Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need some advice deciding which car to pursue

Hi everyone

I have decided that I want to buy a Fiesta ST. Used examples of this car are hard to come by! I have narrowed down on two possibilities around my area and was wondering if you guys could help me figure out which one to pursue

Option 1:

2014 Base model in Kona Blue (no Recaros)
54285 miles
$12,997

Value wise this seems like a great option to me. However there are a couple of concerns I have
Here is the carfax report of the car: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=3FADP4GX9EM153851

1. It has very high mileage for a car this age! The 3rd owner drove ~26k miles in just 8 months. I am concerned this may have been modified/used for auto x or something of that kind.

2. It has some weird blue/red round thing stuck on the center console. I have been trying to figure out what this is but I couldnt. This suggests to me again that it has been modified.
https://www.cstatic-images.com/supersized/6/6/5/63/5e240cb948ffe5694fa4650d13b.jpg

3. The CarFax history shows it had a "transmission overhaul" at 54298 miles. Seems this happened after it was traded in and was done at a Ford dealership.

4. It was originally listed for $16.5k on 4/30/16 and has gone multiple price drops to reach its current valuation.

I like the car as far as a value proposition goes but I am worried this may be a lemon and hence the various potential red flags I noticed. Of course ideal for me would be test drive this and get it independently checked out by a mechanic but this car is a 5 hour drive away from me and I am cannot make multiple trips. I just wanted to get some opinions if this one is worth pursuing.

Option 2:
2014 White Fiesta ST with Recaros
Certified Pre-Owned
26001 miles
$17,522

This car looked great to me in vacuum but all I am wondering is if this is a fair price. Of course I want to make minor modifications on the car as the time goes (intercooler/exhaust/tune) which will most likely void the warranty. I was just wondering if the assurance of a car in good condition with much less miles is worth the extra $4.5k.

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions will be helpful.

As an aside, I have often heard people say end of the month is the best time to buy the car. The end of the month and the quarter is coming up. Do you guys feel I will gain anything substantial by buying right now? I would ideally want to wait till mid next month to buy this.

PS: I have driven a cheap '99 Mercury Tracer for the last 5 years and as much as I love that car I am really ready to move on to a proper car now!

I'd go for the lower mileage certified car, if anything just because it has Recaros. The Recaros are a must have for me. You could always offer 17k, which for a certified ST with 26k miles, isn't bad at all.

Intercooler/exhaust/tune won't necessarily void your warranty. But these cars are very reliable for the most part.

I was recently in a similar position when deciding. I even considered the same blue 2014 that you referenced here (I'm in NM). My initial thought was to buy a bog standard model with no options to save money. As I went through listing after listing, consulting this forum, and realizing that I plan to have this car for around the next decade; I went with the lower mileage option in my area. For what it's worth, the Recaro seats are by far the best decision I have ever made.

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
I'd go for the lower mileage certified car, if anything just because it has Recaros. The Recaros are a must have for me. You could always offer 17k, which for a certified ST with 26k miles, isn't bad at all.

Intercooler/exhaust/tune won't necessarily void your warranty. But these cars are very reliable for the most part.
I am actually hoping I can leverage it lower than 17k based on the fact that not a lot of people want to buy this car. At least in my area (Houston) I have been keeping tabs on all FiSTs listed for last 1 month and not a single one has been sold!

I am just trying to find a PDF of the Ford CPO warranty brochures to see if the mods will actually ruin the warranty. They do include a drivetrain warranty up to 100k mi./5 years which is tempting!

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
I was recently in a similar position when deciding. I even considered the same blue 2014 that you referenced here (I'm in NM). My initial thought was to buy a bog standard model with no options to save money. As I went through listing after listing, consulting this forum, and realizing that I plan to have this car for around the next decade; I went with the lower mileage option in my area. For what it's worth, the Recaro seats are by far the best decision I have ever made.
This is hilarious! Not only our predicaments are extremely similar I will be moving right on the border of NM (El Paso) very soon. Which is actually one of the reasons I am looking to change my old but reliable shitbox!

This is hilarious! Not only our predicaments are extremely similar I will be moving right on the border of NM (El Paso) very soon. Which is actually one of the reasons I am looking to change my old but reliable shitbox!
That's awesome! Have you had a chance to drive a FiST with the Recaro seats and one with the regular seats?

OP
C
Thread Starter #7
That's awesome! Have you had a chance to drive a FiST with the Recaro seats and one with the regular seats?
Have only driven a non-recaro one so far. Planning to schedule a test drive on this one soon. I also want to talk to a couple of CUs to figure out my financing options.

Have only driven a non-recaro one so far. Planning to schedule a test drive on this one soon. I also want to talk to a couple of CUs to figure out my financing options.
The Recaro seats will definitely help make the decision easier. Credit unions seem to be offering some great rates lately as well. Can't wait to see your new purchase!

Definitely get some seat time with the Recaros before you buy. As you can see from the above, some like them. I actually did not find them comfortable for everyday driving and went with the standard seats as a result. If I tracked my car the Recaros would be necessary. But as a DD they're not for me.

My opinion, start with option 1. offer them $12000 maybe get the price down some more.
You are planning on modding the car so no need to worry about wether the warranty will be effected by your mods or not.
Find out if they have extended the warranty on the transmission they just overhauled in case something didn't go back together right.
Maybe even find out why the overhaul and did they replace all the wear components while they had it apart.
use all the extra money you just saved on payments for your mods.
Still have a mechanic check it out before making a final decision.

2014, Kona blue? I heard this was a 2016 only (so far) color option. Maybe performance blue?

Pay the bit extra to get the car that shows to be in better shape/optioned. I would not chance it with a high mileage car, unless you plan to overhaul the car yourself very eventually (ie mod the shit out of it) in this case, go for the better chassis and power/drive train... (again probably the lower mileage one). I am not sure if the price difference is significant enough to say "well, I can always use the money I saved to overhaul whatever breaks on the car"

And the Recaro's break in real nicely... like a good pair of leather boots. You would need at least 20 or so hours in the seat to break it in fully... or approximately 500 miles if a new car... the used car may already be broken in. My seats are getting more comfortable by the day and I only have <800 miles on the car. Also I do think its a superior autox seat since... well even my wife doesn't slide around when I drive like an idiot. :)

Last but not least, and probably the best advice I can offer is to go with the car that makes you more comfortable to buy. I am comfortable buying as new as possible because I do not like sloppy seconds, I have no faith in other drivers/car owners :p.. YMMV... it is also why I no longer look at expensive cars and ended up here, one of the best cheap cars money can buy, I am not allowed to incur any more debt due to my "comfort" zone (see: married).

Someone once said... When in doubt flip a coin, your decision is made when the coin is in mid air.

TLDR: I'd throw a offer out for the white one... 16k and see what they do.

2014, Kona blue? I heard this was a 2016 only (so far) color option. Maybe performance blue?

Pay the bit extra to get the car that shows to be in better shape/optioned. I would not chance it with a high mileage car, unless you plan to overhaul the car yourself very eventually (ie mod the shit out of it) in this case, go for the better chassis and power/drive train... (again probably the lower mileage one). I am not sure if the price difference is significant enough to say "well, I can always use the money I saved to overhaul whatever breaks on the car"

And the Recaro's break in real nicely... like a good pair of leather boots. You would need at least 20 or so hours in the seat to break it in fully... or approximately 500 miles if a new car... the used car may already be broken in. My seats are getting more comfortable by the day and I only have <800 miles on the car. Also I do think its a superior autox seat since... well even my wife doesn't slide around when I drive like an idiot. :)

Last but not least, and probably the best advice I can offer is to go with the car that makes you more comfortable to buy. I am comfortable buying as new as possible because I do not like sloppy seconds, I have no faith in other drivers/car owners :p.. YMMV... it is also why I no longer look at expensive cars and ended up here, one of the best cheap cars money can buy, I am not allowed to incur any more debt due to my "comfort" zone (see: married).

Someone once said... When in doubt flip a coin, your decision is made when the coin is in mid air.

TLDR: I'd throw a offer out for the white one... 16k and see what they do.
This pretty much sums everything up perfectly.

I'd recommend the lower mileage option. I just went down this same route, and paid more for my car that had less mileage. Peace of mind comes at a price. I think you could get the price down on that one. I paid 17.2 OTD for my 14 with 30k miles.

Waterfan

For comparison I bought October 2015 in Southern California:
2014 CPO White, RECAROS, Nav, Rado Grey/Red Caliper Covers, (also aftermarket tint and rally armor flaps)
17k miles

$19.4k OTD, (down from 19.7k advertised, TTL not included) I feel like I got a solid deal on the exact car I wanted. Zero buyers remorse.

Also voting for lower mileage car, you will inherit whatever is left on the warranty for some added peace of mind/value (their 3y/36k bumper to bumper is really nice)