM plastic DV valve being an actual problem for people. There is lots of talk about issues but I wonder how much of that is actually generated by people who have had failures, and how much is generated by concerns that are anecdotal and then spread. There are plenty of posts about issues with the GFB, going beyond the possibility of getting a counterfeit from a source that is not known. Most problems seem to be fixed by cleaning the piston and a light lube periodically. If I ever have a problem I would consider the GFB, or the new (and costly) Turbosmart, but if the problem does not occur for a lot of miles, then why not just use an OEM replacement? Just curious.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I have been following threads about the GFB DV+ and I wonder if installing one is often a solution in search of a problem. I admit that I have not done a search here, but I follow posts here pretty closely and I don't recall reading about the OEM plastic DV valve being an actual problem for people. There is lots of talk about issues but I wonder how much of that is actually generated by people who have had failures, and how much is generated by concerns that are anecdotal and then spread. There are plenty of posts about issues with the GFB, going beyond the possibility of getting a counterfeit from a source that is not known. Most problems seem to be fixed by cleaning the piston and a light lube periodically. If I ever have a problem I would consider the GFB, or the new (and costly) Turbosmart, but if the problem does not occur for a lot of miles, then why not just use an OEM replacement? Just curious.
The stock ones leak boost- the gfb doesn’t make a massive difference, but it’s a noticeable quality of life thing. It affects some cars more than others. On my fiat the stock SB was leaking 4-5 psi at full throttle- dv+ fixed the leak and resolved some part throttle jerkiness. Same on a vw I used one on. I always get a DV+ for my turbo cars just because of the feel improved so much. The stock piston is hard plastic sealing against metal, the dv+ is a brass piston with a silicone skirt - you can *hear* the improved seal in how much more sharply the dv vents boost. If you have a real boost gauge and do a hard freeway pull you can see boost spike up then wiggle as it tapers off- with a dv+ it’ll spike and stay. It’s not a necessary mod, I just prefer the feel and the improvement at part throttle. It’s not a must have, just a preference.

The stock ones leak boost- the gfb doesn’t make a massive difference, but it’s a noticeable quality of life thing. It affects some cars more than others. On my fiat the stock SB was leaking 4-5 psi at full throttle- dv+ fixed the leak and resolved some part throttle jerkiness. Same on a vw I used one on. I always get a DV+ for my turbo cars just because of the feel improved so much. The stock piston is hard plastic sealing against metal, the dv+ is a brass piston with a silicone skirt - you can *hear* the improved seal in how much more sharply the dv vents boost. If you have a real boost gauge and do a hard freeway pull you can see boost spike up then wiggle as it tapers off- with a dv+ it’ll spike and stay. It’s not a necessary mod, I just prefer the feel and the improvement at part throttle. It’s not a must have, just a preference.
Helpful response—thank you. Perhaps I will have to install one.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
My car has only 3800 miles but is Stratified tuned so it definitely pushes the boost up to 26.5 psi... So this looks like one of the best things to do even on a newer car to make sure that I'm getting my full boost consistently? I had an Audi A4 before and these were very popular options as well, so thanks for your input!

zanethan

Couldn't have put it better myself. I will also add that the DV+ helps to reduce spoil time between shifts. 1-2 shifts have become much smoother for me after the install.

Eh, I put about 30k miles on my DV+ before I swapped the turbo. I drowned it in 30 weight oil on assembly. After pulling it apart after the turbo swap, it seemed to be coated in enough lubricant to operate fine.

My BOV was acting funny, and I had a little overboost on throttle lift. I replaced the BOV with the DV+ and prayed it wasn't an electrics issue. Fixed the issue immeadiatly and picked up about 1.5 PSI in the mid-range. No change to "peak" PSI down low, and it was about the same at 7k, but better before 6.5k.

Drown them in motor oil or something on assembly. Never had to touch it, there was enough oil in the intake to lubricate it.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Eh, I put about 30k miles on my DV+ before I swapped the turbo. I drowned it in 30 weight oil on assembly. After pulling it apart after the turbo swap, it seemed to be coated in enough lubricant to operate fine.

My BOV was acting funny, and I had a little overboost on throttle lift. I replaced the BOV with the DV+ and prayed it wasn't an electrics issue. Fixed the issue immeadiatly and picked up about 1.5 PSI in the mid-range. No change to "peak" PSI down low, and it was about the same at 7k, but better before 6.5k.

Drown them in motor oil or something on assembly. Never had to touch it, there was enough oil in the intake to lubricate it.
Lol I’m picturing the nastiest oiliest dv+ of ever. Just a thin coating is fine lol

I have had my DV+ on for almost 2 years. First mod I did with a noticeable performance improvement. I lightly oiled it and have not noticed any change in performance. That being said I do plan on popping it off and cleaning/lubing it soon while i am in there doing some other stuff. Highly recommended [wiggle]

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It’s helped surging on every car I’ve tried it on. I’ve been trying to buy a gfb for months and two different vendors have both sent the wrong part. At this point I’m just going to hold off- I have one dv+ I was sent that is for a fiat 500 that I can’t return and the other vendor sent me a gti gfb. I’ll wait until I can find one in a brick and mortar, I’m out the cost of one gfb already (had it sitting for a while before I could try installing) and had to eat shipping returning the other. Annoyed.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^At that point in expenditure, the boomba or Tial/Turbosmart full recirculating items would have been a better choice. :(

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Yeah I’ve just used gfb on so many cars now that’s where my trust is. Also, they’re *so* easy for dealer techs to miss, Ive never even had someone question the presence of a gfb during service

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yeah I’ve just used gfb on so many cars now that’s where my trust is. Also, they’re *so* easy for dealer techs to miss, Ive never even had someone question the presence of a gfb during service
ABSOLUTELY, as that is the MAIN reason I went with the GFB from Ron over the other choices out there (also because of the 'plug and play' installation with NO; splicing, cutting, routing of tubes/wires, or boost tap adapters [wink]). [thumb]

Has anyone figured out the surging/flutter at low rpms yet? I just took it apart and cleaned again, this time greasing it with Brake Grease and it's still doing the same thing. The red part of the valve almost had a sludge on it, the brass piston was totally dry though

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
well brake grease is way too thick. did you not try motor oil like the instructions specified?

I did, twice. It comes.out dry every time so I went with something that should last. It still moved freely by hand

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk