Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ravenol MTF-2 fluid change

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
YES, that it!

Thanks for that, as that is what I am going to try next, once I change out the Gear 300. [thumb]
It's even a little over HALF the price of the Motul gear oil as well. ;)
over $3 per liter less than the mtf-2 [dunno]

A7xogg

YES, that it!

Thanks for that, as I plan on trying it next, once I change out the Gear 300. [thumb]
It's even a little over HALF the price of the Motul gear oil as well. ;)

Ravenol also makes a slightly thinner than most 5W-30s (but still thicker than almost all of the 5W-20s out there), FULL SYNTHETIC PAO based, motor oil I want to try in the summer, their DXG 5W-30.
It has a REALLY LOW NOACK volatility number, while maintaining a decent TBN, and a formulation purposely geared towards preventing LSPI events. [:)]
Not to get off topic, but I'm 95% sure my local euro dealer just switched to this oil. Gonna go by and see if they did and try some out if they do

OP
G
Thread Starter #23
Hi gettingoldercarguy, any 1 or 2 year reviews on the Ravenol fluid? Have you done any Blackstone Used Oil analyses on the oil?
Ravynx, unfortunately not. I sold the car last december as my wife I had twins and I couldn't fit them both in the back and still squeeze in. The ravenol was perfect up until I sold the car. I tried Amsoil for a bit, but didn't like the shift feel , so I switched back. I have a 2017 wrx now and am running Amsoil 75w110 in the trans and the diffs, nut may try the ravenol 75w110 as I really like the shift quality with their fluids last time. The rli oils have consistently been awesome on uoa.

Ravynx, unfortunately not. I sold the car last december as my wife I had twins and I couldn't fit them both in the back and still squeeze in. The ravenol was perfect up until I sold the car. I tried Amsoil for a bit, but didn't like the shift feel , so I switched back. I have a 2017 wrx now and am running Amsoil 75w110 in the trans and the diffs, nut may try the ravenol 75w110 as I really like the shift quality with their fluids last time. The rli oils have consistently been awesome on uoa.
Ah no worries, bud. I know the feeling, our kids are growing quickly and we thought about getting rid of the FiST for a 4Runner for more space; that plan got set aside for now and we're just working with what we have. I run Amsoil in my S2000 and was bummed to see they don't have any fluid that meets Ford's specs. We're nearing 55k miles so it's due for a transaxle fluid change; just the thought of $10 more per quart for Ford fluid is off-putting but this is every 4'ish years for us. Decisions...

OP
G
Thread Starter #27
I like amsoil stuff a lot. SCG specifies Ravenol for their cars and it's highly regarded in the stle world.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So overall do we want to use GL-4 or GL-5 and straight 75w or 75w-90? Or is it a brand specific thing? Just want the smoothest possible day to day shifting performance, not happy with factory fill, even at only 5k miles.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
+1 on the ravenol 75W fluid. More smooth than the motul 300, and it even... smells good? If that's even a thing
I've tried the Ravenol and Motul Gear 300 back to back now(in the past couple months) and will say the Ravenol does seem slightly smoother between shifts

It's a crapshoot some of the time. Ha. Whatever the oil, a 20k service interval seems to take care of any shift feel concerns I have on this platform. #runningLikeNew

It's a crapshoot some of the time. Ha. Whatever the oil, a 20k service interval seems to take care of any shift feel concerns I have on this platform. #runningLikeNew
100% agree, I think old fluid has a lot to do with shifting issues. Changed mine when i did axle seals, with stock ford fluid and the shifts are way smoother with new MTF.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^OF COURSE, just think about the mechanical SHEAR going on in a 6 speed transaxle which shares it's fluid with the final drive ring and pinion!! [crazyeye]

I won't even wait that (20K miles) long, and will probably dump the Gear 300 in there (since ~1500 miles from brand new) and I am now at ~9300 miles, before the winter, like I planned on doing (since everyone is raving how much better the Ravenol MTF shifts, and I have it sitting in the basement already), which will be BEFORE even 11K miles. ;)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So even in the ST specific owners manual addendum it calls for the Motorcraft DCT fluid... Does this mean we can try Ravenol DCT fluid? There is also MTX-1, 2, and 3 how are we supposed to know what to REALLY use?

Edit: Found the answer to my own question: Fluid should meet spec: WSS-M2C200-D2, which a search for shows the Ford DCT fluid and the Ravenol MTX-2 and 3 meets... I think I will try the MTX-3, which is a straight 75w.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ravenol themselves recommend their MTF-2 for our IB6 Getrags, for most conditions, year 'round.

IF in a REALLY cold climate, or one where it never gets too torrid in the summer (or for those who just INSIST on staying the absolute closest to the Motorcraft DCT's viscosity), their MTF-3 would be great. ;)

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Bump...
Does anyone know the difference between Ravenol MTF-2 and MTF-3?
Why the price difference?
The only diff I see is the viscosity. 75-80 vs. straight 75. Either would be fine where you are. The north is heating up rapidly.