Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

15x8 and 225 45r15?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I for one have used R compounds on the street and understand the drawbacks. I still like them and plan on getting a set of Toyo R888 in 225/50x15 for my TD 1.2's when they arrive this month. They even come in a 235/50x15 which might fit.

I like the 225/50's because they are 0.3" taller than OEM vs. the 225/45 which run about 1/2" smaller in diameter than stock.

(bolded above);

Would those work on a 35mm 15x8, or would they stick out of the fenders like a Prepared class autocross car??

I ask because I noticed that your 225/50 888s on the 15x8s already peek outside the fenders somewhat, but still look GREAT anyway. ;)

Have you found ANY 225/50-15s that are NOT semi-slick, 100 tread wear, track like tires (I have not :( )?
It rains too much, and too hard when it does around here to be caught out on something like the 888s, or AO48s, and between their needed camber settings, and their cost, the RA-1s are very impractical (although wet weather usable at full tread depth).

(bolded above);

Would those work on a 35mm 15x8, or would they stick out of the fenders like a Prepared class autocross car??

I ask because I noticed that your 225/50 888s on the 15x8s already peek outside the fenders somewhat, but still look GREAT anyway. ;)

Have you found ANY 225/50-15s that are NOT semi-slick, 100 tread wear, track like tires (I have not :( )?
It rains too much, and too hard when it does around here to be caught out on something like the 888s, or AO48s, and between their needed camber settings, and their cost, the RA-1s are very impractical (although wet weather usable at full tread depth).
Mine are the 15x8 et35's and yes, the rears do stick out a bit. I'm going for a roll and pull and hope that takes care of it. The 235/50's would not fit. My fronts are fine. And no, besides the 225/50's listed on tire rack, I haven't found any 200 treadwear in that size. So, for most people, what I did is probably impractical.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Mine are the 15x8 et35's and yes, the rears do stick out a bit. I'm going for a roll and pull and hope that takes care of it. The 235/50's would not fit. My fronts are fine. And no, besides the 225/50's listed on tire rack, I haven't found any 200 treadwear in that size. So, for most people, what I did is probably impractical.
I was just wondering how much worse the 235/50s would be (IF I ever risked trying the 888s) in that respect, AND if they might scrape, whereas your setup does not. [dunno]

My TD 15x8 PR 1.2s finally landed (ET 35). They are in high power silver. In keeping with my car's stated "objective" of being comparatively stealthy, these do not make my car stand out visually, but I'm happy with their effect. I think they look a little more interesting in person than in the pics, but I've included a few pics that I snappped.

Tires: Hankook RS-3 (Version 2) in 225/45-15.

They appear to sit very square. My car has a very slight drop. It's nearly stock. I loathe rubbing at the track and it helps reduce the rubbing to retain some gap (given a moderately stiff setting for the coilovers). The setup (in my way of looking at wheels/tires) fits nicely. The wheels actually stick out slightly from the edge of the wheel well with the 35 mm offset. They would not easily tuck if the car was slammed -- which is not a concern for me, just an observation

The lighting was not perfect, but here's what I've got.

Whats that rear wing? It looks awesome.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
15x8s mounted on 225/45/15s this morning. This is my track set up. Shout out to Raam for the tire advice!

I plan on using that setup for the STREET in summer!
But, ANY way you cut it, that is some wicked sweet rolling stock! [twothumb]

IF I ever get a pure track setup (that I actually put on the car AT the track), it will have Hoosier R7s/BFG R1s on it, but that would only be after I have lots of seat time in this thing, and learn how to drive it first (and fast), vs. the RWD I am coming from. [wink]

B-Stone does not currently make the RE71s in that size??
(I know they are taking their sweet old time about releasing new sizes in that much in demand donut. :( )
I really wish they did make RE71s in 225/45/15s - I love my 205/45/16 RE71s on my current track setup, however RE71s only come in 205/50/15, from what I can find....debating rubber for a 15inch setup for next summer.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF I were getting a set of track EXCLUSIVE wheels/tires, they would have to be at least as sticky as a 100 tread wear option, if not even way lower in tread wear than that (00/40/80).

To me, the whole purpose of the 200 tread wear donuts is to be able to drive them on the street, to the track, lap, and then drive home again, and on the street again without bothering with a jack, and carrying wheels/tires inside the car (albeit with at least noticeably less performance/stick than the 100 and below tread wear gumballs). [wink]

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have hauled plenty of track wheels and tires to events over the years, 285/35/18 for road courses, 305/30/18 for autocrosses in the back of a shockingly quick Forester XT for an example and they fit in the hatch with a tool back, jack stands and floor jack:) I liked to have somebody available to drive my truck and trailer out to the event if something went wrong on those days or days I drove on the race tires to the events.

Has anyone looked further into the new Hankook RS-4's or the new Rival S 1.5's? Compared them to Federal's 595RS-R(RR)?

Thx!
Here's the first couple impressions that I found of the RS-4 vs. Rival S 1.5

http://www.miataturbo.net/wheels-tires-78/hankook-rs-4-a-92176/page4/#post1398253
http://www.miataturbo.net/wheels-tires-78/hankook-rs-4-a-92176/page5/#post1398435
http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2017/3/19/tire-test-toyo-r888r-and-hankook-rs4

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
If I was keeping the car I would be looking into moving up from 15x9 wheels with 225 Rival S to 15x10 wheels with 245/40/15 Rival S 1.5 or the RS4!

It would take real fender flares in the rear meaning cutting the fenders and liner, welding in a filler, lots of work I have done on other cars and finding a place to do it now that I no longer have a shop, lift, etc...being full time RVing.

If I did that I would also have 15x11 wheels with 275/40/17 race tires:)

-------------

Glad to see the Rival S 1.5 as the regular S is a bit soft in the sidewall, why I run my 225s on 9" wide wheels to stiffen up the response. I love the tires for instant grip as long as the weather is warm, they do not take much to heat up which works well on the street and for autocross but not on a long canyon run or race track. The stiffer sidewall should make them work better on an 8" wide wheel than they did in the past, something that was proven in real testing.

The Rival S worked great with 320WHP, 300ftlbs, hard hitting torque at 4500rpm, had to hang on with lots of torque steer, they did not spin in second gear on any decent street surface, that is pretty amazing.

The RS4 might be better for a mulit purpose tire, track, autocross and street use.

I would want to see some real testing done and reviews by those that are known to be at the top of the game in such tires before I picked either one.

Since the Rival S has the same tread compound as the 1.5 I would venture to say it is still the best for use as I have mine for and the RS4 the better multi use tire.

Great to see the new wider sticky tires for small wheels coming out:)

EDIT:

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Wow, I just read one of the threads posted and watched the autocross run, I have hit close to 90MPH on that parking lot, 90 second runs, back in 02-03, damn fun but spoiled me so I rarely autocross now as to slow, to short.

The RS4 has become quite the tire and I would now likely stay with 225 on 15x9 as not added work to do on the car or go to 245 on 9 or 10" wheels once I see more results, I have 10 of the 15x9 wheels...damn this is making me want to keep the car when it does not suite our needs any longer.......

I would not need race tires to be fast enough it seems and the only 275 are Hoosiers at $300 a pop and are done at 50% tread use.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I have had a lot of track experience with the R888 and RA1 and liked the RA1 better but made some damn fast laps with each, great wear, feedback was good, both can take a lot of punishment if over driving the car, both were cheap as low use, fresh take offs from race teams. I have use tires from 225 up to 335 tread widths on moderate power to some pretty high powered cars.

From what I am seeing so far the RS4 could be the best all around tire made yet, long lasting, fast, low price, it is nice to be able to drive to the track and run the tires on the car instead of swapping tires or trailering the car.

We need more testing of course but this is exciting stuff indeed, being able to buy fast all around tires that wear well, priced low enough to not have to buy used track tires(which were a hell of a bargain in 335/30/18 at less than $100 each but no so much a bargain in 225/45/15's) Even if a little slower than can be made up in just driving better, setup tweaks, etc...unless a champion caliber car and driver but I haver never quite been both, close....not counting my early 510 autocross days in the 70s' where I got tired of winning all the time, loosing a close 2nd or 3rd in the wrong car against formidable competition is far more rewarding:)

I just had a talk with my wife, she has been so supporting over the years while I really did blow hundreds of thousands of dollars I wish I still had some of now that am retired the last 4 years....she is cool with me going back to a low budget but quick street/track Miata, which is really easy to do, I sure will miss the ST though, love the little bugger hugely!

I think I will put 6 of my 15x9 wheels away for future use:)

Thanks for posting the links to the newer tires, I have been looking at them and wanting to hear more about them!

Rick

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I know it's not your 'realm', or favor (WAY TOO "big diameter and heavy" a wheel/tire combo for you to ever consider, even for street use only), but I DO WISH that those RS4s were made in a 225/40-17! ;) [:(]

Wow, I just read one of the threads posted and watched the autocross run, I have hit close to 90MPH on that parking lot, 90 second runs, back in 02-03, damn fun but spoiled me so I rarely autocross now as to slow, to short.

The RS4 has become quite the tire and I would now likely stay with 225 on 15x9 as not added work to do on the car or go to 245 on 9 or 10" wheels once I see more results, I have 10 of the 15x9 wheels...damn this is making me want to keep the car when it does not suite our needs any longer.......

I would not need race tires to be fast enough it seems and the only 275 are Hoosiers at $300 a pop and are done at 50% tread use.
FWIW:

http://www.tracktuned.com/feed/2017/3/19/tire-test-toyo-r888r-and-hankook-rs4

I'd still stay on the bfg over the rs4. And the re-71 over the bfg. but if you need width, you're limited to those 2. The other contender is the new maxis... not too many real world reviews on that one yet.

I'm running the Nexen Nfera in 225/45/15. So far they don't like the cold at all. Very hard to get any reaction when cold during some winter autoXing. Did a few laps of VIR in slightly warmer conditions and they did better. Going to do some more track time soon before I pass judgement on them. They are cheap, but when they are done I'll probably switch to a 225/50/15 R888R for track use. I know the Rival S last forever, we used them last year for endurance racing. Not the fastest on lap times, but outlasted everything else. The Re71R wears extremely fast, but gives max grip in the 200 treadwear group.

grnmachine02

I'm in the market for some new wheels, and 15x8 sounds like just what I'm looking for. I saw mentioned earlier in this thread about 15's not allowing enough cooling to the brakes. Any truth to this? Would I be OK using 15's daily?