Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cold Side Intercooler hose popping off

This is the second time this has happened. I have the Depo Racing intercooler with stock piping. I'll be cruising around (both times have been AFTER some spirited driving) and the cold side of the intercooler pipe will pop off. This is slightly annoying as i have to drive back home with no boost to get the hose back on. I am tightening the hose clamp until it wont turn anymore. Are there any other people who have encountered something similar or any suggestions to keep this from happening?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Get T-bolt clamps or an aftermarket charge pipe kit that includes t-bolt clamps.

OP
Thread Starter #4
Cool T bolt clamp looks good! Are there any gains to be had with the hard pipes? I mean if I'm going down there anyway i'm debating doing that... if there are no gains though then im not going to waste the money or time

I'd like to hear more what the car felt like with no boost. Was it extremely obvious? Did it drive OK except for being slower?

OP
Thread Starter #6
It was INCREDIBLY obvious lol!!!!! even in 3rd gear it couldn't even really get above 4k rpm. I switched map slots on the accessport to my low boost slot and that seemed to help a bit. But in terms of the driving it was fine just soooooooo slooowwwww no pull.... no.... nothing

According to Mishimoto, there's HP to be had with hard pipes. Check out their R&D thread on intercooler piping.

Cool T bolt clamp looks good! Are there any gains to be had with the hard pipes? I mean if I'm going down there anyway i'm debating doing that... if there are no gains though then im not going to waste the money or time

This just happened to my car....is there any way to get to the cold side of the intercooler to fix the clamp without taking off the whole damn bumper? I really hope so....thanks

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
This is the second time this has happened. I have the Depo Racing intercooler with stock piping. I'll be cruising around (both times have been AFTER some spirited driving) and the cold side of the intercooler pipe will pop off. This is slightly annoying as i have to drive back home with no boost to get the hose back on. I am tightening the hose clamp until it wont turn anymore. Are there any other people who have encountered something similar or any suggestions to keep this from happening?
If you like the look of hard pipes go for it, but otherwise keep your money and buy T-clamps.

This just happened to my car....is there any way to get to the cold side of the intercooler to fix the clamp without taking off the whole damn bumper? I really hope so....thanks
Should be pretty easy if you get the front end up on ramps or jack stands, I just went through and checked all my clamps recently without trouble. An old trick I use to make the connection stay on better is hairspray, as well as, t-bolt clamps. The hairspray is sticky when it drys and helps hold the hose. Just remember that if the hose fully blows off the intercooler or wherever the engine is consuming unfiltered air.

Should be pretty easy if you get the front end up on ramps or jack stands, I just went through and checked all my clamps recently without trouble. An old trick I use to make the connection stay on better is hairspray, as well as, t-bolt clamps. The hairspray is sticky when it drys and helps hold the hose. Just remember that if the hose fully blows off the intercooler or wherever the engine is consuming unfiltered air.

Thanks. I switched my map to the eco slot to prevent as much boost as possible. I also tried to slide the hose back on to the intercooler as best I could without tools or a ramp to prevent that dirty air as best I could. Once I get home i'm going to see what I can do to re-tighten the existing clamp...t-bolt clamps are getting ordered today as well.