Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What exactly is needed to safely increase boost

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the forum and tuning in general but I've been looking into upgrades for my FiST...so far I've purchased the COBB stage 1 kit. I've been looking pretty far down the line and I was hoping to get some clarification on increasing boost. From what I understand the stock BOV can only handle up to about 23-24 PSI without leaking and possibly cracking a little ways down the line. I've been looking into get a BOV (after intake and intercooler) and was wondering if the only way to increase boost is by tune or something with upgrading the wastegate? I'd like to effectively run about 26 PSI. Hopefully this is in the correct section.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
All the info you could possibly need is on this page and possibly the 2nd.

Essentially it is kinda pointless. If you look at the temps out of the turbo, it is just making heat at that point. The turbo tapers down to about 12-14 psi towards redline anyway, so what you would be doing is adding more power at 2.5k-3.3k...which this car already has plenty of. I don't know about how you drive, but I roast tires in first and second already.

The best thing you could do is get a FMIC and go with a Cobb OTS "stage 2" tune, or get a custom be from any one of the guys with a great reputation on the forum here. You don't need a Cobb intercooler, pretty much any one will work. The stock intercooler heatsoaks EXTREMELY quick. Since it is pretty hot this summer, you would gain a lot of real world, consistent power.

From everything I have read a intercooler, downpipe/exhaust and a programmer/tune is your first step. An exhaust is not really necessary though.

From everything I have read a intercooler, downpipe/exhaust and a programmer/tune is your first step. An exhaust is not really necessary though.
Eh, the more I read, the more I feel the stock downpipe and exhaust are fine. I mean, it is a 1.6L engine; not that big at all. I'm still trying to convince myself that the Cobb stage 3 gains are more from the tune than the turboback.

Don't get me wrong, think there are some gains to be made for the downpipe, but on the stock turbo I don't think there is more than 5hp to be made from the rest of it.

OP
A
Thread Starter #6
The best thing you could do is get a FMIC and go with a Cobb OTS "stage 2" tune, or get a custom be from any one of the guys with a great reputation on the forum here. You don't need a Cobb intercooler, pretty much any one will work. The stock intercooler heatsoaks EXTREMELY quick. Since it is pretty hot this summer, you would gain a lot of real world, consistent power.
Yeah, I already ordered my intercooler (hoping it'll be here before the weekend!) and of course I have the stage one already. I was just talking for further down the line after FMIC, intake, DP/exhaust. But that brings me to another question...which I had seen asked before but now I can't find it. Should you run a Stage 2 map with FMIC and drop in filter if you don't have the intake? My fiesta is a 2016 so there aren't many options on intake. Actually only one that I've seen.

OP
A
Thread Starter #7
Don't get me wrong, think there are some gains to be made for the downpipe, but on the stock turbo I don't think there is more than 5hp to be made from the rest of it.
Almost everywhere I've read says pretty much the same. DP being far more important than cat-back.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Best exhaust results with stock turbo is with 2.5" catback with stock downpipe according to Adam at Tune+.

Cheapest Stage 3 route would be FSWerks catback, intake of your choice, rear motor mount and front mount intercooler.

As everyone is stating I'd do FMIC, Cobb AP, down pipe and resignator delete I believe the stock exhaust has been proven to flow good to 300 WHP and the stock turbo won't go anywhere near them numbers as far as I know

Pretty Interesting, i have had a couple turbo cars always Helped but the turbos def were bigger then the fiestas, maybe I'd be better off spending the cash on a decent exhaust set up/front mount

AzNightmare

According to Tune+ (Adam), afternarket DP gives gains but all in the low end. The power tapers off the same around 5k.
He recommends stock DP + exhaust, which gives gains across the whole range

This is from my understanding anyway

Eh, the more I read, the more I feel the stock downpipe and exhaust are fine. I mean, it is a 1.6L engine; not that big at all. I'm still trying to convince myself that the Cobb stage 3 gains are more from the tune than the turboback.
Generally, gains are from the tune. The parts themselves don't do anything but help support the more aggressive tune.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
According to Tune+ (Adam), afternarket DP gives gains but all in the low end. The power tapers off the same around 5k.
He recommends stock DP + exhaust, which gives gains across the whole range

This is from my understanding anyway
That's correct. I talked to him about this recently.

OP
A
Thread Starter #14
As everyone is stating I'd do FMIC, Cobb AP, down pipe and resignator delete I believe the stock exhaust has been proven to flow good to 300 WHP and the stock turbo won't go anywhere near them numbers as far as I know
Yeah my FMIC and short shift are on their way. What's the resonator? How does that differ from the symposer?

Yeah, I already ordered my intercooler (hoping it'll be here before the weekend!) and of course I have the stage one already. I was just talking for further down the line after FMIC, intake, DP/exhaust. But that brings me to another question...which I had seen asked before but now I can't find it. Should you run a Stage 2 map with FMIC and drop in filter if you don't have the intake? My fiesta is a 2016 so there aren't many options on intake. Actually only one that I've seen.
I won't worry about it too much, point is to make sure the air coming in is cold. The stock intake does this pretty well, it is actually a real "cold air" intake. If you feel the need, a drop in Green Filter or K&N will do something. I have a Green Filter and a "stock-like" paper filter. I use the green filter only 5% of the time. Granted I drive down some unpaved dirt or gravel roads, and if someone it driving in front of me the paper filter actually filters out the massive amount of dust my intake could ingest. The oiled filters on the market do have gains, but realize it is at the cost of reduced filtering ability. It would kill my car if I had a "performance" filter on out in the sticks, they really are just rock/leaf catchers.

Edit: This may be a bit harsh. I've seen rally cars use K&N filters, but they put a water and dust resistant cover over the filter in the engine bay to keep junk out. Mishimoto has a '16 Fiesta ST intake out I think. If you do get an aftermarket intake, make sure it is pulling from the front bumper like the stock one is.

I did the mountune drop in filter and induction hose and I'm happy with that as far as intake goes, slightly louder the intake def does a decent job stock...I was thinking resonator delete next maybe muffler delete not sure yet

OP
A
Thread Starter #19
Oh okay, I was just wondering if it'd be fine to run a stage 2 ots map without the intake after my FMIC install. I ordered the Injen intake for the 16. Really just want to do stage 2 and springs or coilovers with some sway bars and call it good.