Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gearshift Cable Adjustment - Vehicles With: 6-Speed Manual Transmission - B6

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Gearshift Cable Adjustment - Vehicles With: 6-Speed Manual Transmission - B6

Refer to: Air Cleaner Outlet Pipe (303-12B Intake Air Distribution and Filtering - 1.6L EcoBoost (132kW/180PS) - Sigma, Removal and Installation).

NOTE: Move the gearshift select cable back and forth to verify free motion

NOTE: By placing the gearshift lever into the 4th gear position, it locks the small lever into the N position.

Refer to: Air Cleaner Outlet Pipe (303-12B Intake Air Distribution and Filtering - 1.6L EcoBoost (132kW/180PS) - Sigma, Removal and Installation).

NOTE you must remove the Air intake pipe to access this part of the car it is on top ot the transmission between the battery and engine

I went a little overboard as I was pulling the gear selector out in the two pictures above as I took the battery and battery holder with ECU attached out of car as well as taking the air tube and complete air box out. You may not need to be this complete to access the shifter cable ends to adjust. If you don't feel you can do this PLEASE don't take it to a qualified Mech or Ford garage..
TAKE CARE WHEN RELEASING THE CLIP ON THE CABLE DO NOT FORCE IT AS IT IS ONLY PLASTIC.

I'm a little confused,why should we need to adjust the cable? What should we notice is happening for us to decide to do this. Thanks for the head up.

Accord to the directions I'm seeing it like this
1) put in Neutral
2) parking brake applied
3) remove clip,make sure cable moves freely
4) put into 4th gear
5) push clip back into place.
(All this with intake off of course)

Sound right?

-ry

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Yup sounds right I had to do this after I took my gear selector out as I released the clip and let the cable move about while playing with my short shifter update a while back.. had to rework the product till the MFG came out with a fix.. If you are not getting all gears and want to try this otherwise there really is no need to do this.. :) Just more info for the DIY crowd..

XuperXero

I grind 5th a few times already... Not sure if my arm's too short or gear adjustment problem. Should I attempt this?

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I grind into 2nd sometime just cuz I get lazy and sloppy so I need to make sure every shift complete . I would not bother with this unless you are getting a grind most every time.. Just my thoughts

XuperXero

Just did this today... Guess what? Us 3dr owners do not have this clip. Another NA vs Euro difference. I see no adjustment methods at all...

The end link is completely different design.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Just did this today... Guess what? Us 3dr owners do not have this clip. Another NA vs Euro difference. I see no adjustment methods at all...

The end link is completely different design.
Mine has the removable clip, you must have got the Chinese version. Do you have a 5 speed or 6 speed gearbox, lol.

XuperXero

Mine has the removable clip, you must have got the Chinese version. Do you have a 5 speed or 6 speed gearbox, lol.
WHATTTTTT... no fair...

I'm just happy that your MT SS kit works fine.

So I've been having some resistance shifting into all gears. I took a look at the cable and found this.

I had the boomba shift adapter on so the cable was sitting higher. I assume the interference is coming from above. Would this adjustment help?

OP
R

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
My guess is not really you will need to see if you can move the stuff out of the way and keep it out of the way via cable or wire ties ..

My guess is not really you will need to see if you can move the stuff out of the way and keep it out of the way via cable or wire ties ..
Thanks that's kind of what I figured. The weird thing is I can't really pinpoint the interference. There are scratch marks all around that shift cable but when run through the gears I didn't see anything.

Thanks that's kind of what I figured. The weird thing is I can't really pinpoint the interference. There are scratch marks all around that shift cable but when run through the gears I didn't see anything.
Just out of curiosity do you have an aftermarket RMM(roll resistor, ie wtf ever people are calling it now) installed?

So I've been having some resistance shifting into all gears. I took a look at the cable and found this.

I had the boomba shift adapter on so the cable was sitting higher. I assume the interference is coming from above. Would this adjustment help?
Any luck smoothing out the shifts? I am stumped with the same issue.

Chris G

I would be more curious if he solved that grinding / rubbing issue. I just installed a Boomba adapter and don't want the same thing to happen to me!

I would be more curious if he solved that grinding / rubbing issue. I just installed a Boomba adapter and don't want the same thing to happen to me!
I haven't been able to do this yet. I have a theory the block heater cable has been falling on it.

It has to be something I couldn't replicate last time I had the intake off.

The scoring suggests metal on metal. That is a strange one because I don't see anything in the immediate vicinity.