Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Adjustable Ride Height Reference Points

Hey gang, I'm adjusting my ride height for the 3rd time in a week, post coilover install. Where is the best reference points for measuring? Wheel well? Pinch weld seam?

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Miata guys will measure from the center of the wheel hub to the top of the fender. Worked pretty well for me when I had coilovers on my 1999 NB Miata.

If you're just trying to reference, to make sure the drop is even all around, any spot will do as long as it's the same spot on both sides. Or you can just take it to a shop. Tell them how much drop you want and get it corner balanced with you inside if you can.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The only true reference points one can use unless running the same exact setup as somebody that has already done it then OK to use fender gaps, pinch welds, etc...will be inner and outer suspension pick up points, AKA, ball joint center on the outside, middle of pivot point on the inside of the control arms. the inner has to be at least a little above the outside or you will induce serious roll center issues which will put nearly all the weight on the outside tires.

If you are just wanting to make the car look like it is fast extra lowering does that, if you want it actually be fast then you cannot lower this car to much or it will hugely effect the handling.

I have been making cars handle better for 48 years now and to low is never the way to go and it causes other issues as well and still learn new things all the time, as we all should:)

[MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] in your experience, what is the sweet spot of this car and what's the safest amount of drop without sacrificing handling?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

OP
eleven
Thread Starter #7
I'm high enough. No where near my bumpstops. All is well. I've done this enough on Miatas. I was just curious on the Fiesta. Thank you all.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Nearness to the bump stops on a Miata and this car could be quite different in what is acceptable.

To determine the best drop that enhances and not detracts from handling requires a bit more info, one is tire diameter.

On 225/45/15 Rival S on 9" wide wheels, as well as my RA1 race tires which are a bit shorter, the inner mount center of rotation is slightly higher than the middle of the ball joints which is close to perfect just as it was with the 24....whatever I forgot now diameter 205/45/17 Mich PS-3 AS tires I had for a bit which raised the car quite a bit yet filled the fender gap better. Suspension still optimized but the higher ride height effects the weight transfer quite a bit.

Note: I would have to cut apart the ball joints to get an exact center but with looking very carefully at them and having physically moved them in my hands I am sure I am very close, close enough, the car drives like it:)

The Rival S in stock tread depth is listed as being 23.1" in diameter but sitting on 9" wheels which gives me an effective close to .5" more tread width measure unloaded at street air pressures at 25.5", same specs and end results as the RA1 track tires in the same size and when on the ground will be smaller in actual diameter when driving and get smaller yet as they wear.

All that said up front I have a 1" gap from top of tire to fender opening, which have been rolled and pulled quite a bit so might not be the same stock now. It might not look as fast as tucked but handles immensely better when overly lowered, to me a different first letter would be appropriate to use
describing it, starting with an "."

Siestarider

I am resurrecting this thread because it was first one up in search for "ride height".

I propose using ground to inner fender peak as reference for ride height. First, we assume stock fenders, wheels and tires. Then we get stock front and rear ride heights everyone can use with their own wheel/tire adjustment factor if not stock.

That said, I totally forgot where I wrote my stock measurements down. Yes, doofus at work here.

My current measurements on Meister coils are 23.75" F and 24" rear with stock wheel/tire diameter (tires about half worn).

Anyone want to report stock heights?

Or how about lowest you can go and still follow Rick's advice of not lowering roll center below the car?

Volkswagen/Audi guys measure FTG (fender to ground).

As mentioned though, the FTG values alone are not necessarily comparable with others who have different wheel and tire sizes. I suppose you can take FTG and then subtract HTG (hub to ground) and that should get you the number you are really looking for, regardless of tire and wheel size.

Siestarider

I like fender to ground because its easy to read to 1/16" on a tape measure. Ground to hub probably more like 1/8" plus or minus unless wheels have no caps.

I hope someone will post stock dimensions as I still cannot find mine.

MeisterR

Vendor
Just to say to use the centre of wheel to edge of fender method, because it takes out the variation of the tire thickness.
That is the reason we measure ride height that way.

Jerrick