Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Overheating Issues in Daily Driving Conditions

airjor13

2000 Post Club
I think going big turbo really helped the car run cooler overall by not being in boost all the time, last week, the temp showing 105* outside but felt like a million lol, the car creeping along in traffic never went past 220* with A/C on, as soon as it started to move, it went down to 205ish. The highest I have ever seen the coolant temp on the AP was 231*

Zormecteon

I just drove from Southwest Washington to Sacramento California and back. On the return trip driving up over the Siskiyou Pass averaging about 70 mph. The ambient temperature was showing as 94 degrees. The AP showed and intake of 106F, with a water temp of 226F peak. The dash display never went above 4 bars--normal--. I would have to say no overheating issues with this particular auto.

YMMV

My 2?

OP
SloCal
Thread Starter #44
Just thought i'd update this thread with my experiences.

Another summer another round of overheating. exact same conditions. Every day home on the 101 in stop and go with AC on car is just toast. Coolant climbs rapidly and is at 240 before i know it. back to the dealer who again can't replicate it. TOld them to put it in traffic but they only do it in the middle of the day when the 101/405 is not busy.

Can't drive this car in the canyons anymore and can't track it so it's honestly pretty terrible dealing with a lowered ST just to drive it back and forth to work everyday. About to pick it up again later and then overheat it on the way home. Almost comical at this point.

Last time i left the dealer I spoke to two service reps who explicitly stated that "245 degrees coolant is perfectly normal we see that all the time" Said they see that all the time with mustangs and other Ford cars which i called bullshit on but alas no one bothered to check Ford's guidelines.

I seriously cannot stand the lack of knowledge at these dealerships. No one will pull the radiator until they can replicate the issue and no one seems to be able to replicate it. Maybe if i just keep overheating it every single day chilling on the side of the highway I'll have enough overheating codes to win the argument next time I'm at the dealership. because currently everytime it goes up i turn on the heater and open windows to cool it off which is frankly pretty shitty in the socal 100 degree heat on my commute everyday.

Another summer another round of overheating. exact same conditions. Every day home on the 101 in stop and go with AC on car is just toast. Coolant climbs rapidly and is at 240 before i know it. back to the dealer who again can't replicate it. TOld them to put it in traffic but they only do it in the middle of the day when the 101/405 is not busy.

Can't drive this car in the canyons anymore and can't track it so it's honestly pretty terrible dealing with a lowered ST just to drive it back and forth to work everyday. About to pick it up again later and then overheat it on the way home. Almost comical at this point.

Last time i left the dealer I spoke to two service reps who explicitly stated that "245 degrees coolant is perfectly normal we see that all the time" Said they see that all the time with mustangs and other Ford cars which i called bullshit on but alas no one bothered to check Ford's guidelines.

I seriously cannot stand the lack of knowledge at these dealerships. No one will pull the radiator until they can replicate the issue and no one seems to be able to replicate it. Maybe if i just keep overheating it every single day chilling on the side of the highway I'll have enough overheating codes to win the argument next time I'm at the dealership. because currently everytime it goes up i turn on the heater and open windows to cool it off which is frankly pretty shitty in the socal 100 degree heat on my commute everyday.
It might be a good idea to take video of the overheating event and show it to the Dealership. I think i read in another post that you are on a lease so upgrading the radiator would not be an option. Anyway, good luck in your dealings with them and hopefully it gets sorted out.

Yikes sorry about your problems.

I put this in another over heating thread last week but seems appropriate here too.

I'm out in the IE btw so we see temps in the high 90's and above in summer.

All readings take with A/C on

Sorry for the long post.

--

Gonna post some numbers for reference.
2016 - 17,000 miles - bone stock.

Readings taken with BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices and the free Torque app.

Just started car. Temp gauge is at 4 bars, which means it has a range from at least 129 f to 219 f, a 90 degree range. Thanks for nothing.

10 minutes on the freeway at 70+, taken in motion

Off freeway, about 1 mile of stop and go, taken right when I stopped at my destination which was a feed store with asphalt lot.

At this point I let the car idle with A/C on in the lot and started taking readings at 5 minute intervals.

5 minutes idling

10 minutes idling

15 minutes idling

Heading home, 10 minutes at 70+, taken in motion.

In my case the stock cooling package seems fine. The intake temps sure rise in a hurry.

The highest temp I have seen is 219. That was parked with the A/C off and holding a steady 2,500 rpm.

As you can see the stock duty cycle for the fan is awful. Any temps under 230 and the fan is only running at 30%.

With the A/C on and thus fan at 100% the highest I have seen is 214.

hth

I don't know if you have tried yet, or not, but I would find the Regional Ford phone number, dial it, and talk directly to them until they agree to do something about it. Clearly the dealerships are going to do nothing. Go up the chain.

OP
SloCal
Thread Starter #48
Yikes sorry about your problems.

I put this in another over heating thread last week but seems appropriate here too.

I'm out in the IE btw so we see temps in the high 90's and above in summer.

All readings take with A/C on

Sorry for the long post.

--

Gonna post some numbers for reference.
2016 - 17,000 miles - bone stock.

Readings taken with BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices and the free Torque app.

Just started car. Temp gauge is at 4 bars, which means it has a range from at least 129 f to 219 f, a 90 degree range. Thanks for nothing.

10 minutes on the freeway at 70+, taken in motion

Off freeway, about 1 mile of stop and go, taken right when I stopped at my destination which was a feed store with asphalt lot.

At this point I let the car idle with A/C on in the lot and started taking readings at 5 minute intervals.

5 minutes idling

10 minutes idling

15 minutes idling

Heading home, 10 minutes at 70+, taken in motion.

In my case the stock cooling package seems fine. The intake temps sure rise in a hurry.

The highest temp I have seen is 219. That was parked with the A/C off and holding a steady 2,500 rpm.

As you can see the stock duty cycle for the fan is awful. Any temps under 230 and the fan is only running at 30%.

With the A/C on and thus fan at 100% the highest I have seen is 214.

hth
Wow this is extremely informative. Usually here in LA with temps around 103-110 my iAT is like 120 or so but my coolant would be like 245 easily. That's crazy that yours is so low. I mean its just ridiculous at this point. THey're claiming all ford engines get up to 240-250 when it's hot out. They claim unless I can get it to overheat and somehow make it to the dealership 15 miles from my house that they can't fix it since they themselves cannot replicate it. At a loss for now.

JasonHaven

95+ and humidity in DC, I don't always have my Accessport hooked up, but when I do, I see ranges between 195 and 205... I'm not an expert, but 245 seems outside of normal range... try a different dealer?