Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Android Auto finally here?

Spaceman_Spiff

2016. got it used almost two weeks ago (11/18).

Have you checked to make sure that your Sync has the latest update? Just need to get it on wifi to do it but you can check to see your Sync Version Update without the network connection
I've set it up to connect to the wifi at home, it's supposed to be getting updates. I haven't checked it lately, tho. How can I tell if AA is working on Sync? From what I've read, I have to enable it in Sync Settings, so I'll assume if there isn't any setting it's not working...

2016. got it used almost two weeks ago (11/18).

Have you checked to make sure that your Sync has the latest update? Just need to get it on wifi to do it but you can check to see your Sync Version Update without the network connection
What version of SYNC does your car show?

What version of SYNC does your car show?
Mine says V1.0 too. (Updated 12/15/15)

I connect my Android to Bluetooth and the apps pop up after I gave it initial approval- Spotify - MLB - Dominos (im not sure how I would even use this. i rarely need pizza while driving)

Could it be compatibility with phones? Mine worked with Samsung S6 Edge+ and my Wife's Google Pixel XL.

Bluedrank

Mine says V1.0 too. (Updated 12/15/15)

I connect my Android to Bluetooth and the apps pop up after I gave it initial approval- Spotify - MLB - Dominos (im not sure how I would even use this. i rarely need pizza while driving)

Could it be compatibility with phones? Mine worked with Samsung S6 Edge+ and my Wife's Google Pixel XL.
I don't think you understand what we're talking about.

What you're describing is applink-compatible apps linking up to your car. This limited functionality came from the factory on all '16 Sync 3 cars. What we're talking about is the new Sync 3 update that allows the full Android Auto or Apple CarPlay interface to be usable on our dashboard. These are two completely different concepts, and the update for '16 model cars is not out yet. So you don't have it

False alarm guys, he just didn't know. The update is still not out, don't hold your breath either. A guy on reddit that supposedly works at Ford was saying "January-ish".

I don't think you understand what we're talking about.

What you're describing is applink-compatible apps linking up to your car. This limited functionality came from the factory on all '16 Sync 3 cars. What we're talking about is the new Sync 3 update that allows the full Android Auto or Apple CarPlay interface to be usable on our dashboard. These are two completely different concepts, and the update for '16 model cars is not out yet. So you don't have it

False alarm guys, he just didn't know. The update is still not out, don't hold your breath either. A guy on reddit that supposedly works at Ford was saying "January-ish".
I just talked to one of my Android Developers here at work and they showed me how Android Auto works in his Vette. And yep, I was waaaay off. Apologies!

samsonite.jpg

You Jerk!!!! You gave me hope! (I kid, I kid)

No worries man. Simple misunderstandings happen. I was a bit baffled. I checked with the Ford owner's site, no luck. Tried letting my car hunt down the update, no luck. Even asked my neighbor who manages the Ford dealership I bought my car from. No luck. Then it occurred to me... New owner might not know what we're grumbling about. It's all good!

For what it's worth, after a little digging on the F-150 and Edge sites, they're already outsmarting Ford. The replacement USB hub for Lincolns are out already, and oddly enough, it's a perfect fit for it's Ford brothers. We're kind of screwed with our Fiesta's because I doubt pilfering the Lincoln updates will work with our dumbed down infotainment systems for the Fiesta, but at least we know it works. We're just the low margin nobodies that Ford doesn't care about, so we're last in line. And... the needed hardware for the Apple folks is only about 70 bucks, and very easy swap, so no need for dealers.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #69
To make things even more interesting, I just spoke with "Kavi" on the Ford Sync chat and she stated the update will be available before the end of the year. I asked if she had an exact date but didn't know. She was able to share that it will be available by download for USB sticks and OTA WiFi.

She said keep an eye out on social media for the announcement or to keep checking the Ford Owner site. Maybe [MENTION=2474]FordIVTteam[/MENTION] can chime in.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
If you're using Android Auto, is your phone using data the whole time you're driving just because you have it, or does it just use data if you use a phone app like maps that uses data for the limited time you're using the data-using app? I ask because I am on a limited data plan because I generally don't use much, and if it's using data from the phone the whole time I'm driving, that would cause me not to use Android Auto.

If you're using Android Auto, is your phone using data the whole time you're driving just because you have it, or does it just use data if you use a phone app like maps that uses data for the limited time you're using the data-using app? I ask because I am on a limited data plan because I generally don't use much, and if it's using data from the phone the whole time I'm driving, that would cause me not to use Android Auto.
Not unless your streaming something on Pandora, or another similar app. So no.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #76
Tried it, it works!

Looks like nav/google maps works well as expected, but I haven't found a way to get Torque on the screen yet...

fiesta sync 3 v2.2.jpg

Tried it, it works!

Looks like nav/google maps works well as expected, but I haven't found a way to get Torque on the screen yet...

View attachment 12619
Unfortunately you can't. It isn't a supported app. I think Google has to give the developer permission to the API at this point.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

^ Sounds like a good project for a dev type person. I'm sure there's someone on here up to the task.... There has to be a back-door work-around, or application process...

Works fine for me, I love having Gmaps back as navigation. Traffic, and far more accurate/up to date. Half the time the stock nav can't find the address I'm looking for, and I can talk to Google like a human.