Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

UPDATED - 2018 Fiesta and Fiesta ST Prototypes Spied

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
***Updated: 6/21/2016

2018 Fiesta Base Prototype

ford-fiesta-001-1.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...aign=Feed:+caranddriver/blog+(Car+and+Driver)

Car and Driver - 2018 Ford Fiesta Spied: The Party Continues

6/7/2016

What It Is: A prototype 2018 Ford Fiesta being put through its paces in Europe. Covered in the trendiest eye-straining black-and-white-pattern vinyl in recent memory, the four-door Fiesta subcompact appears to be adopting some edges at the front and rear where the current car features soft curves. Although extensively covered, the fascia looks to feature a smaller grille and headlamps. We appreciate Ford?s addition of inserts under the camo to disguise body contours, particularly the ones on the roof that give it a subtle double-bubble profile. Overall, the car appears to be a touch wider with a slightly lower roofline. Although not visible in these photos, the interior appears, says our photographer, to be made of higher-grade soft-touch materials than those found in the current car.

Why It Matters:
Currently available in the U.S. as either a four-door hatchback or a four-door sedan, the Fiesta represents Ford?s dedication to the subcompact segment. While it may not generate the same kind of stateside profits as the maker?s trucks and SUVs, the Fiesta offers first-time buyers a reasonably priced entry to the brand. More important, without the base Fiesta there is no Fiesta ST, a well-sorted and fun-to-drive car that we expect to return as an updated 2018 model.

Platform: The new Fiesta will ride on the same global B platform that underpins the current car. It?s a capable foundation; employing the current chassis should save some research-and-development expense, money that hopefully will be put toward improving interior quality and adding more tech and convenience content. Outside of North America, this platform also is used for the smaller Ford Ka and the Transit Courier wagon, among other vehicles.

Powertrain:
We don?t expect a lot of changes in this department, save for possibly some mild tuning tweaks. Both the naturally aspirated 1.6-liter four-cylinder and the turbocharged 1.0-liter three-cylinder should return for duty under the Fiesta?s new skin. The ST version likely will return with the turbocharged 1.6-liter four that makes a giddy 197 horsepower and 202 lb-ft of torque.

Estimated Arrival and Price: Expect the 2018 Fiesta to appear in late 2017. The current 2016 model carries a base price of $14,965, and the uptick in materials may add a bit to that number. But it won?t go up by much, as Ford will need to stay close to the current figure if it wants to stay competitive in the segment.

ford-fiesta-009-1.jpg

[HR][/HR]

2018 Fiesta ST Prototype

Car and Driver - Ford Fiesta ST Spied: Ford's performance bargain heads for a second round.

6/16/2016

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-photos-news

View attachment 10488

What It Is:
The next-generation version of one of our favorite hot hatches?heck, one of our favorite cars, period?the Ford Fiesta ST. Based on the competent and efficient Fiesta subcompact, the current ST turns up the wick with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, a six-speed manual transmission, and a corner-carving suspension. This prototype Fiesta ST previews the new model, due to replace today?s version for the 2018 model year wearing new sheetmetal and a new interior.

Why It Matters: Ford really doesn?t need to build the Fiesta ST, at least for the U.S., where no other manufacturer offers a properly sporty car in the subcompact B segment. (In Europe, where the Fiesta and Fiesta ST also are sold, there are more competitors.) Still, offering Americans the Fiesta ST is smart. Besides existing in a class by itself, the ST is inexpensive, efficient, and huge fun to drive?perfect for younger, performance-savvy buyers who may lust after a Mustang GT but can?t afford one. Get those buyers into the fold with the Fiesta, and who knows, someday, after climbing the Ford performance ladder?to the Focus ST, Focus RS, Mustang GT, and Shelby Mustang?they might be on a waiting list for a future GT supercar. This is long-term brand building in the form of a cute hatchback. Plus it?s a helluva lot of fun.

Platform: Like its less speedy 2018 Fiesta siblings, the ST will employ an updated version of the current Fiesta?s global B-segment platform. We have few complaints about these bones, as they provide a stiff, refined basis for today?s models. The suspension is pretty spot-on, even in non-ST form. Of course, the whole point of the ST is to elevate performance, and we?d be okay with Ford carrying over the current ST?s chassis untouched; it?s that good. As for the rest of the Fiesta, it?s due for a visual refresh inside and out. These spy photos show that the new ST will adopt the same wider, thinner taillights and new headlights as the regular 2018 Fiesta while getting bespoke front and rear fascias, wheels, and spoilers. Inside, expect nicer materials on the dashboard and door panels and a larger touchscreen with Sync 3 infotainment; there may even be new safety tech like blind-spot monitoring, lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning, as evidenced by the camera array at the top of this Fiesta ST prototype?s windshield.

Powertrain: We anticipate Ford will stay with the same turbocharged 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder from today?s Fiesta ST for the new model, although a displacement bump is possible in order to add power. Even so, more muscle isn?t really necessary, as the little engine produces a mighty 197 horsepower and is smooth and willing. (Non-ST Fiestas likely will continue to offer a naturally aspirated 1.6-liter four and a turbocharged, 1.0-liter three-cylinder EcoBoost.) We anticipate a six-speed manual transmission again will be standard, but there?s an outside possibility that Ford could drum up a sportier, heavier-duty version of the regular Fiesta?s optional six-speed dual-clutch automatic to appeal to a wider swath of buyers. Persistent rumors of a hotter, ST-topping Fiesta RS?possibly with all-wheel drive?are just rumors, and the 2018 Fiesta ST will remain front-wheel drive.

Competition: Fiat 500 Abarth, Mini Cooper S/JCW.

Estimated Arrival and Price: The new Fiesta will debut next year as a 2018 model, with this ST version not far behind. Pricing should stay about the same as it is today, a brilliant value at $22,335.

View attachment 10489

Looks a bit bigger around the middle/back. The rear wiper moved to the glass so a delete for that would be super easy. Wish I had that on my 16. Looking at the front windsheild, there are a bunch of sensors up by the rear view mirror. Must be getting auto wipers and maybe some sort of auto stop feature.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I like the look but more interested in a possible next gen ST and what it might have under the hood and how much it weighs

I can't imagine it would gain much weight. A lot of companies are going the Colin Chapman way with cars to meet new emissions standards. I would expect the car to stay the same or lose a few lbs. As far as engines, the 1.0 is a for sure but I could see the FiST getting a 2.0 just to move it up a bit. There is such a huge gap between the focus ST and RS nowt that when those new Foci come out( at the same time as the new Fiesta) I could see the FoST closing the gap with the RS, and leaving room for the the new FiST to get a bump in HP.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I reserve final judgement until the camo comes off but I think our body style is more sporty/aggressive. Looks like it will still have the hard-to-find-wheels-for lug pattern. ST wheels will be standard :p

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I reserve final judgement until the camo comes off but I think our body style is more sporty/aggressive. Looks like it will still have the hard-to-find-wheels-for lug pattern. ST wheels will be standard :p
That was the first thing I noticed too.

Doesn't look like it got any bigger in size either.

Still just a mule though. Has a whole year to change.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I is supposed to built on a "C" platform, so that means it should be as big as a Focus.

Dave

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #10
I'm kind of liking the sharper angles and details...particularly noticeable in the rear...looks less like an egg than the current FiST does....

ford-fiesta-008-1.jpg

ford-fiesta-014-1.jpg

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
I will reserve judgement till I see an uncladded/non camo version. It does look more upright than our version. Looks a little stiff to me. Reminds me of a BMW X1.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wow ur right it does from some angles. This might not look half bad.

Hope we finally get projector headlamps. They can be halogen, just have a place to stick an HID kit!

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Rear bumper is UGLY, UGLY, UGLY, I hope that is just to confuse us for now.

I think a bit more sharp edges and angles done right could improve upon and modernize the current shape but I would not mess with it to much, many new cars are getting very iffy in the looks to be a bit "edgy", eye catching, etc but still most are mundane cars to drive except a few but nearly all of those are way to big, heavy, expensive...they might be fast but not nimble, which is far more fun more of the time:)

Looks like a Mitsubishi Outlander. I don't know why Ford keeps shrinking their Maserati/catfish grilles... I think they look sweet! Is it just me or do the new FoST's have a much smaller front grille while the non-ST models have a larger grill? The RS front end looks awesome so I guess all is still well in the world.

Rear bumper is UGLY, UGLY, UGLY, I hope that is just to confuse us for now.
Just so we cant see what the real bumper looks like. It probably doesn't even have a final design yet. They just throw on a plastic cover over it with a bunch of weird angles and shapes. Like the side and top of the car. If Ford actually put those bumps on the final product it would look like a turd. Just to throw you off from the actual body shape until they officially release it.

Looks like a Mitsubishi Outlander. I don't know why Ford keeps shrinking their Maserati/catfish grilles... I think they look sweet! Is it just me or do the new FoST's have a much smaller front grille while the non-ST models have a larger grill? The RS front end looks awesome so I guess all is still well in the world.
'15-'16 Focus ST grille is slightly smaller than the '13-'14 Focus ST grille, but the '15-'16 regular Focus grille is smaller than the ST.

'13-'14 ST

'15-'16 ST

'15-'16 regular Focus

Although still too early to tell much, this is a real head scratcher....Fiesta will get a bit larger but the displacement and power may still remain the same?