Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

UPDATED - 2018 Fiesta and Fiesta ST Prototypes Spied

So the same platform, eh. And a larger body and more creature comforts. Correct me if I'm wrong but the new gen will sure be adding on a few pounds. Following the current trend, an ST should be slightly heavier then. Meaning unless they bump up the output this will most likely be less fun to toss around.

So the same platform, eh. And a larger body and more creature comforts. Correct me if I'm wrong but the new gen will sure be adding on a few pounds. Following the current trend, an ST should be slightly heavier then. Meaning unless they bump up the output this will most likely less fun to toss around.
Doesn't have to be heavier if Ford takes a page out of the Mazda book. They added lots more high tensile steel to reduce weight in all areas.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Doesn't have to be heavier if Ford takes a page out of the Mazda book. They added lots more high tensile steel to reduce weight in all areas.

True, great observation. The Madza 2 lost around 30-40 lbs on the base model HB. Isn't alot, but then again it was a different platform. Adding all new sensors and hardware, and possibly new safety designs can negate any benefits.

If the Fiesta and FiST come out equal on weight with a slight bump in power and added tech. I'm in for that

If the Fiesta and FiST come out equal on weight with a slight bump in power and added tech. I'm in for that

[dunno] I am of the mindset that less is better. All Manufactures should do is provide a slot in the dash to install a touchscreen, and hookups/power supplies for our own cameras/tech. 10 years from now Sync 3 will be obsolete and the interface tacky. 4k backup cameras will be 10K. They should focus on budgeting for engineering, not creature comforts. Of course, today, those gimmicks are what sell a car to the majority of the public.

I see where you're going with that, a and it would be really nice, but for it to be profitable, for the manufacturers of the add on components, the entire auto industry would have to follow suit as well as standardize all conecctions. Unless you want a bunch of suction cups and 12v power cord running all over the place.

I like the current model compared to what I am seeing in the spy shots... ours is quirky, like a bull dog with a spotted eye

Last edited:
I see where you're going with that, a and it would be really nice, but for it to be profitable, for the manufacturers of the add on components, the entire auto industry would have to follow suit as well as standardize all conecctions. Unless you want a bunch of suction cups and 12v power cord running all over the place.

Ha, yeah, exactly.

Same thing happened to the Honda Fit, the GD3 from Japan was quirky and loads of fun... but people complained about the stiff suspension, they wanted it to carry more stuff and be larger inside, bla bla bla... and ever since Honda gave into those demands it has just been getting fatter and lazier. Totally dislike the latest version of it looks, and it is a snore to drive compared to the GD3 models.
Great example, though I do believe Ford Engineers working on the ST version will try to keep it to it's roots considering it's a very popular car overseas. There's a interview on Youtube somewhere where an engineer talks of the Fiesta ST project as a fun, pet project almost. Honda does have space packing down on the Fit platform, so there's that.

I think it looks big and chunky compared to the current gen fiesta we will have to wait to see the end results without all the wrapping all over it.

I can't imagine it would gain much weight. A lot of companies are going the Colin Chapman way with cars to meet new emissions standards. I would expect the car to stay the same or lose a few lbs. As far as engines, the 1.0 is a for sure but I could see the FiST getting a 2.0 just to move it up a bit. There is such a huge gap between the focus ST and RS nowt that when those new Foci come out( at the same time as the new Fiesta) I could see the FoST closing the gap with the RS, and leaving room for the the new FiST to get a bump in HP.

The ST will use a tuned version of the 1.5L 3cyl with let's say 197HP to 212HP with Overboost (same power as the ST200), mark my words. I hope at least they keep the weight down.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #34
2018 Ford Fiesta ST Spied: We're Already Stoked

Ford's performance bargain heads for a second round.

Jun 2016 - Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-photos-news

2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-median_100556733_m.jpg

What It Is:
The next-generation version of one of our favorite hot hatches?heck, one of our favorite cars, period?the Ford Fiesta ST. Based on the competent and efficient Fiesta subcompact, the current ST turns up the wick with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, a six-speed manual transmission, and a corner-carving suspension. This prototype Fiesta ST previews the new model, due to replace today?s version for the 2018 model year wearing new sheetmetal and a new interior.

Why It Matters: Ford really doesn?t need to build the Fiesta ST, at least for the U.S., where no other manufacturer offers a properly sporty car in the subcompact B segment. (In Europe, where the Fiesta and Fiesta ST also are sold, there are more competitors.) Still, offering Americans the Fiesta ST is smart. Besides existing in a class by itself, the ST is inexpensive, efficient, and huge fun to drive?perfect for younger, performance-savvy buyers who may lust after a Mustang GT but can?t afford one. Get those buyers into the fold with the Fiesta, and who knows, someday, after climbing the Ford performance ladder?to the Focus ST, Focus RS, Mustang GT, and Shelby Mustang?they might be on a waiting list for a future GT supercar. This is long-term brand building in the form of a cute hatchback. Plus it?s a helluva lot of fun.

Platform: Like its less speedy 2018 Fiesta siblings, the ST will employ an updated version of the current Fiesta?s global B-segment platform. We have few complaints about these bones, as they provide a stiff, refined basis for today?s models. The suspension is pretty spot-on, even in non-ST form. Of course, the whole point of the ST is to elevate performance, and we?d be okay with Ford carrying over the current ST?s chassis untouched; it?s that good. As for the rest of the Fiesta, it?s due for a visual refresh inside and out. These spy photos show that the new ST will adopt the same wider, thinner taillights and new headlights as the regular 2018 Fiesta while getting bespoke front and rear fascias, wheels, and spoilers. Inside, expect nicer materials on the dashboard and door panels and a larger touchscreen with Sync 3 infotainment; there may even be new safety tech like blind-spot monitoring, lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning, as evidenced by the camera array at the top of this Fiesta ST prototype?s windshield.

Powertrain: We anticipate Ford will stay with the same turbocharged 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder from today?s Fiesta ST for the new model, although a displacement bump is possible in order to add power. Even so, more muscle isn?t really necessary, as the little engine produces a mighty 197 horsepower and is smooth and willing. (Non-ST Fiestas likely will continue to offer a naturally aspirated 1.6-liter four and a turbocharged, 1.0-liter three-cylinder EcoBoost.) We anticipate a six-speed manual transmission again will be standard, but there?s an outside possibility that Ford could drum up a sportier, heavier-duty version of the regular Fiesta?s optional six-speed dual-clutch automatic to appeal to a wider swath of buyers. Persistent rumors of a hotter, ST-topping Fiesta RS?possibly with all-wheel drive?are just rumors, and the 2018 Fiesta ST will remain front-wheel drive.

Competition: Fiat 500 Abarth, Mini Cooper S/JCW.

Estimated Arrival and Price: The new Fiesta will debut next year as a 2018 model, with this ST version not far behind. Pricing should stay about the same as it is today, a brilliant value at $22,335.

2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-median_100556734_m.jpg

Someone tried to tell me there was going to be a 2018 RS and when I said that is just a rumor they responded with pictures of a 2016 with that RS body kit. It just won't be happening sadly. Even if it did staying with FWD would really suck, the RS should be AWD. Also how sure is Car and Driver that that is a ST? It could be a SFE, there is no rule stating the test mule needs to use the same side mount.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #36
Fresh-faced 2018 Ford Fiesta spied testing

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/03/...hots/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016#slide-4258722

11/3/2016 - AutoBlog

ford-fiesta-001-1.jpg

ford-fiesta-004-1.jpg

A new batch of spy shots reveals the full face of the upcoming 2018 Ford Fiesta hatchback. The two cars seen in these photos ditch the bulbous covers that hid the front of previously spied test cars. The new Fiesta wears the updated Ford corporate grille, currently seen on the 2017 Ford Fusion.

The Fiestas seen here share slightly different front fascias, with one featuring large opening in the side. Though it's difficult to tell, these could be air inlets or places for optional fog lights. The cars also ditch some of the rear camouflage seen on previous testers, though the wrap makes details difficult to distinguish.

Don't expect the new Fiesta to change much in size, though the new model should feature heavy updates to the interior and available tech. Shoppers are demanding more premium options from smaller vehicles, so expect premium optional features like parking sensors and blind-spot monitoring to be available. Look for the 2018 Ford Fiesta to go on sale sometime next year.

I sure hope those headlights are either placeholders or are at least not intended for the ST as they look like something from a 20 year old car.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It is an econobox SUB-compact after all. I wouldn't expect too much "jewelry" up front. Those wheels on the other hand are a step in the right direction. That character line along the side should look sweet with the ST side skirt. I like the overall look. It might continue to be one of the more aggressively style econoboxes available. I hope that the platform is similar enough that it would allow us to swap parts - like if the brakes are bigger/better kinda thing.

haste

1000 Post Club
I think the front end looks more rally-like than the current gen.

i'm so happy I jumped on the 16 model. I didn't want to chance there not being a 17 and being a hoon machine I didn't want someone's used example :)

As many reviewers say, this will be the car that we all look back on fondly like...damn...that was an awesome car. A modern E30 M3 if you will.