Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2018 Next-Gen Ford Fiesta ST Spied

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
2018 Ford Fiesta ST Prototype

6/21/2016

http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-next-gen-ford-fiesta-st-prototype/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/06/ford-fiesta-st-spied-lurking-near-the-nurburgring.html

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1027182_2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots#image=100556735

[HR][/HR]
Ford's performance bargain heads for a second round.

6/21/2016 - Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-photos-news

2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-median_100556733_m.jpg

What It Is: The next-generation version of one of our favorite hot hatches?heck, one of our favorite cars, period?the Ford Fiesta ST. Based on the competent and efficient Fiesta subcompact, the current ST turns up the wick with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, a six-speed manual transmission, and a corner-carving suspension. This prototype Fiesta ST previews the new model, due to replace today?s version for the 2018 model year wearing new sheetmetal and a new interior.

Why It Matters: Ford really doesn?t need to build the Fiesta ST, at least for the U.S., where no other manufacturer offers a properly sporty car in the subcompact B segment. (In Europe, where the Fiesta and Fiesta ST also are sold, there are more competitors.) Still, offering Americans the Fiesta ST is smart. Besides existing in a class by itself, the ST is inexpensive, efficient, and huge fun to drive?perfect for younger, performance-savvy buyers who may lust after a Mustang GT but can?t afford one. Get those buyers into the fold with the Fiesta, and who knows, someday, after climbing the Ford performance ladder?to the Focus ST, Focus RS, Mustang GT, and Shelby Mustang?they might be on a waiting list for a future GT supercar. This is long-term brand building in the form of a cute hatchback. Plus it?s a helluva lot of fun.

Platform: Like its less speedy 2018 Fiesta siblings, the ST will employ an updated version of the current Fiesta?s global B-segment platform. We have few complaints about these bones, as they provide a stiff, refined basis for today?s models. The suspension is pretty spot-on, even in non-ST form. Of course, the whole point of the ST is to elevate performance, and we?d be okay with Ford carrying over the current ST?s chassis untouched; it?s that good. As for the rest of the Fiesta, it?s due for a visual refresh inside and out. These spy photos show that the new ST will adopt the same wider, thinner taillights and new headlights as the regular 2018 Fiesta while getting bespoke front and rear fascias, wheels, and spoilers. Inside, expect nicer materials on the dashboard and door panels and a larger touchscreen with Sync 3 infotainment; there may even be new safety tech like blind-spot monitoring, lane-departure warning, and forward-collision warning, as evidenced by the camera array at the top of this Fiesta ST prototype?s windshield.

Powertrain: We anticipate Ford will stay with the same turbocharged 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder from today?s Fiesta ST for the new model, although a displacement bump is possible in order to add power. Even so, more muscle isn?t really necessary, as the little engine produces a mighty 197 horsepower and is smooth and willing. (Non-ST Fiestas likely will continue to offer a naturally aspirated 1.6-liter four and a turbocharged, 1.0-liter three-cylinder EcoBoost.) We anticipate a six-speed manual transmission again will be standard, but there?s an outside possibility that Ford could drum up a sportier, heavier-duty version of the regular Fiesta?s optional six-speed dual-clutch automatic to appeal to a wider swath of buyers.

Competition: Fiat 500 Abarth, Mini Cooper S/JCW.

Estimated Arrival and Price: The new Fiesta will debut next year as a 2018 model, with this ST version not far behind. Pricing should stay about the same as it is today, a brilliant value at $22,335.

2018-ford-fiesta-st-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-median_100556734_m.jpg

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #2
Next-Gen Ford Fiesta ST Spied Lurking Near the Nurburgring

Jun 21, 2016 - AutoGuide

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/06/ford-fiesta-st-spied-lurking-near-the-nurburgring.html

ford-fiesta-st-spy-photos-01.jpg

The next-generation Ford Fiesta ST has been spied testing near the world famous Nurburgring.

Earlier this month, spy photographers caught the standard 2018 Ford Fiesta testing and now the hotter Fiesta ST has made an appearance, hinting that the high-performance variant won?t be far behind. Unlike the Ford Fiesta prototype that was spied in early June, this prototype features a larger cooler of sorts up front, suggesting that it?s packing more power under the hood.

The next-generation Ford Fiesta will grow in size compared to the current model, as Ford looks to move upmarket with its popular hatchback.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I was just rushing over here to post this from Automobile mag lol now let me read all the other goodies you linked!

Oh I hope those make production! We'll have that nice factory option up for sale in the classifieds soon enough. Similar to the old RS wheels without the mark up or hustle to find a clean set :)

START RANT

We anticipate a six-speed manual transmission again will be standard, but there?s an outside possibility that Ford could drum up a sportier, heavier-duty version of the regular Fiesta?s optional six-speed dual-clutch automatic to appeal to a wider swath of buyers.
No, no... really... ?? Please cite your "outside possibility". You shift your own gears in a car like this. It's 45% of the fun. And what wider "swath of buyers", they would probably be better off in a slightly modded Fiesta SE. People, if physically able, will learn manual, to drive a car like this. There are many are this forum who did just this. Why, Car & Driver, no, just no.

Besides existing in a class by itself, the ST is inexpensive, efficient, and huge fun to drive?perfect for younger, performance-savvy buyers who may lust after a Mustang GT but can?t afford one.
Perfect for younger buyers, ha, most of us are in our 30s and 40s than early twenties. I think most FiST owners could have easily afforded a GT, but consciously made a decision to buy the 21,000-26,000 dollar econo-hatchback and promptly went on to sink another 1000 to 2000 with mods. No knock against the Mustang, but no one considering a FiST would "lust" after a Mustang GT, we're too busy looking at the RS.

Car and Driver...[???:)]

END RANT

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
START RANT

Perfect for younger buyers, ha, most of us are in our 30s and 40s than early twenties. I think most FiST owners could have easily afforded a GT, but consciously made a decision to buy the 21,000-26,000 dollar econo-hatchback and promptly went on to sink another 1000 to 2000 with mods. No knock against the Mustang, but no one considering a FiST would "lust" after a Mustang GT, we're too busy looking at the RS.

Car and Driver...[???:)]

END RANT
Yup! 39 yrs young and you hit the nail right on the head. But I sank more like 4k in mods. Leased it swearing "I was done modding" HA!

And if the next one is a DCT...Don't care. Already got mine. Ours will also likely go up in value if they nix the 6 speed.

+1.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but cars like this rarely stay pure... they pretty much always get tainted with executives trying to capitalize on the accolades by dumbing it down for mass appeal.

My prediction is far softer suspension, longer wheelbase and heavier so they can get more room inside, less pinchy Recaro's, and some sort of automatic option
True, that's where the ST-Line in Europe steps in though, the looks of the ST without the higher tax bracket, fuel costs, insurance. I can see softer suspension across the line, as well as the larger Recaros, making it more accessible. But I also see the FiST continuing very close to it's roots, being that the FiST even existing was sort of a pet project for Ford engineers after Focus ST development. If Ford knows what's best for them they will not introduce an auto-ST. It's just that I know that the people that buy an auto econo-box want it to be cheap and comfortable. A ST-suspension, twitchy-steering, lower fuel economy, and a higher cost are not high points in their eyes. They would just rather step up to a Focus at that point.

TheStig

Is it bad that the biggest change I want is visibly not done.

WHERE ARE THE PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS AT FORD?

Maybe the production model will have them.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
the OE intercooler looks to be much bigger which is nice! I think the wheels on the mules looks awesome!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
If this thing comes with a displacement bump I will do very bad things to get this car.
I doubt it, there has been no talk of any new small displacement ecoboost motors in the 1.8-2.0 range, and highly unlikely that Ford will make a one off motor just for the new Fiesta ST.

Frankly I would be surprised if they don't go to the 1.5 to bring inline with the rest of the lineup and phase out the 1.6 ecoboost.

I doubt it, there has been no talk of any new small displacement ecoboost motors in the 1.8-2.0 range, and highly unlikely that Ford will make a one off motor just for the new Fiesta ST.

Frankly I would be surprised if they don't go to the 1.5 to bring inline with the rest of the lineup and phase out the 1.6 ecoboost.
Same. I know the Fusion could be had in the 1.6 a MY or two ago, but they phased it out to keep it in line with foreign options due to regulations, now only the 1.5 is available.

I just checked Ford's US lineup, and the only other vehicle available with the 1.6 ecoboost is the transit connect, the remaining vehicles use the 1.5.

I think the next Fiesta ST will continue with the 1.6 litre, probably with a slight power boost.
I believe this is the engine used in Formula Ford racecars, and I think we're lucky to have it. Its development for that application is probably the reason that it is so (relatively) bulletproof.
They have a new twin-scroll for the 2.0 litre Ecoboost; maybe they'll develop one for our platform.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
the OE intercooler looks to be much bigger which is nice! I think the wheels on the mules looks awesome!
Yes, I wish that the current ones came with those OZ/RD type wheels standard. :(

Instead of making this car bigger and heavier, how about making a 2 door, AWD RS version of the current car available, for LESS of a premium (and NOT as limited a build run) than the Focus RS?!?!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe this is the engine used in Formula Ford racecars, and I think we're lucky to have it. Its development for that application is probably the reason that it is so (relatively) bulletproof.
I was just watching the Brit Formula Ford series on MAV TV today, and was thinking/wondering IF they were using the 1.6 EcoBoost in them (hoping they were!)?

Those are cool little, modern aero/suspension tech Formula race cars, MUCH sweeter than what used to be FF (and even Formula Continental). [driving][cool]

Instead of making this car bigger and heavier, how about making a 2 door, AWD RS version of the current car available, for LESS of a premium (and NOT as limited a build run) than the Focus RS?!?!
Biggest issue with an AWD Fiesta is the rear flex beam suspension. Fitting in a proper rear diff and independent suspension would be a nightmare, and definitely not cost effective. The Focus has an independent rear, so all they had to do was route a driveshaft and mount a diff (I know, "all" is relative). Not even considering whether the tunnel would have room for a driveshaft and exhaust...

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I think the next Fiesta ST will continue with the 1.6 litre, probably with a slight power boost.
They have a new twin-scroll for the 2.0 litre Ecoboost; maybe they'll develop one for our platform.
I think you're right, according to this site. I hadn't known our engines had this racing history-

http://performance.ford.com/series/...dopts-fia-formula-4-regulations-for-2015.html
a few excerpts below-

Formula Ford evolution
In 2012 the lightweight turbocharged 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine found in the highly acclaimed Fiesta ST was adopted by Formula Ford along with a raft of safety measures which have led to the chassis we see racing today.

Formula Ford is to adopt the FIA Formula 4 Regulations and guidelines in Britain from 2015 onwards.The cars will be powered by the potent and durable 1.6-litre Ford EcoBoost engine which has been successfully race-proven in Formula Ford during the last three seasons of competition.

Even more impressive, it's in stock form
http://epub.performanceracing.com/a...placement_Engines/1458810/168013/article.html

Ford?s 1.6-liter, four-cylinder EcoBoost engine is very much involved in competition. The British Formula Ford Championship currently runs the 1.6 in essentially stock tune?the same 197-horsepower engine US consumers will be able to buy off the showroom floor in the 2014 Ford Fiesta ST.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think you're right, according to this site. I hadn't known our engines had this racing history-

http://performance.ford.com/series/...dopts-fia-formula-4-regulations-for-2015.html
a few excerpts below-

Formula Ford evolution
In 2012 the lightweight turbocharged 1.6-litre EcoBoost engine found in the highly acclaimed Fiesta ST was adopted by Formula Ford along with a raft of safety measures which have led to the chassis we see racing today.

Formula Ford is to adopt the FIA Formula 4 Regulations and guidelines in Britain from 2015 onwards.The cars will be powered by the potent and durable 1.6-litre Ford EcoBoost engine which has been successfully race-proven in Formula Ford during the last three seasons of competition.

Even more impressive, it's in stock form
http://epub.performanceracing.com/a...placement_Engines/1458810/168013/article.html

Ford?s 1.6-liter, four-cylinder EcoBoost engine is very much involved in competition. The British Formula Ford Championship currently runs the 1.6 in essentially stock tune?the same 197-horsepower engine US consumers will be able to buy off the showroom floor in the 2014 Ford Fiesta ST.
^^^ TOO [cool] [twothumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Biggest issue with an AWD Fiesta is the rear flex beam suspension. Fitting in a proper rear diff and independent suspension would be a nightmare, and definitely not cost effective. The Focus has an independent rear, so all they had to do was route a driveshaft and mount a diff (I know, "all" is relative). Not even considering whether the tunnel would have room for a driveshaft and exhaust...
Of course, but we CAN dream, no?

The LEAST they could have done is try to US DOT/NHTSA test/approve the Euro/Brit 2 door version ST, and offer that to U.S. [wink]

So the 1.6 has a racing pedigree? Nice, I always knew it was a winner.

Future options 2DR please!!!. I doubt they will put a large motor, not up todate on Ford's lineup, but I'd bet smaller or larger displacement. Projector headlights please!!! Hoping they would fit on our years. All in all the FIST was so well made I doubt they really have a whole lot to bring to the table for a refresh. Id bet on mostly visual upgrades and a small bump to HP(5-7hp).

Do like those rims :)