Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Talk to me about paint maintenance around the stripes

I am wanting to clay bar, polish and wax my brand new MO, but it has the vinyl stripe (and I actually like it) and I am not sure what I need to be careful of. Should I go so far as to use masking tape to keep it protected? Never had a car with vinyl on it before.

I am wanting to clay bar, polish and wax my brand new MO, but it has the vinyl stripe (and I actually like it) and I am not sure what I need to be careful of. Should I go so far as to use masking tape to keep it protected? Never had a car with vinyl on it before.
I came across the same issue. Wash everything with a wash that does not contain wax. Rinse n' dry. I brought Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer which I leave on the stripe while I clay and polish the actual paint, as to let it sink in. Careful around edges and in between the stripes, work in the direction of the stripe. Wipe off excess. Then I use a plastic-safe sealant on the whole car and stripes. Then very important, unless you're using a plastic safe wax which won't have cleaners (which will strip the dye out), don't wax the stripes. The dressing and sealant is enough to keep it's shine for about a month here in the Florida sun. I wouldn't use tape to mask it, just be careful you should be fine. Tape can get wet and then the glue residue penetrate the plastic which will cause more damage than anything else.

I would use Turtlewax Ice spray wax on vinyl stripes. This product won't leave white marks.